1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Me

Discussion in 'Weblogs' started by Shehna, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Shehna

Shehna New Member

I've been meaning to start one of these for a while now but just never got round to it. Better late than never though.

So, was back at Uni this week!! Should sound a little depressed about being back so early but I'm pretty damn excited! I have no exams to worry about, because I had them all in late November and early December and passed! Woop woop. And this semester is this best semester ever- I'm on placements (only on fridays but still!!)!! :D

Monday was jam packed with lectures on taking histories and how to behave as we weren't ordinary students...oh no we were student DOCTORS now and we had to behave and act like one. Found out that I was primarily based in the LGI but I'm started with a placement at a GP's.

Before we're allowed on wards we have to pass an exam on hand washing....we're actually getting timed and need to wash our hands in the correct manner under 1 minute. I assure you I have practiced and I am now a pro. So tomorrow I have not only the hand washing to look forward to but I'm getting my NHS student doctor badge!! I'm so excited about this :D I get to parade around the hospital with my student doctor badge and stethoscope around my neck (although we're not allowed to have it round our necks- something about us looking like qualified doctors and staff getting confused). Haven't bought my stethoscope yet as I can't decide on which colour to get :(, I'm thinking teal or just go for black. Need to hurry up as I need it next week!

Spent a ridiculous amount of money this week on buying smart clothes- getting ready for the placements (can you tell I'm excited?!). I have bags littered everywhere in my room. Which reminds me I have to dress smart tomorrow, as the hand washing exam is in the LGI clinical skills bit so we have to look all nice and doctor-ey.

Anyway, although we have hardly anything to do this semester, I have a 3000 word literature review to write on chronic neonatal lung disease and today my tutor gave me several articles to read about it. Better get on with it!

Favourite item of clothing bought this week: Black Hi top trainers!!!
    Listening to: The Stone Roses- She bangs the drums
    Currently Reading: BMJ articles

2. thugster786

thugster786 New Member

Drama queen

you sound like such a drama queen, everything so melodramatic!!! LOL

Then again, I was excited too when I was first let loose on the wards. But the novelty soon wears off, especially when your stood around, trying not to be as useless as some old furniture.

Nevertheless, cherish your ward experience, and be confident, and make as many stupid mistakes as you can now, cos you won't be forgiven in the future!!

If all else fails on the wards, just flutter ur eyelids and pout at any male doctor, and you will get guaranteed help!! Usually works in my hospital, but not on me though!! LOL

3. Shehna

Shehna New Member

Haha, me a drama queen!? Never!

So off I trotted to uni looking very dapper I must say! Met my group in the airport lounge (a common room where all the medics etc hang about- it's meant to resemble an airport lounge hence it's name!) and we all went down to clinical skills together. Took us ages to get there! You will soon learn I hate walking. I will wait 30 minutes for the free city bus in the morning even though I could easily walk to uni in 10. Walking just doesn't mix well with me. Anyway Clinical skills is in the hospitals basement, so a tad far.

The staff were surprisingly nice when we finally got there! We got given chocolates to keep us going and had a practice session washing our hands in the correct manner which resulted in me spraying water all down my front- not a great start!

So after the practice we got led into the pretend ward where I had to rub in some simulated microbe cream thing that shows up under UV light. Forgot what the creams called now but I'm sure most of you know what I'm harping on about. I go to my station and begin! The examiner just stood there watching me, no stop watch like I thought they'd be! Nothing! I remembered all my steps and even remembered my fingertips....only thing I missed was drying my elbow!! Ooops. My hands under the UV were spotless, I am not even kidding! I could not see anything on them...but appernently I needed to pay more attention to my fingertips. What!? The examiner didn't seem to happy about this but handed me a little P anyway. Yay! I can now go on wards! Gold star for me! Well a certificate in my case and another chocolate!! I was going to tag my certificate into this post, but don't think it'll interest many of you so I'll leave it out!

Wasn't pleased about waiting around 3 hours to have my picture taken :(. And really wasn't happy when we had to stand in front of the whole lecture theatre- approx 80 of my class mates and smile at a random guy holding a webcam. Bad times. AND! I didn't even get my badge today! Apparently it takes a while to process...blah.

On a much happier note...well not so happy but a relief. I passed my critical numbers exam. Hmmm wasn't an excellent pass but a pass nevertheless.

