1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Med. Schools Friendly to International Students

Discussion in 'International Medical Students' started by Robespierre, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Robespierre

Robespierre New Member

As the title indicates, I am wondering which UK med. schools are receptive to qualified international students who are not 'charity cases.'

I am well aware that the number of international spots is limited and that many of the spots are given to students that come from countries with 'inadequate medical facilities,' but I wasn't, until recently, aware that some medical schools only give international spots to students from countries with 'inadequate medical facilities.'

One such school is Manchester. I politely asked 'admissions' a question and was tersely informed that all international spots are for students who come from countries 'with inadequate medical facilities.'

So, are there any international students from first world countries that gained admittance to a UK medical school? Any North Americans? Which schools?

2. Laura_K

Laura_K New Member

I'm Canadian, got offers from King's College London, Dundee, Leicester and Newcastle.

3. J_Wong

J_Wong New Member

Hi, was just wondering what was your Ukcat score to get in? Also, how did you find the interview at King's College?

4. Laura_K

Laura_K New Member

My score was 695 (720, 720, 630, 710). My King's interview was definitely the toughest of the four, though I felt the most prepared as I had already had two interviews. It was quite nerve-wracking, but my interviewers were nicer than I was expecting. Prepare and practice well before and you should be fine.

5. JaneGKT08

JaneGKT08 New Member

Hi,

I'm Canadian as well. Graduated from Kings in 2008. I would highly recommend Kings for med school.

I'm currently a radiology registrar at Barts and the London. Barts also accepts international students and is a solid medical school.

Jane

6. bruised_apple

bruised_apple New Member

Hi Laura,
    I'm a 3rd year overseas medic right now, also from BC. What courses did you take in grades 11 and 12 and if you don't mind, what were your marks/average? I'm just curious to see if expectations have raised after 2 years.

Cheers

7. Laura_K

Laura_K New Member

Hahaha, let's see if I remember. I took Chemistry, Biology, Physics, English, French, Religion (catholic school-required) both years. In Gr 11 I also took Math 12 and Socials and in Gr 12 I took Calculus. Can't remember my exact averages for everything, especially Gr 11, but I know I got 96% in Bio, 97% in Physics and 93% in Chem in Gr 12 and my overall average was around 95, give or take a couple percent. As far as I remember, 3 of my offers were conditional on me getting above 80% average, including Bio and Chem and King's was 90%. Though my marks were high, keep in mind they've done away almost completely with Provincial exams, except in English.
    What school are you at?

8. bruised_apple

bruised_apple New Member

i'm at st andrews at the moment, going to edinburgh next year.
    Catholic school, did you go to LFA?

9. cobaltgirl

cobaltgirl New Member

To my fellow Canadians,

Do you know how difficult it is to get back into Canada once you are a fully qualified doc? I also heard that Canada makes all international students do a Canadian residency training, even if you have done it in the UK before hand..true?! What are your plans once you graduate med school??

10. doctork2

doctork2 New Member

Hello guys,

I'm a medschool-hopeful grade 11 student from Richmond Hill, Ontario! I'm going to sit my UKCAT test on August 29th... I'm actually very anxious about it, as I completely bomb the AR sections when I practice. The other sections are medicore except my DA section, which is awesome (getting perfect every time i do the practice tests)

I'm looking into King's College London, University of St. Andrews, University of Southampton, and Cardiff.

Do you know whether they are friendly with international students who are NOT A-Level or IB? Thank you very much!

Much love,
    doctork2

11. THFan

THFan New Member

Hi doctork2,

Im starting medicine at King's College in September. I applied to Liverpool, Southampton, King's and Newcastle. I havent done any IB or A-level courses but I got interview from Liverpool, King's and Newcastle. I would suggest that u send an email to the schools u r interested in applying to, telling them about your specific qualifications (like what subjects ur taking and what marks u r getting) and ask them if u r eligible to apply. Good Luck!

12. doctork2

doctork2 New Member

How were your UKCAT scores? When I do the practice tests, i get around 720... Hopefully, I'll improve more over the summer when I'm going to actually start preparing for it.

If you don't mind, can you tell me your grade average? (i.e. 90%) I know that many universities in the UK requires Canadian students to get at least a 90% average with 90%+ in Biology and Chemistry. I'm getting 97 in Grade 11 Biology and a 90% in grade 11 Chemistry. However, I have other courses that are 95%+.

Thank you so much!!! I really appreciate your help! :D

13. THFan

THFan New Member

My UKCAT score was 730. I think anything above 700 is a good UKCAT score. My grade 12 average was 96%. It seems like u r getting solid grades in ur subjects. Just keep that up next year as well. Also, unis r big on volunteer work and extracurricular activities so the more experience u have, especially in health care environment, the better it is.

14. doctork2

doctork2 New Member

The problem is, All my sciences/maths marks are high, but subjects like english (which im getting 80 in, because our school is really tough on english - they have a no-90% policy) is bringing my average down to around 92%. Does this bring me to any disadvantages?

15. P.B.P

P.B.P New Member

I was also applying having marks from Ontario High School. My average was 96.8%. My UKCAT score was 700. From my own experience, I know that Liverpool accepts the most amount of international students. I am going there next year and there are around 20 Canadians.

16. THFan

THFan New Member

I believe the schools focus more on your Chemistry and Biology grades but I may be completely wrong. Sorry I don't really know much about how they weigh English.

17. alert

alert New Member

I would like to know how the post grad training work in UK for international students. How long is the post grad training if I just want to be a GP? I am confused with the terms like F1 and F2.

As a international student, how hard is it to stay behind and get post grad training after med school?

Thanks

18. Tony93

Tony93 New Member

Regarding international students at UK medical schools , how are the chances of succeeding in the application for an european candidate ( I came from Romania ).How many of them currently study in UK ?

19. CZephyr

CZephyr New Member

:) I believe Romania is part of the EU (European Union). Your application will be considered alongside "home"/UK local students. For fee - paying purposes, you will not be considered as an international applicant. I also believe it is considerably easier for an EU applicant to gain an offer of place than it is for a non - EU/international applicant.

20. AdinaP

AdinaP New Member

@Tony93, you have all chances to succeed.
    I know a few persons from our dear country who did it.

I wish you good luck !