1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Q and A for UCD Grad-Med

Discussion in 'University College Dublin Medical School' started by LV1, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Dr. Mc_On_Call

Dr. Mc_On_Call New Member

Thanks for your quick response LV - this is all great!!

Liked your quote towards the end!

A lecturer once told me: only study when your minds clear, if you sit down and your head’s not with it just take a needed break - you will gain little if you continue. Secondly, he stressed the importance of balance. That one should always find their balance between work/study & life, don’t lose this/neglect any part or all three become difficult & thus will only bring unnecessary stress.

Yes totally understand/agree re: study methods - it all very much depends on ones preferred study technique/what works best!

If I’m honest, despite being a Graduate I really don’t think I have a particular technique/approach. :eek: I just study until I feel comfortable with a subject & then move on – some subjects click and with other areas I have to re-read over and over. Like you I always make the best of study/reading weeks, but equally sometimes just take a needed rest if I feel worn/tired from the weeks before to clear my head and recoup.

LV if you don’t mind me asking a few other questions:

-Why in each year did your study time increased 2nd semester? Are the subjects more intense 2nd semester?
    -How long are reading weeks before the exam period and when are exams usually held?

Sorry to bombard you with so many questions! I’m just trying to build up a picture of what life’s like as a UCD Grad.Med Student. Coming from a law background with non-science A-levels the transition to Medicine will be a very different experience Haha We only had 11 hours class made up from Lectures and seminars - we were very much left to our own way of learning after that. I am however studying A-Level Chemistry & Biology at night school to help study towards GAMSAT. I'm apply for both QUB (N.I) and UCD.

Thanks again!
    Ed :)

#21 Dr. Mc_On_Call, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  2. LV1

LV1 New Member

Hey Ed,

To be honest it was more to do with how interesting each semester was. The lecture hours are roughly the same for each semester but as we progressed it got more and more indept, clinical and interesting. So as I said, it was probably more to do with how interesting the course was getting.

For first and second year in both semester 1 and 2 exams, you get 1 week for a reading week.

You don't get any for 3rd and 4th because you'll be on rotations etc.

Semester 1 exams are usually on between the 12th-22/24rd of Dec.
    Semseser 2 then around May 14-25th.

It's a two week slot that will contain all your semester finals.
    You have mid-terms throughout each semester but these are at the discretion of each module co-ordinator.

Hope this helps! :)

3. Dr. Mc_On_Call

Dr. Mc_On_Call New Member

Hey LV,

Yes that helps a lot! Thanks for your honesty and information!

Ed

4. toufu

toufu New Member

hey LV1

The exemption application form that you mentioned can it be found online?

By the way is it the same as prior learning (APL) policy?

5. LV1

LV1 New Member

Hey Toufu,

Yep, that's it's the same thing Accreditation for Prior Learning (APL). As far as I know you have to collect them outside the Health Science Office. They're not due for 4 or 6 weeks after
    you start. So if you get all your documents together now you
    can just fill it out and drop it in in the first week.

What day to you guys start this year? You all set?

6. toufu

toufu New Member

Registration and orientation starts on 5th Sept while lectures start on the 12th.

Can't wait to start yet apprehensive about the workload. haha. Cos i guess when you start studying medicine, it never ever really ends.

7. JennyAnne

JennyAnne New Member

Hi LV! I'm not sure of this thread is still active or not.... I have a place for UCD grad med next year and despite your great posts above I have a few more questions. 'Problem Based Learning' appears to have taken over most graduate medicine courses in the UK, as someone with a non science background Im quite nervous about the idea of "self directed learning" for my medical degree, so I was wondering to what extent PBL is a part of the UCD programme, and do you find that non science students struggle compared with their classmates who have done related degrees? Secondly, I just wanted to know roughly how much time in the first two years you spend in gp practices/hospitals/work experience? And also the length of the summer christmas and easter breaks and whether you are encouraged/obliged to take work place,eats during these times? And also (this may come across as a wiers question, but I'm probably going to be one of the older people on the course, as I will be starting in my 30s) so I was wondering what the average age is on the course, and the gender balance? And whether you are permitted to take a year out during the 4 years if you needed to? LOADS of questions, I know! If you have a moment to answer them I would be very grateful! Hope you're still enjoying your training and thanks so much for all the info in this thread.

8. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

Hi Jenny Anne

I can't speak for UCD, but I'm an non-science grad over 30 on the PBL course at SGUL. I can confirm that there is not particular issue for any of the non-science grads I know and also , here at least, there are loads of 30+ (and some 40+) students.

PS UCD isn't in the UK, but in the wonderful Republic of Ireland. ;-)

9. LV1

LV1 New Member

Hi Jenny Anne,

Firstly, congratulations and welcome to UCD!

Sorry about the delay, up to my eyeballs at the min, finals coming up so either stuck in books or running around the hospital.

I'll try find an old 4 year planner they gave us regarding the semesters and holidays etc. Here's what I can remember.....

The gender mix is pretty balanced at the moment, it's about 50-50 in my class but I think it may be more 60-40 in younger years in favour of boys, I mean men haha.

I'm to be 27 this years, alot in my class (mostly North Americans) were over 29/30 when they started, the eldest being 36.

