1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mature Undergraduate chances of getting in?

Discussion in 'Mature Students' started by DawnieK, Sep 13, 2016.

1. DawnieK

DawnieK New Member

Hi everyone

I was hoping you guys could give me your honest option, since i keep going back and forth and finally just decided that i need some outside help to make the decision.

I am 26 as of right now and never gone to any kind of University or have any kind of "provable" medical experience so i would be the typical "fresh out of Secondary school" applicant only almost ten years older!

I do qualify for all academic requirements and language requirements -since i am a german citizen, so that is not the problem and not the question at all.
    I also have a good letter of recommendation of the UCAS application if i do decide to go ahead and try, so once again not the problem.

I have good UKCAT scores, as well.

BUT
    I don't have any medical, health or science experience that i have any evidence or prove for.

I personally -one of the reasons that i only apply now- have had chronicle pain problems for over 10 years and have had a lot of experience with hospitals and doctors and all kinds of medical staff and stuff. But i have no idea how that would help in a medical school application.

I also have been helping to care for two cancer patient over the last five years, but those have been family cases and while it helped me in understanding that i really want to study medicine, i don't have any letters of recommendation or anything like that and since as i said it was for family and because i could help.

I have been working in the family business as the secretary/PA/customer consultant for over 10 years now as well, but once again i can't really get a letter of recommendation out of that because that would not feel real i would guess and i personally wouldn't feel that good about it either.

I have been doing some courses and getting CPD Diplomas in Medical Secretary, PA, two CBT (Counseling & Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) one of them advanced, and Master Herbalist.
    I am also have a IVCAS diploma for Dyslexia Therapy and am currently taking a NCFE course for Sport and Exercise Nutrition.

So my question is, without actual health or medical work experience or volunteer work, do i even stand a chance?
    Is the academic stuff enough to have a real chance at being considered for a place?

I would really appreciate anyone that gives their option :)

2. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

Most medschools do expect some consistent volunteering over at least 6 months. But that only need be a few hours a week.

3. DawnieK

DawnieK New Member

But does it count if i don't have anything official to prove i did it?
    Because that is where i am debating on with myself. I did have the experience from those things and i learned a lot, i personally think a lot more then in any "real" volunteer work but because i don't have any paperwork or official person i can let anyone get in contact with i have no idea if it counts or not.

4. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

Can anyone there write a letter? That is what they ask for.
    Some Uni's will need this.

The key element is usually being able to talk the talk about your experiences. It's vital that you can express what you have learned and gained from the experience.