1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post-GAMSAT 2009 discussion

Discussion in 'GAMSAT' started by theMANthatCAN, Sep 18, 2009.

1. theMANthatCAN

theMANthatCAN New Member

This thread is to discuss how the exam went, to form an opinion as to whether the test was infact difficult!

So, how did everyone do?

2. gbsilp

gbsilp New Member

OMFG. I found section III incredibly tough; I only just managed to finish it, whereas on ozimed tests, I was sniping for final marks after 2 hours having pretty much completed them. I thought that the ozimed tests were tougher than the acer practice questions, but section III seemed a lot harder than both. Anyone else feel this?

3. terrified_tony

terrified_tony New Member

I don't believe i did well, lack of concentration and inability to read questions to blame...
    But i thought the test was fairly good, provided all the needed equations. Each question was fine if you could take 5 mins on it, the problem was you couldn't! but generally think it bodes well for next year.

Just as an extra or two:

was about 230 people at notts (tho were maybe 10 empty chairs?!?)

Gbslip... about calculators.. I asked about the program thing and the chap told me if i said it weren't programable then that was good enough for him. No crazy check!

Also they offered extra paper for section II, which i was under the impression they never did!

Hope everyone gave a good account!

#3 terrified_tony, Sep 18, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  4. gbsilp

gbsilp New Member

Yeah, our MC said if we thought our calculators were programable to come to the front to show them. Funnily, noone did.

5. astronaut

astronaut New Member

Section 1 OK
    Section 2 good
    Section 3 baaaad: way worse than the practice questions/test.

Anyone else run out of time on the last section? I ended up guessing 25 questions!

6. sehs527

sehs527 New Member

Timing was a real problem.

Sec 1 - Had to guess last 10 or so questions.
    Sec 2 - Ok i think, even though I really had to rush the second essay.
    Sec 3 - Nightmare! Guessed about 25 questions. So annoying - if i had the time I couldve done them.

Oh well, im pretty sure i'll be doing it again next year!

7. Mysterio

Mysterio New Member

My head is hurting and i can't even think at the moment. Section one I felt was a bit tough tbh and my time management left alot to be desired. Section II I felt also went well and am more confident about. Time management improved with section III although I felt I was rushing at times. Personally I don't think I have done well in section 1 or 3.

I have been told section 3 was pretty good last year compared to section 1? Any thoughts as this first time I have taken the exam.

8. yojimbo

yojimbo New Member

Ahha this went up fast. Was this setup on the train? I thnk I'm about to nod off anyway. I'm only dreadng section one. And three towards the end

9. theMANthatCAN

theMANthatCAN New Member

Yes I was on the train back to Leeds not content with the torture received through the day!

10. Manana

Manana New Member

I thought the morning went well. I had time to go over a few questions a second time in Section 1 and in Section 2 I managed to write two complete essays (which is good for me as I usually run out of time).

Section 3 was tough going - I didn't think the biology section was as intuitive as past years and I now have a headache from counting carbons.

Did anyone else sit it in Sheffield - I didn't have a jacket and was cold all day. i wish they'd managed to turn the a/c off.

11. heavenlyjohnson

heavenlyjohnson New Member

Section I - OK
    Section II - OK
    Section III - Wow, I was not expecting that.

Time was the main issue, I ended up filling in all Cs for a block of about 10 questions. Lots of people I spoke to afterwards seem to have done the same. Still, as I understand it the scores are normalised to provide consistency between years.

I was speaking to one of the organisers and apparently there were around 2000 people taking the test this year in total, up about 50% from last year.

Did anyone take it last year? Was it harder/easier?

12. goldhawkgonk

goldhawkgonk New Member

2000 people - only that? We had about 850 of us in Lawrence hall, London, and i don't know how many would have been in the other one (two total).

My section 3 was poor. Barely any physics came up, the biology was far from straightforward I thought, and so so so much organic chemistry, in fact was all the chemistry organic?! No physical chemistry whatsoever on my paper.

Essays seemed v straightforward. I don't know how you were meant to get a more emotional response into the section B however?

