1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pharmacist wishing to become a doctor

Discussion in 'Access to Medicine' started by steve76, Feb 25, 2008.

1. steve76

steve76 New Member

Hi everyone,

Im new to this forum, I am in my final year of doing a pharmacy degree and doing my pre registration year in hospital starting in august. I have enjoyed pharmacy but feel it is not enough for me, and from experience of clinics working with medical colleagues, I have decided that I would love the responsibility of planning treatment for the patient and not just managing their drug therapy, and would relish the diagnostic challenge. I will be 33 when I finish my pre reg year, I have got science A-levels at grade A (Chemistry and Biology) and History at grade A, and should get at least a 2:1. Do I have any chance of getting into medicine? does anyone know if pharmacists are any more or less likely to get into med school? I am really determined to become a doctor, and although I would ideally like to get onto an accelerated programme, I would also do the standard 5 year course if necessary.
    Thanks

Steven

2. jon1985

jon1985 New Member

Hi Steve,

I noticed noone had replied to your message, so thought I would get the ball rolling for you. I have a lower second class degree in Human Sciences and am looking into studying medicine and am by no means for only one in this situation. If you are due to get a 2.1, in Pharmacy, such great A level results in Chemistry and really want to study medicine and become a doctor there is no reason why you shouldn't!

If you are worried about your age, there were plenty of people in their 30s looking into studying graduate entry medicine at an event I recently attended by the Careers Group, Uni of London ' Exploring Grad. Entry into Medicine'. I think there are around 15 universities with 4 Year graduate entry medicine courses in the UK currently and with a 2.1 in Pharmacy and your A-levels you should be eligible to apply to all. The GAMSAT examination which is pretty tough will probably be the route in for most of these. You may also need to get more relevant work experience to talk about at interview, if you do not already have enough from your pharm. experience.

Maybe others on the forum with more experience in the admissions process will be able to help you more, as I am quite new to this.

3. steve76

steve76 New Member

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your reply, it makes very encouraging reading. so when will you be applying for entry, or have you already applied?

Steven

4. aapl

aapl New Member

I may be wrong but some 4 or 5y course doesn't accept pharmacy and so won't be able to apply there. I will try and find it.

Also you should get work experience independent of your pharmacy degree or job.

#4 aapl, Mar 1, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  5. addy1

addy1 New Member

Lots of pharmacists in my year, they are on 4yr at Brum

6. aapl

aapl New Member

Having done a bit research it wasn't pharmacy, it was nursing for bristol.

7. steve76

steve76 New Member

Thank you for your reply, im grateful for your advice

8. steve76

steve76 New Member

thanks, thats very encouraging. Good luck in your medical degree hope you are enjoying it

9. terpineol

terpineol New Member

If its any encouragement a friend here is in his mid 30s having been an optometrist since finishing uni.

He did an access course at glasgow, however apparently admissions here did say that they would look at him without the access course. Most places though i think are fairly keen on access courses if you have been some time out of uni.

As you are coming straight from training i'd guess you can avoid the access course, if i were you i'd phone around anywhere that tickles your fancy.

10. steve76

steve76 New Member

Thank you very much

11. Pea_Ness

Pea_Ness New Member

As far as i kno there is no accelerated prog. Pharmacy is my backup choice, as far as I also know you need a upper or lower 1st class hons to apply as a graduate. Thats my plans if I dont get in this year. I dont think age matters at all fact is your determined and determination wins over all :) good luck

12. masim4t5

masim4t5 New Member

I dont Understand the reason, why Pharmacy graduates/ students not satisfied with their education.

13. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

Because most people have no true idea what the eventual career is like when they start a degree, nor what really suites them as a person.

14. masim4t5

masim4t5 New Member

Yup but most of people i have seen are not satisfied with Pharmacy field? Why what is the real reason behind this.

15. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

I know a lot if satisfied pharmacist. I also know a lot do dissatisfied doctors...
    Have you asked the dissatisfied pharmacists why they feel the way they do?