Query about Health Care Assistant

ganjamozart

Hi,

Trying to secure HCA roles in London. I have no prior experience, but it's necessary for my grad med application. How did you guys secure it? I seem to be getting constant rejections?!

I think my cover letter is fine, CV is fine etc... :(

Martigan

Super Moderator
I did weekend ward volunteering and Community First Responding. HCA is very competitive, as its paid, and there are lots of people who need to do it for their own livelihood.

ganjamozart

Thank you for the response as always.

So the HCA isn't a make or break? I'm currently volunteering at Age UK and at the local hospital St Mary's in Paddington but somehow was given the impression that without HCA my application would be greatly weakened? I presume this isn't the case?

Martigan

Super Moderator
Different schools look for different things. HCA is definitely well respected, but not the only way into grad medicine. I heard a rumour that Leicester required paid healthcare employment like HCA, but I don't have that confirmed.

It's worth talking to your target schools about what the prefer. Some like breadth of experience, some like depth. When I spoke to Cambridge, I just had hospital ward patient feeding /volunteering and Hospital radio. They wanted me to seek other experiences, which is part of why I did the CFRing.