1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Listing academic qualifications after name

Discussion in 'Current Medical Students' started by Chulalongkorn, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Chulalongkorn

Chulalongkorn New Member

This all seems a wee bit pompous but I can't find the answers anywhere so perhaps some of you guys may know...

Is there an "accepted" way of listing your academic qualifications in an abbreviated form after your name? Should it be done in the chronological order you attained them? Or is it bachelors degrees first, higher degrees second?

Should I even care? :D

2. yazoo

yazoo New Member

No :D

It's often done by seniority of degree, but this (for most) is also chronological. If I needed to do it (and I have never yet had a need :D ) I would do it by seniority of degree)

3. S Knights

S Knights Moderator

In my experience most doctors (if they are writing a formal letter etc) will go for their medical degree first, followed by any Royal College qualifications... thus you could end up as:

Dr A (MBBS, MRCP) (or whatever college they are associated with MRCGP, MRCCH, MRCRad, MRCPsych etc)
    or
    Mr A (MD, FRCS) (or MRCOG etc etc)

Depending on whether you go onto do a higher medical degree - if you do you drop the MBBS and use MD).

In general terms though if you do a BSc, MSc and PhD you would probably just put PhD (and Dr at the front of course).

I wouldn't worry about it too much to be honest though!

4. yazoo

yazoo New Member

The time to worry about it is when you get your name added to the departmental notepaper (and I guess that'll be a few years away for most of us :D )

5. yazoo

yazoo New Member

But maybe not if MMC have anything to do with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. S Knights

S Knights Moderator

I'll be happy just to get some letters behind my name at the moment... (middle-of-finals paranoia...)

7. yazoo

yazoo New Member

It will be fine!

Was horrible at the time though. Remember it vividly!

Good luck :D

8. Renal

Renal New Member

I thought it was 'X X PhD' or 'Dr XX', not both?

Also to add, it's not uncommon when someone has one or two memberships or fellowships to drop the MBBS.

9. Chulalongkorn

Chulalongkorn New Member

That is correct.

Apparently in Germany if someone has 2 doctorates they call themselves Herr Dr Dr Schmidt (or whatever). Strange. Just a useless factoid for you on this glorious Saturday arvo.