Premature 'applying for 2013 entry' thread

Discussion in 'Glasgow Medical School' started by FluffyTuty, Oct 31, 2011.

1. FluffyTuty

FluffyTuty New Member

So, is anyone planning on applying for 2013?

I like to plan in advance.

2. richadam

richadam Member

Yes I am. Well, I think.

I had an interview for a Healthcare Assitant job at a local hospital last week, and should be hearing from them sometime this week. Should I get it, I will begin nailing the revision for Sept '12 GAMSAT.

What about you? What background are you from?

3. FluffyTuty

FluffyTuty New Member

Right now I'm doing HND biomed but hoping to get a place at Stow college access to medical studies next year and then Glasgow in 2013.

Its the UKCAT we sit for Glasgow, so I will be studying for that inbetween studying for my HND exams.

And looking for work experience too.

4. richadam

richadam Member

Got a call yesterday, been offered a position as an Orthopedic Healthcare Assistant. Over the moon, as apparently competition for the two positions was quite high. I've also got an interview next week for a volunteering role as a Community First Response person. So hopefully that should be my 'experience' sorted.

Now, it's getting my studies sorted for GAMSAT. Going to do 3 days a week, spending around 3-4 hours studying. Start off with Biology (around 3 months), then Chemistry (3 months), then Physics (a month or so reading over stuff - Physics has always been my strongest Science, so I'm guessing that, along with the fact it's only 20% will be ample time).

That takes me to around June, and then I'll spend a month 'revising' all the subjects before sitting a full practice paper to see where I am. Depending on result, I'll assess whether I'll be ready for Sept '12, and if I am, nail it for a few months to maximise my scoring potential. If not, I think I'll spend another month revising and re-sit. Again, if I'm still nowhere near, I'll most likely have a couple of months off and enrol in some A levels.

Apologies for the essay, just trying to work it out in my head as I type haha.

I also need to save up a lot of money! I really don't like the idea of being a skint student again. I want to be comfortable, so with a lack of financial support from the bank of parents, it looks like I'll be saving hard over the next couple of years.

5. richadam

richadam Member

Thanks!

Well, English has always been a strong subject of mine, so I'm hoping that I can focus on Science for now. Obviously, during the last stage of the build up for the exam I will go through past-papers etc.

I've also subscribed for 'The Spectator' which will no doubt help me with my current affairs knowledge.

Thanks again,

Rich

6. FluffyTuty

FluffyTuty New Member

Congratulations Richadam! Your plan made me tired reading through it, but I wonder if you might be better off working through all 3 at the same time? I have found that in order to understand certain concepts in biology, I need to understand the chemistry first. And some chemical reactions make more sence when I can relate them to the biological processes.

What level are you studying them at/to?

7. richadam

richadam Member

Hey!

I'm currently working my through an A level Biology book, and after finishing a certain topic, use Khan Academy and watch a lecture on it to make sure I've understood everything.

You may be correct. Obviously parts of each subject overlap, but I just feel that since I've not done Sciences for over 5 years now, it may all get a little confusing. Once I've got through each book, then I do plan on doing a night for each subject a week....

How are your studies going?

8. FluffyTuty

FluffyTuty New Member

You do what works for you. Never heard of Khan Academy?

My studies are going fine, though I did start a Zombie status on facebook throughout cellular signalling. Its very boring, you either get it (I do) or you don't, so the lecturer has to spend hours going over the same thing, again and again. All hail 3G.

9. richadam

richadam Member

haha.

Khan Academy is brilliant! Free lectures on pretty much everything! If you type in 'Krebs Cycle' for example, a 25-30 min lecture will be on it, with a really good explanation and quite interesting too!

10. FluffyTuty

FluffyTuty New Member

Thank you, I'll have a look at that later, might email it to my old tutors as well, they are always looking for good resources.

11. jhallam9

jhallam9 New Member

Grad Med

Hi, currently in 2nd year Physiotherapy going to apply for 2013,
    done work exp in Prison health, GP practice, Orthopaedic surgery, consultant anaesthetist and volunteered at GP practices when injections are given etc. Just need to nail the UKCAT exam now.
    Seems like you all stand a good chance.
    Where are you all looking to apply to?

James

12. FluffyTuty

FluffyTuty New Member

I'm applying to Glasgow and really, I can only go to Glasgow. Much as I'd like to say I can move house, its not that easy to sell, buy or rent another and get my son into a special needs unit at a school - as well as the transfering of his medical records and getting new therapists. Nightmare. But Glasgow is said to be very, very good.

I'll also apply to Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee.

13. ukstern

ukstern New Member

Pays to be prepared...

Hi, I am also applying for 2013 entry to medicine. I am 28 and have a degree and a masters in psychology, but it was some time ago now that I graduated!

I currently work in a hospital and have done a fair bit of voluntary work over the past few years, most recently started with the Scottish Ambulance Service. I actually did the UKCAT last year for a practice run(!); wasn't too bad and I think with a bit of preparation it shouldn't be too difficult. Fingers crossed anyway!

Planning on applying to Glasgow, Aberdeen, Dundee and Newcastle; don't have any science qualifications other than the biology content of my degree so have also applied for the Access to Medicine at Stow College this year.

Good luck in advance to everyone applying - exciting times ahead!!

14. Maria87

Maria87 New Member

When did you graduate, ukstern? I might be wrong but in glasgow's prospectuses they say you need to have graduated within 5 years of entry.
    For this reason I won't be applying to Glasgow! I emailed them to ask but they sent me the exact stuff from their website!

15. ukstern

ukstern New Member

I graduated in 2004. Yes that's true, they do generally ask for you to have graduated within the last five years but they will still consider you if you have other evidence of sustained academic endeavour within that 5 year period, which is why I am applying to do the access course. I think the best thing to do if you are unsure is to phone them. My four choices keep changing though!