Currently: Facebook stalking ;)
    Currently listening to: The Killers- Spaceman

4. Shehna

Shehna New Member

Seen as I haven't posted any pictures yet, heres some:
    Photo-0222.jpg

Photo-0223.jpg

Photo-0224.jpg

So before xmas break we had a 2 week SSC, I choose the creative doctor for mine. Yes you guessed it, the arty one. I gave up art after GCSE as I went into the sciency route of things, but as soon as I saw this was one of the SSC chooses and I would get to draw and paint and do other arty stuff for 2 whole weeks I put it down as my first choice without a seconds thought. Best decision ever!

We were given a blank sketch book and had a series of tasks that we had to complete before we could go and do our own thing. The classes were held at Leeds Art Gallery with an artist and local poet, I should also mention that there were only about 22 of us taking this SSC as that's all they can have on this one, some of us second years and the others third- we share this particular block of SSC. The exercises were free flow writing, writing poems, drawing a portrait, giving random objects voices and having conversations with them- random and rather strange I know but very fun.

The photos that I've attached are from different groups, mine is the first one. We had to get into groups ad write a poem...with medical terminology mixed in with other everyday words. If you look closely you can see a trapezium toothpaste, a banana city and also God's typewriter!

Writing this has made me miss the SSC! Wish I could take the same one next year...but I can't :( damn.

5. Shehna

Shehna New Member

10 am start for me today. Wasn't as cold as I expected and I got onto the free city bus! Score.

So, three lectures on patient evaluation...fun fun. Not really! The first one actually sounded exciting ' Reading reports' but it really wasn't....probably because I didn't understand half the terminology and lost interest half way and started chatting about my weekend to the person sat next to me...not a great start to the morning. I did write some notes though! I now know that CRP stands for C reactive protein.

Second lecture...antibiotics. I'm not going to bore you with the details of this particular lecture, because frankly I have to learn a list of around 50 different antibiotics and what they do. A job for the weekend I reckon. By the time the third lecturer arrived I was ready to leave, but thankfully it was only an intro to the module...which is weird as it should have come at the beginning but some confusion on the timetable meant it was last.

On a brighter note, I'm on the WAMS committee this year, on the presentation team to be exact. Check us out here: So you want to be a doctor? An admissions resource for those applying for medical school in the UK

So it's my job along with 4 other members to give presentations to years 10 and 12 about the joys of medicine and how to get there. I've not done a presentation yet but I've been given one for the 3rd!!! Very excited but also nervous as I'm not really a presentation type of person and a room of high school students is not the perfect audience...but I'm organising the whole thing so maybe I'll just get the others to present and I'll stand back..ahhh one can dream!

#5 Shehna, Jan 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  6. Shehna

Shehna New Member

I am in the Health Studies library as I type this. Slightly annoyed at myself as I forgot to bring my dissection booklet with me- I was hoping to get the first dissection completed for the session next week but no such luck, will have to do it when I get back home.

Pretty busy day today! Had a 3 hour lecture this morning on strokes (again). They were interesting....but sitting in the same place for 3 hours is hard!!!! Even with a comfort break. It felt like I was in school when everyone started to pack away, felt like it was nearing 3pm not 11:55am. The lecturer wasn't impressed as his voice started to steadily rise above the rustling.

After lunch I had a PPD communication workshop. In a few weeks we're getting assessed on how well we talk to patients- a model patient is coming in. Today was a bit of an introduction and we got to grips with what types of questions we would be asking the patient etc.... After the little intro two out of the twenty of us were asked to come out and pretend to be the patient and the other well themselves and ask the patient questions. Everyone refused to be the medical student so we had to put our names in a hat. Now I usually draw the short straw at these things but it wasn't me this time!!! So I got to sit back and give them feedback. Not looking forward to doing this myself in a few weeks.

Hmmm...WAMS meeting in a bit, so best be off.

Currently listening to: Gwen Stefani- 4 in the morning

7. Shehna

Shehna New Member

The WAMS meeting was pretty standard, a few apologies as most of the WAMS team are in 3rd year and there all on clinical rotations in the Pinderfields and Airedale so couldn't make it to Leeds in time for the meeting.

If any of you are in year 12 and live in the Leeds area and fancy having a medical student as a mentor to help you write you personal statement etc, you should get in touch with your head of six and get them to contact WAMS! We're currently pairing up mentees with there mentors and want more mentees!!!

Anyway......my day was going ok apart from the slight frustration at having left my workbook at home. I got the bus back with a friend and sat upstairs at the back as usual. Now we'd been on the bus for about 30/35 minutes and we were nearing our stop, I glanced outside and saw some kids messing about. The next thing I knew the window had shattered. They'd only gone and thrown a rock at the bus! AND! It was the window I had been leaning on a second ago, scary stuff.

