1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Open University instead of A level's?

Discussion in 'Mature Students' started by taya, Aug 8, 2016.

1. taya

taya New Member

I'm currently a student on a non science degree, and although I have good A levels (A's including biology) I have neither chemistry or maths. To complicate things, I live in Scotland now making studying as an external candidate more difficult.

I've been looking at the open university, and am considering Chemistry: Essential concepts and Essential Maths 1 and maybe 2. Do you think these would acceptable alternatives, and are there places that accept them/don't accept them? If they really limited my options I'd find a way to do A levels, but my impression is they're roughly the same level if not a little higher? Thanks :)

2. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

Unfortunately, every uni has different requirements, and over the years these change.

As a starter here is an out of date site that had it as it was. http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/graduate-entry-programme/

You will also need to consider that not all medschool accept OU degrees. So you can't short cut the fact you will need to read through the application info at all your uni's. But at least with this list you can prioritise your research a little.

Good luck!!!

3. taya

taya New Member

Thanks for getting replying :). Might give them a miss then; I've found a place that looks like it offers highers/advanced highers which surely must be okay, if an odd combination. My degree will be from a Russell Group and is very research based, just unfortunately not science.

Out of interest, the OU also offers some short courses on chemistry and drugs, biology etc.. Would they be worth it as boost for showing an interest in science?

4. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

Could do, but don't spread yourself too thin.

About 1/2 the Unis still accept non-science degree, but might need you to get A-Level Bio. This might be more useful on the side...

5. taya

taya New Member

Thankfully I do have that one! Very true about doing too much; I'll see how I get on with the essentials first.

About the science degree; I've found a medical science masters that seems prepared to offer conversion courses to those with varied background. Aside the lack of actual science, my degrees focused on medical/scientific topics (like the history of drug development), and research methods so hopefully my chances would be good.

Would a MSc count as science degree when applying? It's a proper science degree from a good university that normally takes from those with a scientific background.

Thanks for your help btw, I realise I'm probably asking a lot, and you've been really useful. :)

6. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

It depends of the subjects in the MSc. Again different Uni's have different criteria of what the consider. Some are very tight "life sciences" some more wider for including more of the physics areas. No quick and easy answer, I'm sorry.

7. taya

taya New Member

Again, thanks for your help. I'll try emailing a few, asking if they would be likely to accept it, and might try the ones that don't require a science degree and see what they think/if it would help. If I hear anything back I'll try to update, and same if I hear anything back about the conversion course place. :)

8. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

I would read thier 2017 perspectuses before emailing. Last thing you want to do is to make yourself look a muppet.
    It might be clear from their perspectuses. But asking for clarification of what they have written, can at least show you have a least tried to find out first.