1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Private school vs State school

Discussion in 'A-Levels' started by Keeley, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Keeley

Keeley New Member

Okay basically, I'm now going into Year 11 but have already gained a scholarship to a private school for when I do A-Levels.
    The thing I was wondering is: do medical schools look favourably on either one? It seems like a silly question, but one of my teachers said that you're better of going to a state school because universities now have to take more applicants who come from state schools instead of private.
    Anybody know anything about this?
    Thanks!

2. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

they dont show favouritism for either body.

owever at the right kind of private schools you will gain advantages applying to many med skools that other applicants do not ave, which is why many med skools are chock a block wif private skool students. eg georges, ucl, imperial, nottingham amongst others etc.

so if you got a scholarship and you like the school then go there, macca. give yourself every chance.

tbh, i would feel better doing it wiffout a private skool's advantages, so i can see why you mite do it the other way too.

3. Keeley

Keeley New Member

Advantages? As in when you apply to uni and that?
    Well yeah I'm perfectly happy in going :)D) I was just thinking about what my teacher had said
    :)

4. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

your teacher dont know shit.

5. Keeley

Keeley New Member

Right.....
    Still, what are the advantages? (if any)

6. keiran91

keiran91 New Member

Apart from the fact that in general I'm guessing that most private schools have higher grade averages (only happens if you put the effort in), I can't see any advantages.

7. Faust

Faust New Member

It can make a difference. It's very variable though, depending on which school you go to, which unis you apply to etc.

I went to a fairly below par state school (to say the least) but I got into the local uni because they have a widening access scheme, and look favourably on students from my school, because there are very few people that go into medicine from my school.

But there obvious advantages of a private school that I didn't benefit from. extra-curricular activities that my school didn't do but would have looked good on the personal statement. good teaching, you will get spoon-fed A's etc.

8. keiran91

keiran91 New Member

Fair point, same thing with my school (state) and St. Andrews university. Unfortunately I only found this out once I had picked my four universities with St. Andrews not being one of them!

But yeh, better teaching in general.

9. Keeley

Keeley New Member

Okay cool, thanks everyone :D

10. Dr Noodle

Dr Noodle New Member

Your teacher is right, uni's do have a max quota for private school students (I don't think this has been advertised a lot) but you shouldn't let something like that worry you.

Look more at what the med schools are looking for...good grades in the relevant subjects (can you do those at either school?), quality work experience that shows you have put thought into applying yourself for a career in medicine, voluntary experience (don't agree with this one but hey that's what they look for) and also signs that show you're a well rounded person (ie you don't just sit at your books all day).

Will either school help you with good references and grade predictions (ie will they put the effort in do you feel) and of course, most importantly, which will you enjoy most.

It's a big decision! If you put the effort in though, I'm sure you'll do fine at either :)

11. Kinkerz

Kinkerz Active Member

Not sure I buy that. I've heard things about Oxbridge doing something along those lines, but I haven't heard of anything more.

If there's some evidence, though, I'll happily accept it.

12. Dr Noodle

Dr Noodle New Member

Read it in the Guardian I think. I'll have a look.

13. Darren A..

Darren A.. New Member

agreed

agreed, in most cases that is...my last chemistry would be pushing that claim to the limit!

slightly resent the attitude that this displays...that people can sit in a class room putting in zero effort, and simply because they pay the fees they end up with the desired results. no matter what school you attend it takes a degree of self motivation to actually do the work and neccessary revision to secure good grades

14. Rippy

Rippy New Member

Just go to the school you think you'll enjoy most and do the best at. Going to a state school because of some likely-untrue rumours isn't a great reason.

IMO, it is INCREDIBLY unfair if medschools were being forced to accept state school applicants, but I'm aware that doesn't mean it's definitely untrue.

15. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

the only reason they may examine them is simply becos they GET FAR TO MANY OF THEM compared to non-private. Why do they do this? becos the private school/ school from better areas are already over represented in medcal school, aprticularly the traditional ones. its about 1:30 in this med school that come form a private school or an exceptionally well funded state school.
    thats not fair odds - tis unfairly representative of the good candidates that apply! no one on here can deny its not.
    so YES you have the odds WELL in your favour, stop moaning you privvy school lot!

in addition to the above,a good private skool will arrange superlative work experiences in the professions that look best to the upper and upper middle classes that they try to market towards, rather than perhaps letting you choose something you WANT to do. they will similarly aim to get you into a red brick uni, rather than sending you off to a pathway you freely choose to follow.
    of course lots of private school peeple freely choose medicine too.

#15 Gizmo says -, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  16. Keeley

Keeley New Member

No-ones moaning here.
    It sounds as if you think that everyone who goes to private school is upper class and therefore extremely rich. I'm not. I'm going on a 50% scholarship, which is the only way we can afford for both me and my twin sister to go.

17. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

i never even mentioned or fort of you, nor ave i ever fort that.

although you're doing a creditable effort at moaning wif that post lol. sumtimes its good to keep it in the can, macca.

18. Keeley

Keeley New Member

I'm not moaning - I'm perfectly happy in what school I'm going to. It's just when you said about the "upper and upper middle classes" it kind of implied, to me, that you thought everyone who went to private schools was upper or middle classes.
    Sorry if I misinterpreted it, but that's just what it sounded like to me.

19. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

maybe you should ave won the 100% one, then it'd be an easier choice to mek.

i got one to Yarm Public School when i was 16, but i turned it down cos of the markedly social differences (i wouldnt be able to raid their Yarm school picnics no more with my pals on Wednesdays, and that was too much fun to miss out on).

#19 Gizmo says -, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  20. Keeley

Keeley New Member

Meaning?