What an eventful day.

Went in for a hours lecture today, an hour!!!!! It was a good one though, so I'm not complaining...that much. Wanted to watch slumdog millionaire after the lecture but the showings were all later on in the afternoon and I didn't really fancy sticking around Leeds that long, so I went shopping instead :D

Now I've promised myself not to spend anymore money. I have enough clothes already!!! But I saw the most gorgeous sandals. Yes, I know, it's not summer and yes, it is really really cold out. But they were sooo nice!!!! So, I decided to get them. :D

I'm working on my essay atm, not getting very far :( Only done a couple of lines and I'm bored already. Have to stay motivated!! Im' going out for a meal with the volunteers at a local community centre where I use to volunteer, should be fun to see everyone again.

Currently listening to: NOTHING! My laptop is being stupid.
    Currently reading: Sophia Kinsella- Remember me? (so good!!)

#7 Shehna, Jan 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  8. Shehna

Shehna New Member

The weekend is finally upon us!! Woo. I found out two things this week that I'm not happy about....

1. I don't get critical appraisals. What is the point of them!? Shouldn't they do them before they publish the article so we don't have to. Surely that makes more sense. My group didn't understand half of what was going on, we just sat talking about the latest movies we'd seen. Not an effective way of learning but oh well. I better start paying attention though and making an effort to learn this, we have a summative assignment on critical appraisals for the 12th :(.

2. I'm in Pontefract for my placements. Pontefract?!?!?!? Was my first initial reaction...when I read the instructions on how to get there I said something that shouldn't really be repeated.

My friday mornings will begin with me getting a train from Bradford to Leeds, Leeds to Frtizwilliam (what!?) walk to a bus stop on some road get the bus and then walk to the GP's surgery. No one in my group has a car at hand either. Wow, this is going to be fun! And 9am prompt, I'm going to be waking up at 5am at this rate. Meh. I shouldn't really complain, it'll be fun- the teaching will be brilliant and I'll learn loads. I hope.

On a much happier note. I got my med student NHS badge, woo. It's all fuzzy and I look a little yellow but woooo.

9. Shehna

Shehna New Member

I finally have a stethoscope! I love it, it’s blue and has my name engraved, cannot wait to use it :D.

I know I’ve had a go about critical appraisals before but blah I hate them!!!!! I don’t understand the terminology and neither does anyone else, I spent a good part of two hours nodding and acting like I understood what the tutor was talking about...bad times. I’ll have to take some time out and read all my lecture notes and make sure I understand them for next week’s tutorial.

Went to Pontefract yesterday- what a mission. Had to get the 7.05 train to Leeds and then the 7.47 train to Fiztwilliam and then a bus to Hemsworth and then walk to the GP’s surgery. We got there in good time....so good that the surgery wasn’t even open yet! Wasn’t pleased as it was raining. Once we got into the surgery, we went through how to take a cardio history with one of the GP’s and were then left to take one from a patient! I must have looked petrified, as the patient kept telling me not to look so scared... Anyway, I had an ace time, the patient was really nice and just kept talking- he managed to tell me everything without me asking one question.

Spent all day writing my essay, done about a page so I’m happy.

10. Shehna

Shehna New Member

Wow, I haven't updated this in a while. Oops. I've been very very busy- or pretending to be either way HELLO to all you peeps who are reading this.

So 2nd year ending way back on the 18th of June and what a day it was..... the integrated exam from hell. Before I go there, I'll recap the year.

2nd year took a lot of adjustment, going from first year clinical sciences to second year medicine wasn't just a big jump but it also meant making new friends and trying to fit into being a medical student. Although I found this difficult at first I kinda got used to it and have ended up making some ace friends- all as crazy as me!

I've loved the placements this year. I had a good group so they kept me entertained and there was never a dull moment. I'll always remember my first patient who avoided answering my questions at all costs no matter how I phrased them. And also mistook my clinic buddy as a qualified doctor and thought I was his student.... yes I was rather insulted but hey she could have said worse. Oh, and another thing about placements... I have very cold hands! My patients inform me of this fact all the time, so I started to rub them together before I examine any patient or better yet run my hands under warm water- the latter a consultant suggested.

So, in my last post I mention finally getting my stethoscope... yes the excitement soon wore off as I realised I'm an idiot and I couldn't actually hear anything. When I informed the GP who was teaching me of this we spent about 15 minutes trying to find a heart beat I could actually hear... a tad embarassing but at least I finally heard something!

