1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

medical ethical dilemma

Discussion in 'Medical School Interviews' started by lilac-trix06, Feb 9, 2014.

1. lilac-trix06

lilac-trix06 New Member

My teacher has given me this question:

You are a GP and you have just found out that one of the doctors is giving preferential treatment to white patients. How will you approach this situation??

I have no idea to how to even begin answering this question, its for medical school interview practice that I'll have on Monday. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

2. Dee25

Dee25 New Member

As this is unfair I'd say report it to someone of correct authority as it's racism surely? I'd be very worried about the system if I was wrong. Best wishes with your interview!

3. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

Might worth be checking your facts first, then talk to the individual...

I once was recruiting for a post and only short-listed female candidates for interview. Sexism?

Nope they were candidates that I felt were best qualified - their sex was irreverent and its just was a co-incidence that they were all women.
    The female HR director independently made the same short-list as I did...

a) Don't assume rumours are true, until you check them.
    b) Talk to the person first. - Give them chance to explain / correct their mistakes, before going higher.

4. Dee25

Dee25 New Member

Actually that is an excellent point. I assumed too soon that it would need immediate reporting.

5. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

???

6. Alyssie

Alyssie New Member

I would talk directly to that doctor, ask him/her why she is doing that? Healthcare provided must be equal for everybody.