Masters degree in Medical design - Needs your insight!

Discussion in 'Liverpool Medical School' started by mikekirke, Jun 26, 2012.

?

Do medical Staff use hand sanitation enough when moving around a hospital environment

Poll closed Jul 6, 2012.
  1. Yes, all the time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. When remembered

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mikekirke

mikekirke New Member

My name is Michael Kirke I am based in Liverpool and am currently studying for my Masters degree in Medical design.
    It this point in my study's i am collecting research to support my Major Project. It would be greatly uselful and appreciated if you could read over my project intent and give me your thoughts and feelings about the issue I have chosen and if you feel my product will be effective.

Project Title:
    Super Clean hands - 'hand hygiene' regime in active health care environments

MRSA stands for meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (superbug)
    MRSA is particularly dangerous in hospitals - NHS patients are at higher than normal risk of picking up a Saureus infection on wards.

This is for two reasons. Firstly, hospital populations tend to be older, sicker and weaker than the general population, and therefore more vulnerable to infection. Secondly, conditions in hospitals involve a great many people living cheek by jowl, examined by doctors and nurses who have just touched other patients - the perfect environment for the transmission of all manner of infections. Once these patients develop an infection they’re less able than a healthy person to fight it and urgent treatment with antibiotics may be critical. But because MRSA is resistant to many antibiotics, it may quickly overwhelm a weak patient, or cause a festering infection (for example in a wound or a joint implant) that causes tissue destruction and chronic disability.

A study of 5,810 hospitals
    Excerpt from Unhealthy Hospitals: "The Chicago Tribune's investigative series penetrates the healthcare industry's long hidden facts about the rising rate of infection-related, preventable hospital deaths. This comprehensive analysis of 5,810 hospitals nationwide... calculated 103,000 deaths in 2000 from hospital grown infections--75% were preventable."
    Alliance for Human Research Protection.

My project will focus specifically on permanently fixed hand sanitation dispensers between different wards, but through a scanning system the dispenser will be able to record and monitor each hosbital workers use of the cleaning device, in an aim to create a more openly aware cleaning / hygiene responce when moving around a hospital. The recordings will then be stored and be used as the hospital sees fit.

Possible uses for the recorded data:
    - A hospital leader board could be set up and the hospital workers could be motivated to us the product more to beat work colleagues.
    - The data could be openly published the hospital website in an aim to prove to potential patients that 'our Dr's and nurses are hygienic'

It will study the behvoural effect a permanlantly fixed product feature has on working staff - will they adopt it as a part of working protocol?