1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manchester College Access to Medicine 2013-2014

Discussion in 'Access to Medicine' started by kenndelhannah, Apr 3, 2013.

1. kenndelhannah

kenndelhannah New Member

Hi everyone

Was just wondering if anyone out there has applied/is applying for the Manchester College Access to Medicine course starting in September 2013? I applied for the course last year and got a place but couldn't go due to financial reasons. I applied again this year and have an interview tomorrow :) Would be nice to talk to people going through the same thing!!

2. Beee

Beee New Member

hey kenndelhannah, I applied to the course had my interview today, the assessment went terrible absolutely horrendous but my interview was okay and i have the required GCSE of As in sciences and maths, what basis to do the take the candidates on since you got a place last year ? Goodluck tomorrow!

3. Aphrodite

Aphrodite New Member

Hey :)
    Even I had my interview on the 3rd April. assessment went okay but the tutor seemed awfully bored and I couldn't really sell myself :(
    he said that they received about 500 applications yet for 30 places. Proper smashed all my hopes.
    Also since I have science A levels but didn't get 'high enough' grades, he said the universities frown upon this, so might won't even look at my applications. My only hope is if they make an exception for me due to my extenuating circumstances.
    Anyways enough of my angry rant LOL. I hope u did well kendelhannah and good luck Beee :)
    P.S- which campus u applied for?

4. TheTool

TheTool New Member

Hey guys

Ive applied but have not really had my interview yet, only just got a letter saying they are considering my application!

5. Beee

Beee New Member

Hey Aphrodite,
    I have science Alevels too but didnt get thw grade requirements but when I called up some unis they said they only look at your access course your alevels become irrelevant. The woman who interviewed me seemed really vacant so I couldnt tell whether I did good or bad tbh she seemed impressed with my GCSEs but thats all I was able to gather from her expressions. I applied to t to the Nicholls campus were did you apply? What time was your interview you must have been in my group? :)

6. Aphrodite

Aphrodite New Member

Hey beee,
    Omg I can't tell u how happy I am to read about that our A levels become irrelevant! Can u give me a list of all the unis that said that? And yes my interview did take place at the Nicolls campus at 9:30 in the morning. Were u in that group? But my first choice is northenden campus. Just like that building better lol. Do u mind me asking which year u took ur A levels in?

7. kenndelhannah

kenndelhannah New Member

There isn't really a basis, but from my experiences they are looking for people who can explain and clearly show why they have chosen the course and show how they know they want to be a doctor. I got the same results on the tests as last time and Andreas said I was a very strong candidate to hopefully it will be good news :)

Whats led you to apply to the course?

8. kenndelhannah

kenndelhannah New Member

Hey TheTool and Aphrodite.

It's good that some Unis have said they will just look at your access course. I know a few people who were in your situation and I was under the impression that although unis may accept you with this, the actual access course is made for people who didn't take science A levels/no A levels. It sounds like MANCAT are considering you though if they interviewed you :) so it's really important to just ring/email every universities admissions department with a full CV and ask them to advise you on your status. Every uni is different unfortunately and it is true that some frown on it more than others.

Good luck to you both :)

9. Beee

Beee New Member

from the ones I have called up newcastle manchester keele hyms leicester liverpoole cardiff are the ones i contacted that said they only look at your access course. yeah i was in that group:) i took my alevels last year am 19 on the 20th of this month so just on the mark for the age range, how about you when did you do your alevels if you dont mind?

10. Beee

Beee New Member

I have always loved medicine and i just missed the mark with my alevels so instead of an undergraduate degree then doing med as a post grad i felt this course would be best suited to me! am quite stubborn tbh and I dont really have any other passion i have wanted to do this for so long that i feel try all I can to go straight in before I try undergrad degree! i love medicine and everything its about! how about you?

11. kenndelhannah

kenndelhannah New Member

Hi again everyone,

Just to let you all know that I got my letter today from Mancat and....I've got an unconditional place for september 2013
    :D

So your letters should be with you soon I assume?
    It is a bit early for the letters to be arriving so mine just might be because I've applied before?
    Anyway, good luck:)

12. Mamba

Mamba Member

Well done everybody :)

Dr Andreas is a bit of a legend, 5 years on from Mancat, just about to sit my 4th year exams, final exams in 8 weeks.

It really works, just have to work hard with it. I always come back to this forum at exam times to remind myself how hard I have worked, how far I have come. It is a long, hard road. It is very fulfilling however. There is no secret to it, no hidden traps or agendas.... just work hard, be smart with what you do, don't take your foot off the peddle for a moment (hardest part) and keep your head down.

The reason I am here as a mature student and not a long time qualified doctor, is that when I was young, I fell to the fallacy that some people are just smarter, that there are limits in ability and therefore goals. Its bullshit...... if someone does better than you, they worked harder. If you do poorly, you didnt work hard enough. Obviously there is room for genetics and environment (background), but at the most, this will just make things HARDER not impossible !!!!

Good luck, get as much decent hospital experience as you can get. Slog your guts out. Write a PERSONAL statement, not a generic statement, you need to stand out from thousands of people.

When times get tough, remember the feeling you have now, starting access......

See you on the wards xxx ;)

Mamba

HejHej likes this.
  13. stevebroad567

stevebroad567 New Member

Am also applied but am eagerly waiting for my interview.

14. UpontheTyne

UpontheTyne New Member

Hi, everyone. I've got my interview and assessment on 13th May.
    A quick question to everyone who's had their assessment, who did it include?
    Maths and english test?

thanks in advance
    Robert.

15. kenndelhannah

kenndelhannah New Member

Hi Robert

Congrats on getting an interview. The assessment consists of a basic Maths and an English test. The maths tests you on things like percentages, volume, division, ratio, diameter and perimeter and some other things. It's done on a computer and you only have a calculator for questions that need one (they have a calculator on the computer screen that comes on for certain questions). The English test tests you on things like punctuation, understanding text, spelling and other things. You also have to write a short essay on 1 of 3 topics. You'll then have a chat with one of the course leaders who will go through your application form and ask you some questions.

Good Luck

16. Aphrodite

Aphrodite New Member

Hey Bee,
    Sorry for late reply!
    I turned 19 too this year so I took my A levels last year. I am just so stumped after the interview. I am so scared that I won't get in. Well best of luck to both of us I guess :)
    P.S- I am still not giving up

17. Aphrodite

Aphrodite New Member

Kendelhannah,
    Congratulations! I would kill to be in your position right now :) hope I get my acceptance letter too. When was your interview btw?

18. kenndelhannah

kenndelhannah New Member

Aw thankyou :)
    My assessment was on April 4th I think. I was very shocked to get my letter less than 2 weeks later as last time I applied it took 2 months! Must have done something right :)

Did your interview go well? When was it?

19. Aphrodite

Aphrodite New Member

i had mines in march and they said I'll find out in may. My interview went good but c'mon 500 applications and only 30 places :s the odds are not in my favour. Anyways which campus are u going to?

20. kenndelhannah

kenndelhannah New Member

It's true there's not many places, but you also need to remember that a lot of people apply who are not qualified to apply, such as people with no experience or wrong GCSEs etc. so the actual amount competing is lower - Dr Andreas told me that himself. What's your background? I remember that you have just done your A levels? And I'm going to Northenden :) x