Official 2014 entry UKCAT discussion!!!

mintea

Hi everybody,

This is the official 2014 entry UKCAT discussion page!

I am reapplying as I've received my 4 rejections. Very keen on gaining an extremely high UKCAT this year. My previous score was:

VR: 490
QR: 680
AR: 850
DA: 790

As you can see, my score was let down by VR! Any tips and advice would be helpful! And vice versa I will give advice on my high scored sections so get posting guys!

rad

i had it a while ago--V.R is all about timing.looking at questions and then reading the passage after spotting key words so that time is not wasted.reading newspaper articles and summarising the gist develops your speed.how did you prepare for quant and A.R?AND D.A?

mintea

i had it a while ago--V.R is all about timing.looking at questions and then reading the passage after spotting key words so that time is not wasted.reading newspaper articles and summarising the gist develops your speed.how did you prepare for quant and A.R?AND D.A?
I definitely need to improve my VR skills thanks for the tips!

Well for AR I wrote all different possible patterns I came across and practiced really hard on a bank of questions I purchased online (ukcatprep.com)
For QR I made sure my basic maths skills were brushed up mainly percentages and skim reading data!
And for DA I try to keep my converted meaning as close to the code as possible not missing out any concept.

I hope I still have it in me to score good in those sections again lol

Lou84

I'll be taking the UKCAT this year for the first time-preparations have begun!

Got myself the 600 questions book and the Kaplan question book, for those of you who have already taken the UKCAT before how does the level of difficulty in the actual test compare to the practice questions in the books? I have found that the Kaplan questions seem to be far easier than in the 600 questions book-is it just me?!
AR section is going to take the most work, QR not to bad but it's the timing that will get me, other 2 sections seem fine
Anyone else going to be doing the GAMSAT too?

Zedd

I found that the only section which was substantially easier was QR. VR and DA were somewhat more difficult than I had anticipated and AR was maybe what you'd expect from the books (worth baring in mind that this is just my experience of last years test).

The best advice I could give would be to keep your brain going with puzzles, quizzes, mathematical problems etc from materials you can get from newsagents etc. Then, around 2 weeks before your test you can then start to filter in some UKCAT specific revision imo.

Oh and my score last year averaged at 657.5 with no section above 680 and no section below 630.

Last edited:

DrDani

I'll be taking the UKCAT this year for the first time-preparations have begun!

Got myself the 600 questions book and the Kaplan question book, for those of you who have already taken the UKCAT before how does the level of difficulty in the actual test compare to the practice questions in the books? I have found that the Kaplan questions seem to be far easier than in the 600 questions book-is it just me?!
AR section is going to take the most work, QR not to bad but it's the timing that will get me, other 2 sections seem fine
Anyone else going to be doing the GAMSAT too?
Hey, I decided this weekend to do the gamsat this September. I've started looking at the ukcat today and a bit of the gamsat. I think I'll focus on the ukcat and study more of the gamsat after the ukcat. This will be my first time doing both exams.

Hi everyone!

Hope you're all enjoying the tiny bit of spring that apparently in the air...

I was wondering, when do you guys plan on starting UKCAT revision? Do you have a plan of how you're going to go at it? Is one month enough time to practice?

So many questions, so may as well throw in one more: I know the SJT has not been scored in previous years, will it be this year?

Thanks! FL.

Lou84

I think if it was a knowledge based exam like the GAMSAT then one month intense revision may be fine, but it seems the key to the UKCAT is practice so personally I have already started and am just doing a few questions each evening
Closer to the time I'll concentrate more on doing timed mocks

ivyphoong

Hi, I am new here and I would apply to sit for UKCAT this year (my first time !!). Would be appreciate if anyone can share the tips about the test, and what revision can we do (have any books to study for that)?

jcak

There are plenty of books for it, all of which are easy to find on the internet/this forum.

For starters, people like the Get into Medical School - 600 UKCAT Practice Questions., however I prefer How to Master the UKCAT: Over 700 Practice Questions for the United Kingdom Clinical Aptitude Test.

These are overviews of the entire test and have very useful information and practice questions. The 600q book does make the quantitative reasoning much harder than the actual exam, but this can be a good thing by over preparing you. Overall, I found the 700Q "How to master the UKCAT" book much better.

When it got closer to the date of my test I purchased Emedica's weekly preparation from UKCAT Revision - UKCAT questions and support from UKCATPrep.com and found this practice helpful. I went from an hour or so a day a month before the exam to several hours a day for the fortnight beforehand. I did something right, though as I was getting 90-100% in all the Decision Analysis practice I did I didn't do much prep for it. It was also the subset I got 710 in when I first sat the exam. So my main tip - don't let a subtest go under prepared for just because you can do well in it!

Best of luck ivyphoong!

WednesdayAddams

I will be sitting the UKCAT for the first time this year and I am absolutely terrified. I have dyslexia and dyscalculia and while I am absolutely certain they wouldn't affect my ability to be a good doctor, the only section of the UKCAT I am remotely comfortable with is DA.

What I find particularly frustrating is that, as far as I can tell, the UKCAT still appears to be a glaringly non-evidence-based selection method for medical school. Not that there's an awful lot I can do about that at present...so I may as well get on with my revision ;).

Has anyone used the onExamination service from the BMJ Learning Group website? Is is any good?