Puzzled BY Decision Analysis Score?

katyk

I'm pretty sure they see individal scores. Have no idea about putting them down on the UCAS form though.

DMXX

The books, in my opinion, are only useful for giving you a feel for the sort of questions you'll encounter.

As for the online mock test on the UKCAT site... That thing is ridiculous. I tried it last year and could barely answer any of the questions.
3 days later, I did the actual thing. I got 680/790/580/630 in VR/QR/AR/DA respectively. Yeah, not brilliant, but I had no real revision. Saying that, though, that's pretty different from what the lame mock was indicating.

And, as for finishing the subtests... I don't actually think we're meant to finish them. I did 32 of the 40 QR questions, and randomly guessed the other 8 in the time provided; still, even with doing that, I got 790. Anyone have any personal experiences to back this up?

hoonosewot88

I thought the electronic mock was brilliant to prepare with. Gave you a real good idea of how the test works and what to expect. The questions are generally a bit harder and more time-consuming, but thats a lot better than too easy questions. Books are useful for strategies and a few questions (DA mostly) but both books i read had very obvious mistakes in them.

DMXX

I thought the electronic mock was brilliant to prepare with. Gave you a real good idea of how the test works and what to expect. The questions are generally a bit harder and more time-consuming, but thats a lot better than too easy questions. Books are useful for strategies and a few questions (DA mostly) but both books i read had very obvious mistakes in them.
From an introductory standpoint, you're absolutely right; nothing can replace the online mock.

My problem with it was, it was a real morale-crusher. I was worried for the full 3 days before my actual exam, and, afterwards, felt rather confused. Now though, when I try the mock, I just find the unusual difficulty change to be annoying.

Baki

The books, in my opinion, are only useful for giving you a feel for the sort of questions you'll encounter.

As for the online mock test on the UKCAT site... That thing is ridiculous. I tried it last year and could barely answer any of the questions.
3 days later, I did the actual thing. I got 680/790/580/630 in VR/QR/AR/DA respectively. Yeah, not brilliant, but I had no real revision. Saying that, though, that's pretty different from what the lame mock was indicating.

And, as for finishing the subtests... I don't actually think we're meant to finish them. I did 32 of the 40 QR questions, and randomly guessed the other 8 in the time provided; still, even with doing that, I got 790. Anyone have any personal experiences to back this up?
I guessed about 1/4 of the last of QR if not more and ended up with 770. Lol. At any rate, I'm just hoping they deal with me individually because it'll be a real shame for the others if they cut the whole thing out.

katiec

hey guys jsut a question, did anyone not reach the review screen for any of their subtests? and if you didnt did it come out as a low score? Yeah i hope it is just isolated same as Baki, but its frustrating, theyve taken over 2 weeks to get back to me, id rather just know

Baki

hey guys jsut a question, did anyone not reach the review screen for any of their subtests? and if you didnt did it come out as a low score? Yeah i hope it is just isolated same as Baki, but its frustrating, theyve taken over 2 weeks to get back to me, id rather just know
I reached the review screen and I do remember pressing "end test" twice. :X

That said, I'm tempted to email them again just to make sure they haven't put their "investigation" on the back burner.

hoonosewot88

Sorry but i really do hope you aren't putting too much faith in Pearson scrapping a section for you. The chances of it happening are TINY. It wud be professional suicide for them.

Baki

Sorry but i really do hope you aren't putting too much faith in Pearson scrapping a section for you. The chances of it happening are TINY. It wud be professional suicide for them.
I'm not looking for them to scap a section, to be honest I'm pretty usre it's only a few isolated cases. I just want them to fix my score or atleast shed some light on it.

katiec

oh jus tto let people like baki (who feel their score is wrong) know. I eamiled UKCAT cause its been ages since they said they were reviewing test and they came back saying they were still investigating all issues with DA and should be back to us shortly.... so hopefully before xmas lol!

TEO

i thought my decision analysis would be my strongest in all - and it was the only section out of the 4 where i thought i rly did well in.

I was suprised to see a score of 530. :(

Oh well lets just see wut happens.!!

Kinkerz

When answering the questions in DA I felt like it was all going okay, but I ended up with 440 in that section - seriously dragging my overall average down!

Maybe I was just horrible at it. It always seemed to me that there were multiple answers that fit the code and I could be sure that I'd chosen the correct one, only to find out it was wrong! I hate the UKCAT...

Baki

Pearson Vue just got back to me, apparently the DA marking is fine.

Turns out that the mark system is just shit. Lol.

I guess this confirms my theory that the UKCAT is marked by pixies.

hoonosewot88

I think the problem with DA is that its incredibly hard to judge how well you are doing. Most people would have felt they were doing OK because there was plenty of time and you got to think about your answers, unlike QR which everyone had to rush through.
However with DA out of the 5 answers there were usually only one or two that were clearly wrong, picking out the correct answer took some interpretation and decision making (obviously).
I think the reason people are surprised by low scores is that they would have been picking one of those "kind of right" answers and mentally marking them as correct. The QR, AR were much mroe clear cut and VR only had 3 choices.

katiec

to an extent, pearson are really funny, i asked them to look at my individual test and they did nothing of the sort lol! sillies!

Darren A..

i was puzzled by the VR, which I thought went really well and finished in good time but got a worse score than QR in which I only got 1/3 of the way before frantically guessing:(

McWiseguy

I think the problem with DA is that its incredibly hard to judge how well you are doing. Most people would have felt they were doing OK because there was plenty of time and you got to think about your answers, unlike QR which everyone had to rush through.
However with DA out of the 5 answers there were usually only one or two that were clearly wrong, picking out the correct answer took some interpretation and decision making (obviously).
I think the reason people are surprised by low scores is that they would have been picking one of those "kind of right" answers and mentally marking them as correct. The QR, AR were much mroe clear cut and VR only had 3 choices.
I agree.