1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mature non-science student applying to Med school

Discussion in 'Mature Students' started by primrose, Sep 2, 2016.

1. primrose

primrose New Member

Hi guys,
    Just thought of starting a thread so that I can be clear about my options at hand and plan accordingly. Have been going through the conversations/threads posted here, found this community very helpful!
    I am actually an international student, moved to England in 2015 post my marriage. But having worked in the healthcare sector for sometime, want to study medicine now.

I have a B grade in my GCSE & A level (non science), A pass class in Bachelors & a Masters degree in economics with 70 % I know my academics look pretty messed up,:(so want to rectify things now ..

Some quick questions- I am looking at the 2018 intake

Do I need to sit for GCSE Maths and/or A levels in Physics/Chemistry / Biology?
    Which Board is advisable - AQA / Edexcel or anything else?
    How do students usually prepare here? take different entrance exams for different universities? So do they end up taking multiple entrance exams since BMAT is different from GAMSAT and to UKAT?
    Can you please suggest the Universities that are open to Mature students
    Any suggestions to make my application more acceptable.

Thank you in advance !!

2. dr_med

dr_med New Member

Hiya.. i'm in a similar boat but I don't intend to do A levels. I found this link yesterday and I think you'll find it useful:
    http://www.medschools.ac.uk/SiteCol...Entry-requirements-for-UK-medical-schools.pdf

It contains all medicine courses (4 and 5 yr) so you can see the difference in the entry requirements.

To answer your questions:
    -you don't have to but if you do, it will open up more options.
    -Both exam boards will be fine.
    -If you want to open up your options, you take all 3. Personally, I'm only doing GAMSAT and UKCAT. I don't intend to apply to BMAT universities so there was no point taking them.
    -Yes, you're classified as a graduate. You can apply to either the GEM (4yrs) courses (graduates only) or a mix of GEM and 5/6 yr courses.

A couple of things to keep in mind:
    -will you be classed as an international student? if so, you'll need to check the chosen universities actually accept international students.
    -Funding for a graduate on GEM is different (more generous) from a 5/6yr course.
    -GAMSAT is valid for 2 yrs so if you do it this year and do very well, you can use it for next yr's application form too. You can also redo it in March so you know your scores before next year. For the UKCAT, you have one chance per year. It's not a difficult test, just gotta master time mgmt (which i clearly failed to do a few weeks ago :O)

Good luck!

3. primrose

primrose New Member

Thank you for the input dr_med!!!

4. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

As Dr Med says any exam board will do. In fact he covers most of what I planned to say.

To me your weak point is your pass degree as the minimum usually accepted is a 2.2 However, for some Uni's your masters will supersede that and still qualify you to apply.

I think you will find that the 5-year course that accept graduates your best bet, if you can afford the extra cost.

5. primrose

primrose New Member

Got it, so I shall first speak to the university and then plan accordingly.
    Thank you so much dr_med and Martigan.