Puzzled BY Decision Analysis Score?

katiec

Hi, I sat my UKCAT about a week ago for the second time, did better than before however got totally puzzled by the alst section as its my ebs tin practice and was my best last year. Last year I got

VR: 500
QR: 610
AR:630 (totally iffy)
DA: 670 to total 600

and then this year

VR 620
QR 650
AR 760
DA 530 (blergh)

to total 640

but i thoguht that there was something wrong with decision analysis

has anyone else noticed this?

what are my chances and what are the best school to apply to with this score, im gutted, DA is supposed to be by far my best section :(

Baki

Hi, I sat my UKCAT about a week ago for the second time, did better than before however got totally puzzled by the alst section as its my ebs tin practice and was my best last year. Last year I got

VR: 500
QR: 610
AR:630 (totally iffy)
DA: 670 to total 600

and then this year

VR 620
QR 650
AR 760
DA 530 (blergh)

to total 640

but i thoguht that there was something wrong with decision analysis

has anyone else noticed this?

what are my chances and what are the best school to apply to with this score, im gutted, DA is supposed to be by far my best section :(
Ok...I'm pretty much puzzled by my DA score as well. I really think we should ask the UKCAT people about this. In the practice tests I was getting 70%+ of the questions correct in the alloted time. I felt the same happened with the actual test but it turns out I got a 400.

Then in what I thought was my weakest test (QR) I got 770. :?

I'm seriously confused. How did I get such a bad score in DA.

Baki

My god, thats pretty much what i felt, when did u sit yours?
I sat mine today. I really think there is something seriously suspect about the DA marking. Maybe it's an isolated case but I'm going to email them today or tomorrow to get some real answers.

zidza

i thought i may as well put in a different view. i did it lastt year and got 710 did it this year with teh same practice as last year and got 710 again so i would be more on the view that it was exactly the same and maybe u guys are being a bit paranoid because last year the AR was hashed up and you guys scored lower on DA this year and so you feeel that there msut be something fishy.When in fact last year u guessed a few but got them correct and this year u guessed a few but wasnt so lucky?what do u guys think?

Singh.Simran

I would guess that it is down to the marking system:

The marks are not comparable directly between subtests because they are calibrated to the averages of the test sample... so a high raw score in one may lead to a high UKCAT score, but the same raw in another might not...

..and this calibration changes year on year.

On top of that, it's a shit test.

magicsam3

hey everyone, I sat mine today too and I though the DA and AR subtests were a bit funny. At home, my worst section was the QR but I did the best in that today (760)
In the test, i felt I did so much better in the DA but it turns out I got 540

I don't get it neither

anyone know if they'll be discounthing the AR this year?

Baki

hey everyone, I sat mine today too and I though the DA and AR subtests were a bit funny. At home, my worst section was the QR but I did the best in that today (760)
In the test, i felt I did so much better in the DA but it turns out I got 540

I don't get it neither

anyone know if they'll be discounthing the AR this year?
Same here. I thought QR was my worst (This was based on the practice I did at home.) and I got 770.

I really think we should collectively e-mail the UKCAT and get them to look into this or at least shed some light on the matter.

Discounting the DA, I have a 670 average(up from 605). That said, it could be a few isolated incidents.

I would guess that it is down to the marking system:

The marks are not comparable directly between subtests because they are calibrated to the averages of the test sample... so a high raw score in one may lead to a high UKCAT score, but the same raw in another might not...

..and this calibration changes year on year.

On top of that, it's a shit test.
That makes sense, however I still feel that I did not do badly enough to warrant a 400 score. I'm more than certain I did at least average, if not better.

Last edited:

katiec

I already emailed them and they said they had had several people coming forward about it, it seems many people have scored high in AR and then abnormally low in DA, seriously decision analysis is my best section, this is why i couldnt understand it, the more people that email in the better, where did you guys take your test?

Baki

I already emailed them and they said they had had several people coming forward about it, it seems many people have scored high in AR and then abnormally low in DA, seriously decision analysis is my best section, this is why i couldnt understand it, the more people that email in the better, where did you guys take your test?
I took mine in the Holborn centre. I'll email them today, hopefully we can get our scores fixed or have it cut out.

EDIT: I've emailed them. Let's hope they get back to us.

Last edited:

princeg

omg, am i glad i have found this thread.
i too sat the test a couple of days ago.
my best section (in practice) without doubt - DA. my worst section in the test - DA. completely baffled by it all!!!

is everyone emailing the UKCAT people (i.e. Pearson)??? and what exactly are you saying?

cheers

zidza

yeah do it guys get it knocked off, then my average goes up by 3 points.id prefer if you all ahd sumet wrong wid quantitative to be honest.

katiec

mine goes up by 40 ! and that will amke such a difference, Ive noticed, either people are getting high in AR and really low in DA or people are getting really high in DA and really low in AR the whole test is screwed up!

Im actually so glad its not just me! ( oh and email pearson if ur emailing, their emails on the UKCAT website i think

Baki

I already did mine. That said, if there really is a problem with the DA ~ will it be knocked off or the people with the abnormal scores have it adjusted?

magicsam3

don't know. I wouldn't mind if they fixed up the exam and gave people a chance to do it again - not that I want to do it again but i feel it would be fair
that or adjusting people's scores like you said baki

Arch_Angel

Last year the AR was faulty (the tests were time specific, people sitting at 4pm got an average of 100 points above those at 5pm etc) so they cancelled the whole section.

They didn't tell us however, until after the UCAS date. They are blithering idiots who I wouldn't trust with a banana. They failed to appreciate that some people did more than one test and constructed their application on the basis of results.

If there is a problem with it tell them now, because if you get it cancelled after the UCAS date you run the risk of hundreds of people applying with incorrect data (like we did last year) that will exclude them from interview at places they wouldn't have applied to had they known their real score.