MBBS/PHD

Discussion in 'Imperial College School of Medicine' started by rolex, Oct 3, 2004.

1. rolex

rolex New Member

Is it possible to do an 8 year MBBS/PHD at imperial

2. Ausencia

Ausencia New Member

I really don't think so..

3. Wuzz

Wuzz New Member

Yes you can, but you have to be an outstanding student.

Taken from: here

I think this was discussed in another thread. Try doing search for MBBS/PhD.

Cheers

4. nep04

nep04 New Member

Yes

I've just completed my PhD and have returned to the 5th year of medicine. It takes 9 years in total though, not 8 (6 year MBBS + 3 year PhD)

Very tough to do though, I'm sure I won't regret it but sometimes it seems that doing a PhD later on in my career would have been a better idea...

5. LightElf7

LightElf7 New Member

Hi there nep04, I'm considering taking up an intercalated PhD as well, but I was wondering how big an impact the area you choose has in your later career?

For instance, I'm personally very interested in anything Neuro, and I'd like to become a Neurosurgeon later. But there is this interesting research into Neuropathic Pain for which a PhD position is available. Do you think a PhD in Pain would help in my career as a Neurosurgeon? Or does your PhD field of study HAVE to be something related to the specialty you later choose to take or else the PhD will not help you at all?

Thanks!

6. zhangyuzhi

zhangyuzhi New Member

one problem with this is, that you are breaking apart the continuity of clinical training unless you do it after year 1 (a hectic year in terms of the volume of knowledge, and makes life harder if you are preparing for applications for PhDs). The faculty (and most teaching staff I personally came across) actually discourages this scheme, particularly in the situation where the student is unable to maintain certain degree of clinical contact (e.g. in clinic once a week). Also, if one is inclined towards academic medicine, an early PhD might also mean he/she will be slightly outdated when returning to the field 3,5,7 years later.