Offers/Rejections 2008

Loobylou

Ive been rejected too and was gutted cos Aberdeen was my first choice, plus I thought my interview went well. The thing is, I recieved the letter from them and it says about you can express a wish for your application to be reconsidered if spaces come up. But can I do this if Im already holding an offer from another medical school? Because I've already accepted a place else where after I found out from UCAS track about my Aberdeen rejection, but should I have any chance to get an offer from Aberdeen later on, I'd take it. I know that probably sounds bad when there are people with no offers, so I just wondered whether people thought it'd be alright for me to ask for my application to be on the "review" list or not?

daryush

What? I didn't even get that!

Seriously, is there ANY chance to appeal their decision or something? (you can tell I'm desperate)

Last edited:

Loobylou

I was rejected yesterday on UCAS track and then I checked the portal today and it came up with the letter which I assume I'll get in the post any day now- so if you were only rejected today then it'll probably come up tomorrow or you'll receive the letter early next week. I emailed them for feedback yesterday but haven't had any response yet. They're probably inundated!

ruridh17

Maybe it is coming in the post.

You should edefiately make contact with them. Just phone them, dont waste your time with an email takes too long. Sometimes they make a mistake.

A guy somehwere on this forum did the same thing and got an offer eventually.

ruridh17

Im pretty sure he got rejected and then he phoned up for feedback.

They then placed him on a list and he got a place in august or something.

however, as you have other choices it may be different for you as he might have only had rejections whereas you have other offers. no harm in phoning them anyway though

-tishtash-

hey i got rejected today... but looking on the bright side at least i have an offer!

I'm gonna find out aswell... cause again i thought my interview was canny aswell.

Chin up guys it aint the end of the world :D Hope your feeling better

AbdnGradPL

@dayrush

Yeah it's a weird situation with ppl who have offers someplace else but there is a possibility to get in from a reserve list... I personally wouldn't know what to do, but in the end, one way you'll get a certain offer at your second choice and the other you have uncertain possibility of getting in to your 1st... I'd definitely email/call/come personally (if you're from Scotland ;) ) to clear things up. If you could somehow change your mind 3 weeks before the term commences, I'd go for it :) Who cares if the 'second choice' would be furious? :p

Polldoll

Im guessing its probably the same system at most unis.. well I spoke to admissions at Glasgow as they rejected me and it was my 1st choice. The deal is if you have NO offers at all, then when all their offers have been confirmed and school results are out, then they sometimes have places left over. They will then contact some of the people that hold no offers anywhere and ask if they want a place. HOWEVER if (like in my situation) you have an offer somewhere else you would be "daft" to turn that down in the hope that your 1st choice might have a reserve spot. I have no statistic to back this up, but its common sense! SHe told me that the competition for medicine is immense (obviously) and that I should consider myself one of the lucky ones having got 1 offer.

They also said that they wouldn't "cheat" on other unis by poaching their prospective students, which is why I cant accept aberdeen then dump them a week before I start if Glasgow change their mind! So in my case, Im off to Aberdeen!!

AbdnGradPL

Ok so the reserce lists work only if you hold no offers at all.. then yeah, go for second, third, last choice - anything really if u have at least one offer.. obviously the situation gets complicated when ur girlfriend goes to another uni :/

Anyway, thanks for clearing that, Polldoll.

PS. I didn't suggest I'd prefer anywhere else, Abdn was my first choice since the beginning :) if St Andrews and Edin would change their minds in September I'd lol them in the face ;)

Last edited:

Charlie57

I knew someone who got rejected from aberdeen but then in august they phoned him up and offered him a place but I think it's pretty rare. I've heard Aberdeen, compared to other medical schools tend to give out less offers compared to similar sized medical schools and usually have some spare but I'm not a 100% sure. Best thing to do is concentrate on next year and reapplying.

daryush

I know some med schools put you on another course if theyve rejected you - any chance I could get aberdeen to put me on biochemistry or that fancy medicinal chemistry MChem I saw?

AbdnGradPL

Yea I heard about that too, and from biochemistry you could easily re-apply next year... call them and find out - good luck!

Gillian-x

yeah id heard that too... its worth a try! Good luck!
Also can anyone help me.... i had totally forgotten about the aberdeen portal... and have forgotten how to get onto it, iv tried searching for it on google but its only the actual student portal that comes up?

xxx

AbdnGradPL

hahaha

Gillian-x, it's probably the 3rd time I'm giving this link on Abdn forum, so I guess I might just as well paste it into my signature - feel free to use it ;) PS. I have no idea how the search function works on this forum, but you should be able to find said link here much easier than on google :)

AbdnGradPL

It's my pleasure, really, and I'm not bothered - it's in my sig now to make fellow med applicants' lives a little bit easier ;)

AbdnGradPL

Hello!
did you get into Medicine at Aberdeen University?

Hey... it would help if you directed that question at someone specific :) - R u asking gillian-x? Or all posters in general? ;) Most offers are out by now so look at ppl's sigs - or even better - go check the Aberdeen 2008 thread, where most posts are made by those who firmly accepted the offer.

DGS32

Hey, I'm a new poster round here. Just noticed someone asking about the Abdn biochem degree.
Just to advise that Abdn med school no longer accept transfers from the other Abdn courses (I am in the final year of Biomed Sci there). You would have to finish the degree before re-applying, as far as I know.