1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Limited work experience before A2M

Discussion in 'Access to Medicine' started by Hungry Joe, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Hungry Joe

Hungry Joe New Member

#1 Hungry Joe, Apr 27, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  2. Doms

Doms New Member

Hey Joe,

i'm kind of in the same position as you in relation to work experience. I had my interview in Feb and one of my conditions for being accepted onto the course was to get NHS experience. Two months down the line and I've only just sorted out a Doctor's Assistant job. It's full time but I would have to leave after 4 months to start COWA. I personally think this would not look as good as doing it for a year and this was backed up when I spoke to an admissions tutor at Leeds.

I'm ringing COWA on Monday to ask to defer for a year and get experience. From what I've heard I don't think there'll mind.

From what I've heard, access students don't generally compete against school leavers so the more work experience the better.

3. Mamba

Mamba New Member

Hi guys,

im just at the end of my A2M, its a great course. Experience is a huge part of getting in. Dont think of shadowing surgeons as the only thing good enuf to get noticed, care homes, the nurses bank at your local hospital.. it all counts. Any local charities to you will appreciate your help. It all counts. When the med schools visited us in college they mentioned they wanted at least 2weeks worth of work experience or voluntary work. I really htink its a box they want ticking. Also be as honest as u can be when reffering to it, mention doctors names and places u worked so they can confirm it. I have read a few blogs about how uni's dont check the experience you have partook in, assume they do.

4. bathory

bathory New Member

Hey all,

I don't think my post will be helpful, but anyway...

I'm in the same position as you guys are, I've been working for Bupa as a care assistant for the last 14 months, recently I got offered a position in Nhs in theatres as a care assistant (really excited about this job)

I'm going to have my interview at COWA soon, so if I do get in (I'm not saying I will, but who knows, right?), it would be a BIG dilemma for me to decide as well, whether to take the job or leave the job after 3 months and go to college.

Welcome all opinions.

5. agneishd

agneishd New Member

i'd include imperial in that elite list...

6. elz

elz New Member

ooo im in ur elite list!!
    im also a (nearly) psychology grad and went to COWA.
    are u sure u cant apply with ur degree because i think places like warwick medicine for health grads includes psychlogy as a health grad??
    if u do have to go for access option, uv enough work experience to get onto access course. then u can always get more experience before med school interviews. i woudlnt say cutting ur phlebotomy short would be harmful coz if anyone did mention it ud just say u decided to do the access course or watever as u thot it would aid ur application, be most beneficial or watever.

7. elz

elz New Member

o by the way in my yr 06-07 i knew one guy who got into cambridge but he was incredibly intelligent (hope hes not listening! lol) and already had a first in a degree! dont know of anyone who got into oxford, but thats not to say they didnt, but again i think ud need to have something more then just the access course, but who knows. aberdeen-not many seem to apply there from the access course, and odds are good if u get an interview anyways. they take about 20% matures/grads i believe.
    afew people got places at kings.
    yea UEA make offers to about 50% of people, though mostly if people got offers elsewhere they went elsewhere haha. dont know anyone who applied to edinburgh, its so competitive id of liked to but didnt think id have a chance. leicester make quite a few offers-are v pro COWA. newcastle made a good few and HYMS. in our yr noone got an interview at Leeds, they all heard nothing until end of the cycle and were all outright rejected so i wouldnt apply to them!

