1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leicester GEP 2012 entry

Discussion in 'Leicester Medical School' started by rennstimpy, Nov 26, 2011.

1. rennstimpy

rennstimpy New Member

Hi guys - anyone heard anything more from Leicester other than acknowledgement email? I got an email a while ago asking me to email a transcript of my degree through so they could score my application properly - but nothing else. Anyone heard?

2. greggle

greggle New Member

Still nothing here either... I didn't get asked for a degree transcript... Do you think this could be because I'm due my third outright rejection...? :(

3. rennstimpy

rennstimpy New Member

I'm sure this is not the case - I did a degree that was not classified (ie 1st, 2i) so they probably asked me so they could compare my results fairly to other applicants and score me properly according to their little scory system thingy...I'm sorry to hear about your bad luck Greggle - however Cambers and Kings are (I imagine) notorious for being hard ones, no? I hope you have success to come - its hard I guess but try not to be too disheartened - I bet there's loads out there in an even worse position (sure that doesnt make you feel better though) :-( Best of luck anyhow

4. greggle

greggle New Member

Yeah, Cambs and Kings are both small courses. But given I work at Guy's and Tommies I was kinda hoping that Kings would at least interview me! But its not the end of the world. I think my A Levels probably let me down. :/

5. rennstimpy

rennstimpy New Member

That's a shame Greggle - I'm sure the others will be more forgiving. I'm sure I'll get blasted by Leicester for my stinky UKCAT so dont worry!

6. rachyroo

rachyroo New Member

Congratulations on your inteviews renstimpy :)
    I've not heard anything since the acknowledgement either... Their website says invites to interview will be sent late dec/early jan so I'm guessing rejections would come after that once everyone has responded to interview invitations?

Greggle I haven't been asked for a transcript either - I'm sure it doesn't mean a rejection, just that they have all the info they need to score us.

I'm pinning most of my hopes on Leicester so the wait is killing me!! What does everyone else have on their scoring system? I have 22/30, fingers crossed this will be enough for them to look at my PS. At the open day the admissions lady said that nearly 50% of the applications were rejected without interview because they didn't meet the work exp. requirements, which makes the odds look much better for those of us who do :)

7. rennstimpy

rennstimpy New Member

yeah, I was really worried re: Leicester rejecting me outright because of my work experience - I mean I've done alot - but I don't work with patients (that are human!) in my day job - so I guess the fact they asked me for furtehr details of my degree at least shows they are considering my application...! Leicester is (probably) my first choice - although I'm going to postpone judgment until I have looked round any places that I interview at - why you pinning all your hopes on Leicester Rachyroo?

8. starx

starx New Member

What kind of work experience do people applying to Leicester GEP have?

Ive got two years paid exp working in a hospital with patients, however no voluntary work recently which Im hoping won't go against me too much in my other uni app's.

Eeek the waiting is painful, I just want to know now !!

9. rachyroo

rachyroo New Member

Its my first choice too - I really loved the sound of the course on the open day and that everyone on the course will have some kind of work experience to bring to it. I've nothing against grads coming straight out of uni but like the idea of being with people who've been working before. Plus my ukcat is risky for warwick/barts and seems to be luck of the draw with soton applications so realistically its probably the only one of my choices I have a shot at!

10. rachyroo

rachyroo New Member

I don't think it won't count against you to not have voluntary exp. if you have 2 years paid in a hospital, that sounds plenty. I have 2 yrs paid as a speech theapist, but as I work with kids for my day job I've started some voluntary at a hospice to get a bit more adult experience. I really hope we hear before christmas!

11. greggle

greggle New Member

My hopes are riding on Leicester now really... I panicked that I wasn't going to get in anywhere and so applied to Grad courses in the RoI yesterday... :s

12. chimichanga

chimichanga New Member

Hey guys,

Another Leicester applicant here! I've only had an acknowledgment so far....
    I'm kind of worried about my work experience. I been working part time permanently on a ward since march as a HCA and I've been doing bank shifts to make up the Full time hours that leicester require. I'm just wondering what sort of proof they require? My ward is happy to give a letter of proof etc and I can use my pay slips too I guess from there. My bank shifts are a problem though...they're random firstly and whatever I earn each week just goes into my bank account...I have no record of these hours that I do as I'm given nothing! Ahh its just making me panic now! :(

13. rennstimpy

rennstimpy New Member

here's hoping we hear soon!

14. tfordham88

tfordham88 New Member

OH maaaan.

For the past week or so I've been in an email war with the admissions people at Leicester... First they asked for a reference from my current manager and a job description detailing how much patient/service user contact I get (my job role and title is a bit ambiguous so I imagine they just wanted to check what I actually do).

HOWEVER. As I got the email from them I was in the process of changing my jobs (looooong story) and now I work as a HCA for circle partnership... So when I told them this they said it was fine and they would ask for a reference from them at a later date.

TODAY they emailed me to clarify why I had attached a job description for a HCA along with my current job description...

Complete cross-communication going on I think. Really hope it doesn't jeopardise my application...

15. starx

starx New Member

Im sure If you e-mail Leicester GEP office explaining the situation you will be fine.

Are you only working since march 2011, does it have to be 12 months paid work exp at the time of application in Oct ?

Is there a bank HCA manager who allocates you to specific wards?
    Im sure they would have some kind of record of where you have worked.

You could keep a diary of dates and wards you've worked on. In the event of them needing proof you could go individually to each ward and get letters, this would obv be the worst case scenario but it would be some kind of record. You could even make it a reflective diary or something, what you've learned e.t.c , med schools love that kind of thing, practice for when your a future doctor!

16. rennstimpy

rennstimpy New Member

They were being tres annoying with me too re: the fact my degree isnt classified - saying I'm not eligible to apply - so I had to start sending them transcripts then I got an email from the tutor saying dont worry its a misunderstanding - then another email asking me (again) to send further details of my degree! Very tiresome and concerning re: the retardedness

17. starx

starx New Member

On TSR today apparently a load of interview dates got sent out right up until march.

Im hoping these are all 5yr applicants, Have any GEP's heard anything yet?

18. rennstimpy

rennstimpy New Member

me too! Not ehard anything - and nothing on track yet!

19. scottydoc

scottydoc New Member

The dates for GEP interviews are week beginning 30 January. I had a quick look and none of the interviews given are for that week, so it looks like those interviews are for the baby undergrads.

20. rennstimpy

rennstimpy New Member