Radiography to Medicine..but only a C in higher Chemistry! Should I apply?

Discussion in 'Glasgow Medical School' started by Graham92, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Graham92

Graham92 New Member

Hey everyone, just thought I'd post this up to see if there is anyone in a similar situation/get some advice and see how I am getting on compared to others!

Currently studying diagnostic radiography, in the third of four years and on course for a 2:1 if not a first. Did fairly rubbish in my highers at school as I was definitely a late bloomer and the only science ones i got were a C in chemistry and a B in Physics.
    Have done a fair bit of work experience including shadowing an A&E consultant for a week, shadowing a general medicine registrar for 10 days, shadowing a consultant orthopaedic surgeon for a week including observing theatre and clinics, and shadowing a GP for a week. Plus I have spent a lot of time in a clinical setting through my radiography placement, and exposure to many different departments and areas in the hospital.
    I have volunteered with macmillan cancer charity for a year. Although I think I will need to get some more volunteering to ensure my PS is good enough.

Plan on applying to Glasgow amongst others for 2015 entry. However Glasgow would be my first choice.

I am worried about the fact I only have a C in higher chemistry. I read somewhere on here that Glasgow require the graduate applicants to have at least a B if their first degree does not contain sufficient amounts of chemistry or biology. My radiography degree however contained a year long physiology module which was to 1st year university standard. I have e-mailed the admissions office to try and gain clarification on whether my degree alone satisfies the academic entry requirements or if they would look at my school results and then reject me, but have not received any response answering my queries.

Also need to get a nice big UKCAT score and a good reference!

Any advice at all from current Glasgow medics or other applicants in a similar sitiuation would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks.

2. kaodeve

kaodeve New Member

Hi I did sufficient Chemistry in my biology degree so my C in chem was diregarded so to speak. I did 1.5 years i.e. 3 units of chem in my degree and that was enough.

How much chem have you done in your degree? physiology won't be taken instead.

As for no answer, currently the admissions peeps will be snowed under trying to send out offers and rejections for this years entry so patience needed for a reply which will come I'm sure.

UKCAT was high this year - think 702.5 average was cut-off but maybe someone else could clarify.

Good luck with your application!

3. Graham92

Graham92 New Member

Hi Kaodeve, thanks for the reply.

I haven't really done much chemistry at all, the science modules we do in Radiography are a unit of pharmacology, and a year of physiology up to first year university level, which as you said will not be accepted. I did receive an e-mail recently however from admissions after I told them about my situation saying I stand a very good chance of admission as long as i get a 1st, despite my C in higher chemistry and being told a year ago there isn't enough chemistry in my undergrad! So I'm not sure what to think.
    I plan on phoning the admissions department directly in the next couple of weeks once there a little less busy to get a clear answer whether I stand a chance of gaining entry or not.