1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pre GAMSAT questions

Discussion in 'GAMSAT' started by feakingout123, Sep 17, 2016.

?

Little science background, is 5 months long enough to prepare for the GAMSAT

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. feakingout123

feakingout123 New Member

Hi all,

I'm currently a third year university student studying Computer Science predicted a First Class Honours (hopefully!)

My university offers a 4 year Graduate-Entry Medicine (GEM) course for students who achieve a 2:1 or higher in their current degree, obviously not taking into account GAMSAT scores etc...

The next GAMSAT test date is March 25th 2017, and I want to know is from now until then realistic enough time to self-teach the materials needed for the test. I haven't studied any Chemistry, Biology, Physics since GCSE level, but will be hoping to study every day for about 2/3 hours.

I know it's such a vague question because people vary in how they learn, but generally, how hard are we talking for this test? is 5 months pushing it a bit?

Also, I've been trying to look through different forums for some book material and I'm getting some mixed reviews varying from each forum.

I'm obviously going to need some a-level Chemistry, Biology, Physics textbooks, but I've read up that the ACER GAMSAT books are a waste of time/money?

Could someone shed some clarity and maybe share with me what materials they used to prepare for such a test.

Thanks in advance!

2. dr_med

dr_med New Member

Hiya- I did the GAMSAT a few days ago and I'm from a similar background as you.
    The science questions we got isn't the typical A-level science question (or in my case IGCSE!). It was more about applying the knowledge or in some cases just analysing the data you are given + graphs. The latter was good news for me as I enjoy exactly that.

It felt like at least 60-65% of it was Chemistry :oops: and the rest was split equally between Biology and Physics. I personally did not look at ACER's practice questions I had bought before the exam (I'm planning to use them for the March exam which I know I'm going to have to sit unless a miracle happens in November :D).

Resources I'm/will be using are what were recommended here:
    -A level chemistry book
    -Khan Academy and Crash Course youtube videos
    -Griffiths to give you a better idea on what topics *could* be in the exam but it's not the official guide. In addition tot he topics, it's got good tips though.
    -ACER's official practice questions: as I've mentioned before, I've not used mine yet so I cannot comment on the quality.

Oh and if there is anything you should revise in Chemistry, it's isomers...:eek::oops:o_O <-- that was me in the exam.

I didn't stick to my 1hr/day schedule and sometimes I'd do more whilst other days, I'd skip revising...that's partly why I'm already thinking of the March exam even before the results come out. So erm.. yea we'll see in Nov.

feakingout123 likes this.
  3. dr_med

dr_med New Member

Oh and I forgot the most important thing - I don't what it's like in your year but during my time, we had to do a BIG project during the the 3rd year so you'll have to take that into account and manage your time effectively. If it works for you, light revision and building on that as the time goes by might be a good idea to ensure you don't miss out on a first or 2:1 for your current degree.

feakingout123 likes this.
  4. feakingout123

feakingout123 New Member

Thanks for replying thats really helpful! Yeh in my third year now I have 50% project and 50% dissertation based on that project. Let us know how you get on with your results and good luck! ;)