Apart from placements I also had my exams to think about: Anatomy spot and integrated summative. Anatomy I liked this term- there is no confusing gastrocnemius with any other muscle and I strangely enjoyed learning about the ascending and descending pathways in the brain. The only thing that really phased me in that spot test was the living anatomy station: I always get so nervous! Guess it's to do with the fact a scary looking examiner is accessing what you're doing- but I some how managed 100% on that station! Woo go me :D

The integrated was a killer. It's my own fault as I didn't revise as thoroughly as I should have done. Andddddd I had no clue about some basic clinical examination stuff- but still managed to pass. So- this year I'm making sure I go through EVERYTHING in detail no matter how long it takes!

So that's end of my second year of University and that's how I ended university on the 18th... and went abroad on the 19th :D Oh what fun it was packing the night before and then sleeping for 7.5 hours until I arrived at my destination.

Anyway I'm back now with a lovely tan- wish I was back, the weather here is not good!!!! Starting uni in a couple of weeks- actually looking forward to it. I'm going to leave it at that tonight and go back to reading this blog I've been obsessed with for a while and listen to a little bit of M.I.A.

11. Shehna

Shehna New Member

So I've got just over a week left until University starts and I thought I would spend my time shopping, relaxing, and watching E4 (Gilmore Girls is back on!!! :D) but alas there is no rest for the wicked as I received a lovely letter from Uni this morning informing me that I have some self directed learning to undertake for the first day back- oh joy.

The first module back is Life Cycle- so I have to look over some histology- glad Wheater's is coming in use again, not used it since first year. Hopefully the SDL won't take me too long. Oh and on an even brighter note we start at 8.30am on the first day! 8.30am?! I've been waking up at 10/ 11am- an 8.30 start is going to kill me for sure.

I just realised that in my last post I didn't even mention where I went on holiday! I went to see my family in Pakistan. I hadn't been in about 6 years and I really really wanted to go this year- so me and my mum decided to go a day after my integrated exam. Packing was very hectic, as I did it literally the night before we took off. The flight out there was pretty good actually- 7 hours went flew past. Although it was boiling and the electricity went off hourly I had an amazing time- I didn't want to leave. Shopping was awesome- my aunt knows how to get the best deals, sight seeing was also awesome and just seeing all Grandparents and family was fantastic- I'm getting slightly nostalgic thinking about it now :(.

Anyway I included a few pictures (hopefully it'll work- I don't know how I posted my the last ones! )

Image(189).jpg

I had a pretty hard time choosing..... In Faisalabad Bazaar.

Image0128.jpg

In Lahore- unfortunately my camera decided to play up and I had to use my phone camera instead :(

Currently listening to: Frankmusik - Run away from trouble (<3 his album)
    Favourite thing atm: My new Nike Blazers (how I love them- so new and so so pretty)

12. Shehna

Shehna New Member

Me Me Me

By now you should all have gathered that I'm a 3rd year medical student at Leeds- and that's about it. So I've dedicated this whole post to ME!

I come from West Yorkshire and have lived here all my life. I'm pretty lucky as I live near everything- the highstreet is a 15 minute walk, my secondary school/ six form college is a 2 minute walk, the local chippies, co-op, newsagents are about a minute away. I hate walking, so it's the perfect place to live!

I did my GCSE's at my local secondary school and ended up with a handful of A's, B's and 2 C's- so I did pretty well overall and I was pleased. I decided to stay on at my schools six form college and took A-levels in Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Physics. A little OTT when I think about it now, If I had the choose now I would never have picked Maths and Physics and would have gone for an art's subject instead. I did well in AS and ended up with AABD, the D being in Physics, I didn't want to retake Physics so decided to drop it and carry on with my other A-levels. However, I still wanted a good AS so picked up R.S as an AS.

My University choices were as follows:

1. Sheffield- Medicine ---> Rejection w/o interview
    2. GKT - Medicine ------> Rejection w/o interview
    3. Leeds - Medicine ------> Rejection w/o interview
    4. HYMS - Medicine ------> Offer
    5. Medical Sciences @ Leeds ----> Offer
    6. Clinical Sciences @ Bradford -----> Offer

As you can imagine I was really disappointed with my rejections but one offer was all it took and I was determined to get my AAB but unfortunately it didn't work that way for me so with a little push from my head of six form I decided to go onto Clinical Sciences Foundation Year. But unfortunately it wasn't meant to be that year either! By this time I was losing faith and began to think about what I would do if I didn't get into medicine- what other careers I could possibly pursue. But with a little more hard work and perseverance I got an offer from Leeds through clinical sciences.