Taking a year off for a valid reason is possible as far as I know due to at least four of my friends having done it for either financial or educational reasons (Usually between 2nd and 3rd year).

The PBL sessions usually last for around 3 hours, once a week. It's a nice learning tool, hard to start but you get into it very quickly.

Don't worry about the non-science background, after about 1 month in it makes no difference. It can actually work against some people as they think they no the material, ahem.....haha

Clinical Placements:
    First Year: Semester 1
    A few hospital visits scattered throughout the year. Afternoon type thing, only 4 or 5.

Semester 2
    We spent around 5 Friday afternoon sitting in with a GP. Good craic, and good intro to the community clinical setting, everyone was still a bit clueless clinically but again, good eye opener.

Second Year: (Baby Res - people will call it this)
    Semester 1
    Sat in with another GP, a lot better this time as you're getting more familiar with clinical stuff.

Semester 2
    This semester you attend seminars in the Paediatric and OBGYN hospitals.
    You also have 1 week - ENT clinical, 1 week Optho clinical, and 2 weeks Med and 2 weeks Surg in either the Mater or Vincents hospitals. 6 weeks in total.

Year 3 (Res Year)
    Semester 1
    12 weeks in either MMUH or SVUH and a stint down in a peripheral (smaller) hospital. Med and Surg

Semester 2
    12 weeks again in either hospital. Med and Surg.

After those 12 weeks the class splits up into 2 groups:
    1 Group does 6 wks GP and 6 wks Psych
    the other does 6 wks OBGYN and 6 wks Paeds.

Everything this year is in a clinical setting except for the 3 weeks before Christmas where you do a Forensics and Legal Medicine Course.

Year 4 (Final Med)
    Semester 1
    The groups switch around, so those who did GP and Psych in Year 3 now do OBGYN and Paeds, and vice versa. (12 weeks in total)
    3 weeks before Christmas is non clinical again, this time studying a Public Health Medicine course.

Semester 2
    You get a 6 week period here to do a clinical elective of your choice, i.e 3 weeks Cardiology and 3 weeks Paediatrics, or whatever. It's mandatory as part of the curriculum but you can do you during the summer between Year 3 and Year 4 if you want.

9 weeks PCM or Professional Completion Module. It basically gets you ready as possible for progressing from student to doctor. You do sub-internships, master classes, BLS and ACLS (according to our timetable), lectures on med, surg etc.

Finito! :)

Apologies for any spelling/grammar mistakes in a hurry as usual! I left out the exam stuff as it would spoil the surprise! ;)

Let me know if you need any more info and I'll have look for that planner!

LV

10. JennyAnne

JennyAnne New Member

Dear LV,

Thanks so much for all of this! Its really great to have this information before starting!

I have my place so thats a relief (I deferred last year so I could save money).

I went for a wander around UCD when I was home over Christmas, and also shadowed a friend who is a Registrar in A and E in Vincent's - so have now started getting really excited! -I probably have no idea what I'm getting myself into work-load wise! ;-)

I've been trying to study a bit at weekends so its not such a shock (I am 10 years out of school where I only did Biology for leaving cert, and did a non Science degree so I am anticipating I really will have a steep learning curve).

If you had any suggestions as to topics to cover to make semester one of first year a bit easier - even the most basic things (assume I know nothing! -which isn't far from the truth!) I would be grateful to hear them - I saw you mentioned upper and lower limb in an earlier post?

And also, if you had an idea of holiday time during the christmas/easter/summer (I am leaving a reluctant boyfriend behind me here in Belgium so trying to placate him with promises of time together over the summer holidays ;-).

Thanks for all the info! And I hope the exams are going ok!

Jenny

11. persianmd

persianmd Member

Hi Jenny

Congrats on having your place confirmed for next year. The first semester is a bit of a shock as there is a lot of information being thrown at you from all angles and you need to get used to that pretty quickly, but I wouldnt worry too much about prior learning. YOu'll have years and years of that ahead of you so just enjoy your time now, but i know what its like and bet you are excited, so if you really cant wait, get one of the anatomy colouring in books and familiarise yourself with the skeletal muscle system (upper/lower limbs). Its a nice easy way into it and at least your having fun!

12. JennyAnne

JennyAnne New Member

Thanks Persianmd! I am excited! (and scared!). I'll definitely have a look at the upper and lower limbs then - colouring in sounds fun :) how are you finding the course? (and Dublin living?).how is the workload? (do you get to pop your head above water at all??), and are the others on the course youngish or oldish? Will I be the granny at aged 29? :) Jenny

13. persianmd

persianmd Member

Hey Jenny
    Sorry for the late reply. The course is really good, im very much enjoying it. Its only the 2nd term and we are doing lots of mediciney related things that you will look forward to im sure. Workload is ok at the moment, but you need to do a bit most days to keep on top of things otherwise you get swamped. there is a mix of age groups from 22 to a couple in their 40s i think. Most people are in their mid 20 and the 2nd largest group is late 20s.
    let me know if you have any other questions!

14. diverboy30

diverboy30 New Member

@JennyAnne

I see you have a deferred place with UCD from 2012; did you really struggle with Admissions to get this or was it relatively straight forward??