1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Open Day 5th July

Discussion in 'Warwick Medical School' started by MattKneale, May 2, 2012.

1. MattKneale

MattKneale Member

Who's attending the open day this July? Would be good to meet a few of you :)

2. ukstern

ukstern New Member

Hi Matt,

I am intending to go on 5th July; I know registration opens today but not sure when exactly. I am really keen on Warwick so it would be a great opportunity to find out more about the course.

3. snakefisch

snakefisch New Member

Damn! That's the day I've booked my UKCAT!

4. MattKneale

MattKneale Member

If you go on the website it's already open for booking, I did so yesterday about lunchtime :) Hope to see you there! Unlucky snakefisch!

5. MattKneale

MattKneale Member

Anyone else?

6. jhallam9

jhallam9 New Member

Hi all,

I will also be attending on the 5th July, would be great to meet with u all there!

James

7. Medic_88

Medic_88 Member

Snakefisch, you have the worst luck of anyone I've met (well...spoken to NMM anyway ;))

8. snakefisch

snakefisch New Member

Haha thanks! I know there's another sometime in the fall.
    Well I just hope I have better luck this year! Bring it :)

9. Medic_88

Medic_88 Member

It wont be luck...it'll be well deserved!!

Are you working in the same place until then? Are you doing GAMSAT, or just UKCAT?
    Thats all the questions...for now.

10. snakefisch

snakefisch New Member

Hehe. Yeah Ive decided to keep my current job, did get offered the HCA role but turned it down in the end because I wouldnt have been able to save and would probably even have cut into my savings which is ridiculous!
    Just doing voluntary work and getting some more work experience, so I hope that will be enough!
    Sitting the ukcat and gamsat for sgul, I think that's my best shot. Feels almost like deja vu with last year but with the experience of hindsight. Quite excited at the moment and glad I have more time on my hands to work on the app and save up :)

11. Medic_88

Medic_88 Member

I've done the total opposite really. A good friend managed to get me a job offer working in city in finance being paid silly money for the next 3 months, but it would only involve sitting at a computer researching things about contracts and other banks etc. I turned it down so I could keep working at the GP surgery. I'm on a pretty poor/average wage but I enjoy it and feel quite valued there at the moment. Whilst I am saving money, its not a large amount by any means and i'll probably regret not taking the offer of £££ when i'm at Warwick eating my tesco value beans instead of waitrose's finest fairtrade beans ;)

I felt like I was cheating at the Warwick interview because the whole day seemed like an exact repeat of the year before, right down to the questions we were asked in the prioritising exercise.

Do you have the GAMSAT prep books? If not, i'll post them to you if you want? I don't need them and i'll certainly be glad to get rid of them!

12. snakefisch

snakefisch New Member

Well at least you are still saving money! There was no way I could do that as a HCA, the salary would have been £18K and I have a mortgage to pay so I wouldnt have saved a penny :( I do long for some proper hands on experience like that though!

Which GAMSAT prep books do you have? Do you mean the papers, I have some copies of them so I guess I don't need them, but if you have anything else!..

13. SeanXRT

SeanXRT New Member

I'll be there as I unfortunately missed the last one that I was booked on to. I also have an open day at Southampton on the Saturday so it will be a busy few days for me with lots of time spent on trains.

14. Medic_88

Medic_88 Member

Well I had 3 GAMSAT official guides, one is a practice test and the other 2 are prep books, but I can only find the practice test anyway!

SeanXRT, which others are you looking at?

15. SeanXRT

SeanXRT New Member

Well I've got an open day at Leicester on 9th June and one at Newcastle 29th September, which is the weekend just before my partners birthday so we're going to have a long weekend there. I am also thinking about applying for a masters at Oxford at the same time as med school so that if I don't get in first time round I can go and do that for a year.

How about yourself?

16. Medic_88

Medic_88 Member

I did an MSc in Nottingham. It cost me a fair bit and i'm not sure how much it helped my application. I don't regret doing it but not sure i'd do it again given the chance. I think i'd try to get work as an HCA for a year rather than further education. You might even be able to put aside some money.

I'm starting at Warwick in September but still dipping in and out of all the threads to see what's going on! I applied last year and ended up on Nottingham's waiting list, but didn't get in so reapplied this year.
    I had an interview in Newcastle this year and really liked it up there but unfortunately I was rejected. The university is pretty much in the heart of the city and nice traditional old buildings. I stayed at the Premier Inn - Newcastle Central. Its only about 10-15min walk from the uni and fairly reasonably priced.
    Good luck with all your applications anyway.

Snakefisch, do you have Griffiths' GAMSAT review?