Offers ! ! ! !

Lucy_P

I thought I'd create a new thread so that people can tell us how they get on with offers from Aberdeen this week (At least, I'm hoping they come out this week).
Let us know! :)

Lucy
x x x

s2art

I shall do. Are you putting all your faith into Aberdeen too?

Lol, there's two of the same threads.!.

Lucy_P

Well, I wish it hadn't turned out like this, Aberdeen is my last choice. Where-oh-where did I go wrong? :confused:
The clock is ticking...

WoolyJones

same here, i hoped it wouldn't come down to this, my first choice was glasgow, and i was absolutely gutted when i got rejected. i never really thot i would be depending on aberdeen in the end. Just hope they come through for me now! lol

Lucy_P

Aberdeen is a decent medical school but I was hoping for Glasgow - it's prettier. Sadly, Glasgow wasn't hoping for me :( It really feels like I'm going to be in that third of applicants who aren't offered a place anywhere... On the UCAS website it says that decisions HAVE to be out by the 31st of March. That's next Saturday. They'll have to come out on Friday, no later. Scary to think that next Sunday I'll either be over the moon or a misery guts/failure.

WoolyJones

i know lots of people who go to glasgow and knowing the city too, i think it would have been a great experience, the whole atmosphere and everything. in the other offers thread, i think Mark__ or sum1 else phoned up aberdeen and they sed that theyll be giving out offers over the next 2 weeks, and that their deadline was the middle of April (i think)
but i do hope its next week sumtym we find out

s2art

I'm not going to expect them next week. Because that week in which I waited for GLasgow was absolute hell. I'm not becoming a UCAS whore again. No way ho---say!

And Mark! Do you actually play violin? Or are ye just pretending?

s2art

Kick ass. I used to play actually. Now I'm more of a guitarist but I play tonnes of different stuff. I was actually looking for a violinist to start up a jazz fusion band. Lol, god knows, you might end up going to Aberdeen- and you might actually like jazz!

s2art

Yeah. I was in a thrash metal band before, then did my own instrumental rock stuff. But I'm really digging that old fusion stuff now!!
You know of a dude called Jean Luc Ponty?

Lorah

6 days! oh the excitement. i figured out its been 6months since i sent my application :S its a hell of a long time to still not know where youre going!

PS i play the cello, altho i doubt ud need one of those in a jazz fusion band!

Mark____

haha, I play in a fiddle group. :D

I have heard of Mr Jean-Luc...

So, pray tell, what is the difference between a Jazz band and a Jazz-Fusion band?

:confusion:

s2art

A fusion band can be anything. Fusion is the meeting of jazz's weird timings and improvisational madness with another genre. It doesn't have to be with rock either- it can be with ANY genre.

I myself fancy a hybrid of jazz, metal, electronica with a slice of ambient chucked in. I call it "Power Jazz".

I think I've answered Lorah's question too!

Lorah

"A fusion band can be anything."

haha sounds like fun. although it might be a bit hard getting my cello to Aberdeen if thats where i end up!!

Mark____

Yes, I'm a man of electronic means myself.

My first passion is classical music but I love nu-rave etc. It's all VERY cool and VERY groovy

:D

A violin, a 'cello and a guitar - PERFECT Jazz-Fusion band, non? :)

s2art

Could be. I know for a fact that I wouldn't go a day without my geetar.

I knew a girl once who played harp, and it was absolutely beautfiful to hear. She played in a celtic triplet- one was a cello player. I went to see if I could buy my own clarsach but it was 6 grand. No chance.

s2art

Drums.

Jews harp (there HAS to be)

Tuned percussion sounds kick ass when played correctly at the right times (Zappa).

Electronic, so is that stuff like Aphex Twin, BOC, Auchtechre, Tangerine Dream, Brian Eno, etc?

And what kind of "classical" music do you like?

I'm an impressionist myself....

Mark____

I've had a tinkle of a harp and it's really actually quite difficult to pull the strings, they're really taut and sore on the wee fingers.

Mark____

Well, less grungy than them... I like Justice, Goose, The Faint, Tiga, The Presets, Zdar, Digitalism, Robots In Disguise, Hot Chip obvi.
And some more indie style ones Shiny Toy Guns, Hellogoodbye.

Classical music wise, I'm a Romantic :) Mendelssohn, Dvorak, Berlioz.
The last thing I saw was Berlioz's symphonie fantastique and it made me wet my calvin klein boxers
I like some Impressionist piano works but not really the orchestral stuff, I like it to be a bit more oomphy.

s2art

Still getting into electronica so I'll have to check those bad boys out. Until the last couple of years, I've been a die hard metaller.

I used to be a romantic. Then I was a baroque-ster (still enjoy a bit o bach now and again). But I guess now that you say that, it was the piano stuff that got me into impressionism. But trust me that was enough. I'm not a "balls out" orchestral kind of guy, I like tight groups.