Now, that was one hell of a summer. Celebrating with my mates and then working at ASDA and BRI for the rest of the summer. I've been working at ASDA for over 5 years now on the checkouts. Yes, it gets a tad bit boring but the pays good and I like it there- and lime green totally suits me. I started to work at BRI (Bradford Royal Infirmary) during clinical sciences first year. I was an IMPS trainer- Injury Minimisation Programme for Schools. Bit of a mouth full- but the job was amazing. I was in A&E showing school kids around and promoting safe behaviour and accident prevention. I really did want to carry on this job when I got into Leeds but it wasn't possible- my schedule was packed.

NOW- onto the FUN bit :D My favourite favourite past time is SHOPPING. It's any type of shopping- clothes shopping, stationary shopping, food shopping- I'm the Queen of shopping. One of the best things about getting into Leeds is the high street- it's huge and I love it and it's so close to Uni and the train station! AND the free city bus stops right outside Primark- what more can a girl want?!

Most of my loan and grant does go on my clothes- I've struggling with wardrobe space atm so I'm in the process of ordering a wardrobe. ATM I'm obsessed with trainers... I've never been a trainers girl but all of a sudden it's just trainers trainers trainers. I bought 3 pairs in the space of 4 days- crazy even for me!

nike-womens-blazer-mid-black-silver-1.jpg

Nike WMNS Blazers - my new love

SP_A0522.jpg

MY Nike Blazers. I got these beauties at Size? (lovely people in that store- love going in and looking at the trainers and picking up a free magazine). Like my carpet?

Apart from shopping I also love 80's movies. Some Kind of Wonderful is brilliant- I can watch the opening scene all day. Love the music and how the scene is sit- John Hughes is a genius. Pretty in Pink, Back to the Future, Benny & Joon (Johnny Depp is so ace in this movie), sixteen candles, The Breakfast Club- the list goes on.

809-1.jpg

Eric Stoltz!!!!!! A little trivia for you.... Michael J Fox was originally cast for the part as Marty McFly- but turned it down as he had Family Ties going on and couldn't fit it into his schedule, so they gave the part to Eric Stoltz (picture below to prove it!!!)... but after a while MJF came back as his schedule had been resolved so they had to let Eric go (Both brilliant actors!)

back-to-the-future1-thumb.jpg

Apparently Eric was too 'intense' as an actor.

Another great love of mine is music. I was your typical Indie girl a few years ago- all Arctic Monkeys and no Kanye but having hip hop and the whole stussy/ bape scene shoved down my throat on a daily basis I was converted. But I pretty much listen to anything nowadays, La Roux, FrankMusik, The Stone Roses, Oasis etc etc and all the new chart stuff.

13. Shehna

Shehna New Member

I thought it would be a good idea to give my sim card to my mum- to look after as I am prone to losing things. What does my mum do? Lose it. All my numbers gone. I guess it worked to my advantage as I just bought myself a swanky new touch screen phone. Now the tricky bit- getting numbers! Facebook groups work so well for this sort of thing. I don't actually know how I've survived without a phone for the past couple of months. I can finally text and call again!!!!!

Apart from a new phone, I spent all day yesterday cleaning. Yes, cleaning. I didn't realise how much junk I've collected over the years- the Year 7 textbooks, the random Biology coursework, school planners, diaries, revision notes. I'm the sort of person that has to memorise everything when it comes to revision, and I do this by re-writing the same thing over and over again until it's embedded into my brain and I can recite it. As you can imagine this revision technique consumes A LOT of paper! So I spent a good few hours leafing through all my notes and deciding what I actually needed and what might come in use and what I didn't. I know have several paper cuts.

I spent a good hour organising my university folders- had notes coming out of everywhere, they are finally tabbed, labelled, colour coded and in chronological order and are sat on my shelf looking all pretty. Apparently I have done 5 lever arches of work this year....I honestly can't remember learning so much! I hope I don't use another 5 this year- my poor shelf will end up collapsing.

So with the cleaning done, I decided to finally get myself a fob watch. Seen as I'm starting firms this year- I'm going to be on placements at a hospital/ GP for approx 5/6 weeks Monday till Thursday and back at uni for lectures on the Friday- I decided it was high time got myself one. All this doesn't happen until January 5th though- at the moment we'll be spending Monday till Thursday at uni having lectures, friday mornings placement and friday afternoon back at uni for more lectures. Back to the fob watch- I've been meaning to buy one for a while now but never got round to doing it, so with that done I can start taking pulses and BP properly rather than fobbing it off to one of my placement buddies.

14. Shehna

Shehna New Member

Wow! I have not updated this in ages. A lot of stuff has happened this past year so I’ll start from the beginning.

Started my third year of medical school on the 21st September at 8.30 am. 8.30am?! Yes! 8.30am. All I can really remember is how good it was to see everyone again and how eager I was to start after my long summer. The feeling didn’t really last after we had our induction though.

First semester was mainly built around the Life Cycle module. Life cycle incorporated anatomy, histology (boo), portfolios, presentations, lectures and a lot of hard work. I’ve enjoyed anatomy throughout my years at medical school although the smell of formaldehyde does get a bit too much after a few hours in the DR and you end up famished by the end of the session.

Anatomy this year was pretty gross tbh. Dissecting the penis and looking for all the ligaments that supported the ovaries was not really my cup of tea. Although there were only 4 practical’s to get through for anatomy, histology and embryology were also huge components of the spot test. Histology- arghh, took me so long to get my head around this! Embryology- was a little easier as the lectures on it were really concise.

The other part of life cycle: Presentations every week on a case study. We had a booklet of several cases that we had to present to the rest of the group. Each group was split, so one group would take Basic Science, the other Clinical pathology, another Ethics, and the other Social & cultural. I don’t mind giving presentations, but having to go through so much material every single week was a nightmare and to make things worse I had to write a précis on the case including all the sections I hadn’t presented on- which made up a portfolio at the end of 8/9 weeks.

Semester 1 ended with an anatomy spot test and a completed portfolio for which you get combined mark for. I found the spot difficult, I remember not even seeing most of the pins on the prosections and repeating myself so many times. But luckily I passed!

Semester 2
    PLACEMENTS! My first placement was at Pinderfields. I was on a GI ward and then the MAU. I was staying on site which made things so much easier. I loved Pinders! All the staff were so friendly and let me get on with my own thing most of the time. I had a blue book which I had to get filled before the end of my placements- simple things really like taking blood pressure, taking blood, put a cannula in etc. I found that the FY1’s were the best people to learn from. They seriously taught me so much on the first placement.

Although most of the time I did feel like a spare part on the wards, with my blue book handy I tried to get as many things as I could signed off so I could get on with other things.

My second placement was in the LGI on the cardio ward. I’d asked a friend who was on the cardio firm for his first placement what it would be like ‘easy! You’re not even in most days.’ I was pretty pleased to hear this, but little did I know there were 2 cardio firms running at the LGI... My consultant was pretty hardcore!! I was asked to do a cardio exam on the first day in front of the rest of my group and my consultant, pretty easy I thought as I was pretty confident doing a cardio examination. Erm...no. To a cardiologist I was doing everything wrong. I was bombarded with questions: Why do you get splinter haemorrhages? What murmur correlates with a collapsing pulse? Name me the different waves of the JVP? What is the definition of the apex beat? I have never been so embarrassed in all my life. I wanted to ground to just swallow me up. My consultant was very nice though and did say he wasn’t picking on me but just wanted everyone to learn. In a way I’m glad he was the way he was, it made me learn from and it made me actually go home that night and learn everything on cardio examinations I could possibly ever need.

Although the firm was pretty hardcore, I learnt so much. I was asked one time if I had brain failure by my consultant...oops.
    The third and final placement was GI surgery at the BRI. I never want to do surgery. My poor feet. Scrubbing up takes forever, the masks are itching and standing about for several hours doesn’t really appeal to me. I enjoyed watching the surgeries and assisting- holding equipment etc nothing too exciting I just found that I wasn’t cut out to be a surgeon.
    I finally put in a cannula on this firm. It’s harder than it looks. I didn’t think I would be so worried about the patient but I couldn’t stop thinking about how much pain the patient might be in. After 4 failed attempts and growing more and more worried and annoyed at myself I finally got a cannula in.

The main things I learnt from my placement were:
    1. Have breakfast you never know when you’ll have lunch.
    2. Have a breakfast bar in your bag.
    3. Attach yourself to an FY1, they will teach you everything!
    4. Get stuck in, there’s no point being afraid of patients. Just go up to them and talk
    5. ASK! If you don’t get anything ask someone! Nurses are nice! Take them biscuits, they will love you for the rest of your firm. Clinical Educators arereally useful too.

As soon as the placements were done we were back to revision: OSCE and the integrated. I was confident with the OSCE as it was essentially everything i’d been learning throughout my firms.