#7 elz, May 2, 2008
    Last edited: May 2, 2008
  8. yellowjellybabyal

yellowjellybabyal New Member

I'm a psychology graduate myself (just finished) and i got into COWA (had my interview in april). basically I realised I had the same problem - if you have limited experience before COWA, i believe thats all you can put down in your UCAS, unless you work REALLY hard over summer in a relevant post. So basically I asked to defer (they were really nice about it) and got myself a job as a healthcare assistant for the year. Not only will it give me much-needed money (houses at COWA are £70-100 a week for 40weeks, so not cheap) but it means i will be feeling more confident come UCAS time in the first week or so at COWA, knowing I have that extra experience, and the edge over kids fresh out of college. Plus, the course is intensive from what I've heard, so that rules out any work of any sort over the access year if you want the best results. I'm also planning to join St Johns Ambulance this summer as a bit of added experience. I'd say get as much experience as you can before september, or defer.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

#8 yellowjellybabyal, May 18, 2008
    Last edited: May 18, 2008
  9. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

tbf, a would wager very few COWAs would apply to oxbridge or the ivy league/elitist unis....simply becos they would be more interested in the courses that further their medical careers more ie. the new ones, or the ones that integrated their courses furst (scots and the big four med skools in england are good examples.)

10. elz

elz New Member

yellowjellybaby hav u tried applying with just ur degree? coz u could always try that for nxt yr and then if u dont get in, u havnt lost anything and go to cowa?
    what ur doing sounds v sensible though.

11. Michael

Michael New Member

Elite Medical Schools!!!!! can't believe someone would post that. Why is UEA not an elite medical school? if fact why isn't any medical school an elite.

If you want to go to a medical school with the earliest patient contact, free transportation to all clinical placements and with the recognised hardest working students of *any* degree course in the UK then that is UEA. We share some of our GP practices with an 'elite' medical school (Cambridge) and the GPs there feedback that on a year on year comparison our clinical knowledge and ability are WAY ahead of our counterparts. So I would advise you don't bother coming to UEA as we are apparently non-elitist and therefore not good enough for the likes of an application from you. Aberdeen - elite, lol :D

#11 Michael, May 19, 2008
    Last edited: May 19, 2008
  12. elz

elz New Member

um excuse me aberdeen was no. 3 in the league tables for best medical school this yr, above all the london ones, only below cambridge and oxford.
    so dont start slagging off other med schools when u dont like people slagging off ur own. i never said uea wasnt elite did i? what a hypocrite.
    where was uea? im asking coz i dont know.
    personally i think all med schools are good and to get into any is brilliant.

13. agneishd

agneishd New Member

well i guess you can't class any med skl as elite at the end of the day

rankings also vary between who does them, and being high in the rankings doesn't necessarily mean that the skl is elite - some may just have more funding per person/staff to pupils etc.

14. elz

elz New Member

no u cant go just by ranking, clearly they arent everything, but they indicate student satisfaction, staff/student ratio as u say, teaching quality and other factors, and im sure schools placed bottom are at the bottom for a reason and vice versa.

15. agneishd

agneishd New Member

ah but different rankings look at different criteria, and give differnernt criteria varied importance too

i'm sure at the end of the day, there ain't much difference between med skls in terms of teaching quality - as in there won't be some significantly better than others

16. Michael

Michael New Member

lol the new schools don't show on the rankings because they have not been established for long enough, UEA only had its first graduating class last year. The rankings cover far more than just teaching; oxford/cambridge attract a lot of financial support for research for example. Generally research is outwith the student remit (apart from UEA where you must undertake a fully research and publishable project) and thereby something you won't ever do influences the total score, so thereby it is not truly reflective of the student experience, teaching capability or indeed quality of the doctor produced which at the end of the day should be the benchmark.

17. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

you can definitely class some as elitist though.

i also fink you can class some students as elite, and some staff as elite.
    this year i am going to trying to be an elite student (somefing quite new for me hehe), but i can easily see that this will make me less elite as a staff member (er not that i was elite afore, i mean 'more away from elite than afore', if you get me)

there isnt necessarily any overlap between these categories.

as for uea and aberdeen, i would gladly drop out of ucl or imperial for a place at these two med skools.

#17 Gizmo says -, May 19, 2008
    Last edited: May 19, 2008
  18. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

well the biggest determinant of ranking is, specifically, whose looking at the ranking. and what they want to see.

19. agneishd

agneishd New Member

again, you miss out imperial :)

20. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

an example below VVVV