The one thing I was slightly heartened by - not in a nasty way - was there were quite a lot of people who really hadn't prepared sitting around me - one woman next to me didn't realise that it'd be a good strategy to guess questions she didn't know (dear lord) and so hopefully the scaling may save my sorry ass on SIII - although I'm not holding out for it!

13. Manana

Manana New Member

In Sheffield I'd say there were about 120 people. There were a few empty desks intermingled with the candidates so some people bottled it beforehand! Three or four people didn't come back after lunch - I was sat at the front so I heard the invigilators discussing whether to get going or wait a bit longer (they decided to get going). Those who didn't come back may help with the scaling unless they only include marks from those who completed all three sections.

Most people I spoke to seemed to be quite well prepared. There were a few mature students who all seemed to have science backgrounds and one was a uni lecturer in pharmacology who is fancying a career change (!).

I do wish they'd sort the timing of the test out so that you can take it in the late spring / early summer and have the results before you apply. I suppose the truly well prepared take the test the year before or in Dublin.

14. Siann

Siann New Member

I made the mistake of not answering all the questions on paper 1, which was so stupid. However I did so badly on paper 3 that i don' think it mattered. Its strange as I could answer most of the questions on the sample/practice questions yet could hardly answer any today. I thought i had prepared so well, anyone else feel the same?

15. macange

macange New Member

GAMSAT was tough!!!

Section 1 was ok and section 2 was good. Section 3 was just terrible. Really really terrible. I was in Sheffield- good luck to all and well done for completing it! It was a tough day.

16. aspiring_student

aspiring_student New Member

It's very tough to revise for an exam that has no syllabus. That combined with the rigid time constraints made it a very tough exam this year. In section 1, I reverted to answering questions without having time to read the long passages after every question!!...Section 3 was also tough. I found I was guessing on some of the questions, as I had run out of time and just couldnt apply the principles I had learnt.

Anyone agree that structure of the exam is not very well laid out considering the extortionate price??

17. Emzee

Emzee New Member

I sat the exam at Sheffield and froze my socks off all morning and afternoon!

I thought section one was ok.. but found that my speedy skim reading due to time constraints may have cost me marks. The quotes in section two weren't too bad - enough to sink your teeth into i feel. SECTION THREE NEARLY KILLED ME. The acer tests completely lulled me into a false sense of security and the real exam was a hard slap in the face. The time allocated just isn't enough in my opinion to principles you have learnt and worrying about this issue seriously affected my concentration. My eyes were on the clock as much as my paper! I guessed a lot of the answers and just put "a" for those at the end which i didn't have time to finish!

18. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

What do you mean by that?

Structure seemd as expected to me.

Organisation seemed good in London. That many candidates, some with special needs, all nervous and worried. Logistical nighmare!

Yet all seemed pretty smooth and organised. Thought we did have an idiot who's phone went of in the "specials" room. Its rang and rang and rang, with a really annoying ringtone.

They did check we have all come back after lunch, as apparently its common for a few not to return.

As for the sections, it was basically as expected, to me. But I didn't expect to do well, especially on section III, anyway.

No its just wait 6-8 weeks and see if a blew an option and several hundred pounds....

19. Remus

Remus New Member

I agree with the above. Found section 3 difficult with not enough time and too much organic chemistry!

Sat it in Nottingham and was constantly finding myself distracted by an exceptionally gorgeous girl a couple of seats in front of me. Kept checking her out lol. Pink top and grey cardigan- if you're here say Hi :)

Good luck everyone :)

20. zepplin

zepplin New Member

arghhh sorry guys but thank god i wasn't the only one who found it difficult! felt awful when i left. i'm from a non-sci background but *thought* i'd prepared quite well and done loads of practise tests so was disappointed to be so thrown by section 3! major struggle, guessed lots of the questions. i think some of it was probably based around fairly simple (and studied) principles but as someone else said, its not like you could spare 5 mins on each q to figure that out! after months of failing to finish an essay in the time allotted, i managed to do it today (thought the questions were lovely, but b wasn't particularly suited to discursive writing so i just made it kind of argue-y with a personal slant) and section I was fine but only cause i'm a nippy speed reader. did make the mistake of going back over at the last minute and changing some answers which i immediately regretted but heh. oh well :) tis over for a few weeks, pints time folks!