OSCE: Examinations: You only get 6 minutes and trying to remember everything is tricky. Cardio, respiratory – had to examine BOTH sides of the patient in 6 minutes?!, PNS, GALS, and abdominal examination came up.

Histories: I find these a little trickier. I’m fine talking to real patients, they tell you pretty much everything. But for the OSCE you need to ask specific questions, if you don’t ask, patients won’t tell you and you won’t get the mark. Difficulty in swallowing, black outs, focused social history, hypertension advice, MI, haemturia, heamoptysis, and a diabetes history.

Skills: Urinalysis, Breast examination, ECG, taking blood, vital skills, and ABPI (so difficult to do properly in 6 minutes!),

The integrated exam was pretty hardcore. It covers everything that we’ve learnt this year pretty much. It was a three hour exam and most of the time was spent on me thinking what?! Have we actually learnt this?! Anaemia’s, cancers, breast disease, and heart murmers. Can’t remember anything else that came up. Went to Italy the day after the exam, very good break! Venice is beautiful!!!

Anyway got my results that other day and I passed!!! Don’t know how I managed to pass the integrated but I did. I’m on my SSC3.3 atm, have a few more weeks left of that and then I will on my jollydays.

So, that was 3rd year. I can’t believe I’m nearly done for this year, it only seems like I started yesterday. I am getting ready to intercalate now. Going off to Newcastle for the year to study Physiology. Cannot wait!

15. Shehna

Shehna New Member

I would like term to finish already!!!

I’m on my SSC at the moment. I am teaching Year 9 students at a local school about health related careers and topics. Had to deliver a workshop on Diabetes with the rest of my group today. Went pretty well!

We set up a few ‘stations’ and pretended to follow a patient who might have Diabetes along his treatment and management. He saw a Diabetologist aka me and I taught them how to take blood pressure. Then they moved onto the podiatrist who went through gross pics of gangrene feet and ulcers (nice!). The Nurse went through urinalysis- we used coffee before you ask. And lastly we had a glucometer station were they all got a turn to ‘stab’ my colleague. They loved it.

We have the deliver the same thing tomorrow and Thursday. I’m trying to write my report on this project atm, it’s going OK but I’m really not in the mood to write anything that requires two brain cells. I’m basing the whole thing on the notion to have medical students throughout the country deliver similar workshops. WAMS has been really successful and Leeds Medical Students came up with that through the same SSC so there’s a chance this could work as well....maybe...we’ll see.

Currently listening to: The new England song by Dizzie Rascal. My sister has it on repeat....very catchy after the 50th listen! COME ON ENGLAND!

16. Shehna

Shehna New Member

DONE DONE DONEEEE!!!!!! 3rd year is FINALLY done and dusted. My summer can begin!!!!

As you can tell....last day of term. So happy to have finally finished, now I can have a chilled out summer, make money, and get ready for Newcastle.

I wish the 'chillin' could have started today, but alas I was roped into helping out at Leeds Uni Open day. I was basically talking to six formers about medicine and why they should choose Leeds and not any other Uni. It was actually pretty cool, I had no idea Leeds had uped their entry requirements to three A's! They also had some lovely new brochures outlining the new curriculum changes. PPD is now called IDEALS....hmmm don't know how I feel about that one.

My voice is so hoarsh from doing all the doing- and I have to do all this again tomorrow! Good thing I get paid.

17. Shehna

Shehna New Member

It’s been a while since I posted on here, so sorry! The last few months have been uber busy. I moved to Newcastle (woop woop!) and started my intercalated degree in Physiological Sciences. See....I have been a busy bee.

I’m loving the city and the course. Everyone is really friendly and I’m having an amazing time. Although I do miss medicine...

I have an exam next week on the physiology of the nervous system. I have spent the last few days stuck in my room, doing some hardcore revision. The only way that I can revise is to memorise pretty much. I write things down several times before I can recite it by heart- it’s the only way that works for me! I go through a lot of paper as you can imagine.

I'm so glad I picked Physiology, it's a really well taught course, and cohort number is small so you get to know everyone really quickly, and everyone is just really really nice!

Anyway, not a very long post today, as revision calls, boooo!

18. Shehna

Shehna New Member

So, I started back at Newcastle in January. Had a neuro exam- which was a bit different from Leeds. At Leeds we have EMQ’s and MCQ’s but in Newcastle it’s EMI’s...I forgot what it stands for but basically it’s MCQ’s on a computer and you get your results back straight away! I got a 2:1 which I was more than happy about.

