neurosurgery in UK

Kinkerz

Neurosurgery/General Practice...... There's an astronomical difference in what they do! Perhaps you're better deciding on which job you'd prefer to do, rather than how much you'll be paid.

So if you're only in it for the money, then General Practice I suppose, but if money is all you're interested in, then medicine is probably not the greatest way to go!

Finally there is a difference between a neurologist and a neurosurgeon, there is a thing called "Google" i suggest you use it!

Also, where are you from?

PS: Never thought I'd see someone comparing those two jobs together....

-Petrie-

This is the reason why I love NMM.com.

Posts from deluded moronic naive dimwits like this give me so much laughter, I almost feel bad.

But not quite.

When I went to get my second Hepatitis jab, the nurse said i hope I'm giving this to you for dentistry. When I smiled and said no its for medicine she said;

"Dentistry's the way to go. That's where the money is and its all about the money these days. When your an F1 and the sweats dripping off you and you don't know whether your going to get to bed today or the day after or the day after that, and if another patient comes through the door then you'll swing for them, you'll wish you'd listened to be. If you had listened to me you'd be sitting in your plush practise with your gadgets all around you only having to work 9-5 and getting paid much more for it. I tell you boy dentistry's the way to go!"

If you are in it for the money (and an easy life) then maybe consider dentistry.;)

That's a greatly over-exaggerated and cynical picture. It's almost lol-worthy.

Last edited:

Rich' Trash

Aw, I sort of feel bad for what I said now you others are joining in :/ he's probably about 13/14 years old. I guess we shouldn't be trying to scare him off really. Although of course, if its over 16.....

-Petrie-

Cynical it may be but I'm sure after almost 40 years in nursing would anyone cynical about healthcare. I was merely stating what she said, never said i actually believe it, if there was such a contract between the two I'm sure a lot more people would switch to dentistry.

Also i wouldn't start calling people naive, i wonder who knows more about what its really like to be a doctor, a 60 year old nurse or an 18 year old, if you actually think the latter then your the deluded one.
I never said you believed her?

and I never called her deluded or naive? I was referring to the person who started this thread, asking about wages. I posted my comments to your post after I quoted you, the ones before the quote box refer to the OP. If you look back, you'll realise what I mean.

Rich' Trash

That's a greatly over-exaggerated and cynical picture. It's almost lol-worthy.
Not really.. I worked as a healthcare assistant for 18 months and it was very rare I saw a HO that wasnt extremely stressed out and, seemingly, completely overwhelmed.

The fact that the european directive cutting working hours per week down to 48 has had such a huge effect on the hours that doctors work is enough to turn alot of people off medicine.

Gizmo says -

see, i'm starting to wonder about this. there are a lot of stressed HOs around arent there?

Yet they dont do that much work compared to some peeple i know, not really (though i dont deny they work ard). i wonder if its a case of some of them finding it extra stressful becos they didnt realise it was going to be like this (fairly ard work that they dont actually enjoy).
The number of HOs who are so unhappy wif their jobs strikes me as astronomical - personally i wuldnt work in a job if it was just going to give me grief 24/7.

-Petrie-

The nurse paints a picture that every FY doctor is borderline suicidal.

'whether your going to get to bed today or the day after or the day after that' etc etc

.... while I admit it's a tough job, with long hours and a remarkable steep learning curve, it's painting an overly cynical picture. More docs know how to cope then she is letting on.

Gizmo says -

he's Dougie's luvchild then.

personally i dont see it as long hours, though ma view might change when i start a family and so forth.
i see it as an opportunity to integrate wif ma peeple, and therefore its not 'ours at work, but 'ours doing what i need to do. it also might 'ave summat to do wif my abits. i'm pretty much used to putting in 50-60 our weeks de facto, its just i see it as 'ours spent working. ours at wurk fly by for me.

in contrast, i remember a time when i used to work in office jobs when days seemed to last forever, even though they were quite cushy jobs.

Last edited: