Questions regarding application to Oxford for Medicine.

Discussion in 'Oxford Medical School' started by heartOFmedicine, Aug 18, 2012.

1. heartOFmedicine

heartOFmedicine New Member

Hey, I'm going to go into year 13 in september, so I'll be applying to universities!
    I have chosen my course; medicine.
    I was considering oxford, but I would like to clear up a few queries.

Is there a tendency for oxford to choose candidates from a comprehensive school? (when i went to the open day, all the medics i talked to said they went to a state school). Will i be at a disadvantage if I got to an independent school?

Cambridge look at each candidates individual module marks, but oxford don't! so what's the catch with oxford? which part of the process is the most important for oxford (I have 9A*s at GCSE, and have recently achieved 4As at AS in all sciences and maths, and should be getting 4A*s next year)

Also do oxford prefer you to take a non-science? I've taken maths,chem,bio,physics- and C.thinking. Are my subject choices ok for oxford (I recently found out UCL don't take on students who don't have a non-science, so was wondering if that's the case with oxford).

I realise i could just email oxford and ask them, but i figured actual students/ teachers on this forum will give a better indication as the reply from oxbridge in the past have been quite vague.

If anyone could possibly clear up my questions, I'll be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

#1 heartOFmedicine, Aug 18, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  2. heartOFmedicine

heartOFmedicine New Member

3. jcak

jcak New Member

You should probably email them, post their response up here so people with knowledge of the system can elaborate on what they've said. At the end of the day, even if they are vague, they're more qualified to answer than most of us!

4. Endeavour

Endeavour New Member

Hey, I just read this forum. I'm in AS at the moment currently studying Chemistry, Biology Maths and French and im strongly thinking about applying to Oxford medical school this september if my grades suffice. Well im guessing you've already applied to Medical school and had your interviews/ offers by now?
    How did they go? Did you eventually apply to oxford? where else did you apply? and what advise can you give me now that you wish you had known yourself when you were in my position this time last year?
    :)