This semester is dissertation time! I’m at the National Institute for Cancer Research where I’m doing a lab based project. I really didn’t think I would enjoy lab work only because I’ve hardly had any lab exposure since first year Clin sci, and that was a while ago! But I’m really enjoying myself, partly because all the staff are so nice, my supervisor is brilliant and is always at hand if I need anything or get stuck, and my project is pretty straight forward.

My project is on SOD and breast cancer. In a nut shell I’m trying to find as association between SOD polymorphisms and breast cancer patients on certain drug therapies. I make up well plates (which take me about an hour to do one) and then stick it into a centrifuge to spin and then into a PCR machine to read. The process for one plate overall takes about 3 hours, so you can imagine how long it has taken me to do 15 plates – a LONG time! I’m pretty much in labs 9 till 6.30pm or sometimes later- and although it sounds horrific it’s not too bad! I just get on with it and plus my results are spot on, so I’m happy!

Anyway, I better get back to writing up my dissertation, I have football training later this evening and want to get all my work done before then.

19. Shehna

Shehna New Member

So my time at Newcastle University is over and I’m home for the Summer. I’ve had such an amazing year in Newcastle, words honestly cannot describe what a fantastic time I have had! The people, the course, the city! It’s been different but any qualms I had about intercalating before this year have definitely been dissolved.

If any of you are deciding whether to intercalate or not, I’ve put together a pro’s and con’s list that may be able to help you decide.

CONS

1. If you decide to intercalate at new University, you will essentially be a fresher. Getting used to a new city and new University takes time..
    2. You’ll be joining the 3rd year of a degree programme, it’s difficult!!!! Everyone is already in friendship groups and making new mates can be difficult at first.
    3. Some students may have a problem with you joining them in their 3rd year. You are essentially getting a degree in one year whilst these students have slaved away for 2.
    4. If the University you are staying at doesn’t provide you with halls, finding accommodation can be tricky.
    5. It’s a year out of Medicine. Getting back into 4th year can be a little difficult. You’ll be using your summer to go over everything you’ve forgotten.
    6. Finance. Another year at University another year of tuition fees and accommodation costs.

PROS

1. If you are another University, you’re meeting new people, discovering a new city, it’s so exciting!
    2. It’s a breath air from Medicine. It’s a different course and you get a welcome break from a really intense course.
    3. Writing a dissertation and doing a research programme. Many medical degrees do not expect you to write a dissertation and doing one lets you gain so many skills! Although I did enjoy my research project and it was totally different from anything I’ve ever done, I now know I do not want to go into research.
    4. Getting a BSc.
    5. Broadening your horizons. The year allows you to be taught in a different way. My degree was very much about experimental data and reading A LOT of literature.

There are probably a lot more cons and pros, but all I can say is that I have not one regret about intercalating. I have loved this year and I was so sad to leave Newcastle. The course was different and allowed me to learn in a different way to the way I’d done during my medical course. My exams were 3 hour essay based exams (which were a killer btw!) which the only downside of the year.

But if you have the opportunity to intercalate, do it!

20. Shehna

Shehna New Member

I am officially a Graduate from Newcastle University with a 2.1 BSc (Hons) in Physiological Sciences. Sounds a lot more impressive each time I see it written down.

For those of you who haven’t graduated or been to a graduation, they are messy affairs! My day kicked off with me collecting tickets and my gown for the ceremony. It took my sister and me a good 10 minutes to figure out what went where! The hoods for the gowns are really weird and sit funny. Once I finally got it in place, it felt amazing! I felt like I was at Hogwarts!

I was minus a mortar board during the day. Although my sister was very upset about this fact, as she wanted to try the hat on and take pictures...I was secretly pleased as I didn’t want to spoil my hair!

The ceremony itself was amazing. It was so nervous getting up on stage, but the whole thing goes by so fast that you don’t really have time to think or feel anything.

So...a little advice to those who are nearing graduation:

1. Bring safety pins. The hood of the gown is a nightmare to get right without them. I forgot my pins and ended up having to borrow some.

2. Bring an umbrella. British weather is typically unpredictable. The day started of gorgeous- the sun was out and it was boiling hot, it came to midday and it was pouring down with rain!

3. Take sisters. My sister was an amazing help, she not only fixed my gown but took all the pictures throughout the day.

4. Keep your phone with you. If you’re not coming up with your parents on the day, prepare for them to get lost on the way and ring you several times.

5. Wear comfortable shoes. I thought I was safe as I was only wearing kitten heels, boy was I wrong, I still can’t feel my feet!

Anyway, Graduation was amazing; it was a fantastic way to end the year.