Kings A100 Graduates 2012

Discussion in 'Guy’s King’s and St Thomas’ (GKT) School of Medici' started by nata1ie, Feb 27, 2012.

1. nata1ie

nata1ie New Member

Hello

I thought I'd start a thread for any graduates with offers and thinking of going to Kings this September.

Anyone been on an open day or have any useful bits of info that might be of use to all us grads on the 5-yr course out there? ie; about the course, any extra funding (although I heard from the finance office that we aren't eligible for the King's myBursary or any of their other bursaries)...

I think I'll have to try and work a little part-time to fund my living costs while studying - does anyone have an idea of what the first year timetable is like? I would like to see where I can fit in work and am hoping to stay at my current job if I can. I haven't yet been to an open day but should be going to the one for offer holders in April. Hopefully see some of you then!

2. Hannes

Hannes New Member

the first and second year time tables are pretty 9-5 but holding down a job won't be a problem if you keep up with the work from the course. I can't remember if you get a SSM day (the day where you are meant to work on your special study module) but I'm pretty sure you get Tuesdays off for that though you might have an ssm that requires teaching every Tuesday. You have most if not all Wednesday afternoons off. Send me a pm with your email and I can send you a time table that I pull from the passworded area.

3rd and 4th year working gets increasingly difficult and in final year you'd have to try very hard to keep down a job without thinking of shooting yourself.

3. GradApplicant2011

GradApplicant2011 New Member

Hello,

I'm a graduate with an offer from Kings A100. Yet to hear from my other three choices, but I'll likely go with Kings.

I haven't been to an open day but may well go to the one in April.

Are you living at home Nata1ie? I'll be coming from Jersey and have no clue what I'll be doing for accommodation yet. For anyone at Kings now, is there any graduate accommodation for mature students? It's either that or getting something in the private sector I guess, which is guaranteed to be extortionate in London.

4. nata1ie

nata1ie New Member

Thank you Hannes, I've PMd you :)
    GradApplicant2011, yeah I am going to wait to hear from Barts, just out of interest but I'm 99% definitely going to Kings. I'm lucky in that I can get a train up to London Bridge in 30 mins so I won't have to move anywhere. I don't know anything about student accommodation for us grads. If you look for somewhere to rent privately, I personally wouldn't be looking for somewhere round the corner from campus, I'd look at places along the Northern Line or some of the overground train lines, which stops at London Bridge where I believe most teaching occurs. Probably look at zones 3/4 which will be around 30mins or less away (on the south london side, zones 3/4 from north/west would probably take longer). http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/london-rail-and-tube-services-map.pdf

5. Hannes

Hannes New Member

There is or at least was a house for postgrads and mature students up in hampstead. It was a bit smaller and a lot quieter.

Living in central london is expensive but if you're happy travelling a bit further it can get a fair bit cheaper than extortionate, maybe even down to normal expensive :)

6. Kaiser Wilhelm

Kaiser Wilhelm New Member

Hey guys,

I've accepted a place on Kings A100 for September. GradApplicant2011- In terms of finding the right place to rent in London, this map gives you an idea of what to expect in rental prices for different areas of the city. London Rents Map | Search results

Basically South and East will give you a better deal than North and West and as a rule the further out you go the cheaper the rent, though the more you spend in travel costs and time sitting on commuter trains/busses. Its worth applying for accomodation if you're not from London! Though make sure this is a better deal than you'd get privately as you can still end up paying loads for just one room in halls.

7. GradApplicant2011

Hello All,

Is anybody able to clarify that majority of our time will be spent at the Guys Campus (London Bridge), in the first year? I am hunting for accommodation and am trying to work out where we will be commuting to most days.

Thanks a lot.

8. GradApplicant2011

Hello All,

Is anybody able to clarify that majority of our time will be spent at the Guys Campus (London Bridge), in the first year? I am hunting for accommodation and am trying to work out where we will be commuting to most days.

Thanks a lot.

9. nata1ie

nata1ie New Member

Hi

Yes pretty sure we're mostly at Guys campus and I think I heard or read somewhere that we might sometimes go to Denmark Hill campus and obviously wherever we get sent for placements like shadowing GPs etc.

10. Hannes

Hannes New Member

you spend 98% of the time at guy's AKA london bridge. GP shadowing, interprofessional education etc is a probably ten days in total during the first two years. The first bit of Old Kent Road is a very popular place to live as it takes you to guy's, tommies and king's in less than half an hour. GP placements may have a kent or surrey postcode but that will be a few days each year so nothing to worry about really. It is in third year you need to start thinking about how long it takes you to the hospitals as King's has the most utterly atrocious admin department in existence and can quite happily tell you two weeks before your placement starts that you drew the short straw and got Margate. If it is easy to get to london bridge you will be fine wherever you live for the coming few years as it is only the odd hospital that isn't on the trains from london bridge

11. nata1ie

nata1ie New Member

Hannes - I was wondering, do you get to put in a preference or request to be considered for particular hospitals when it comes to placement years? Just because one in Orpington is not a far drive for me and I thought as it is out of London, it might not be a popular choice for many living more centrally, whereas I'd maybe quite like to go there.

12. Hannes

Hannes New Member

If they don't change anything it isn't until 5th year you get any kind of preference where you end up and you may well end up pretty much all over south east England apart from Brighton. I ended up in Poole for one 3 week attachment and loads of people go to margate, pretty big spread.

Btw, have you ever been to Orpington "hospital"? Its not exactly a big teaching hospital if you know what I mean and I'm not completely convinced I'd want to spend 12 weeks there. Princess Royal Farnborough is not too far from it nor is Mayday or whatever they call it these days.

13. nata1ie

nata1ie New Member

Oh really, damn! Ah well.

Yeah I mean Princess Royal one, I've been there a few times, it's quite a big hospital.

14. Hannes

Hannes New Member

Princess royal is a nice hospital, I spent my last rotation (ever) there and enjoyed it. Nice hospital with friendly consultants

15. nata1ie

nata1ie New Member

Ah that's nice then, if I end up there, though I've got a long way to go before that!

Sorry to bug with questions but can you remember any books that were worth buying in your first year?

16. Hannes

Hannes New Member

Vander's physiology, Moore and Agur Essential Clinical anatomy, Wheather's histology and a free copy of oxford medical dictionary (from MDU, I got a copy for joining the medical defense union for free, a requirement to join and they tend to be there the first day).

Second year you need the Crossman and Neary Neuroanatomy as well. Baby Kumar and Clark clinical medicine is handy as is the Oxford handbook of medicine and oxford handbook of specialities though the latter two assumes you know the stuff fairly well when you read them.

Don't get Gray's anatomy for students or the big Kumar and Clark as they will no doubt spend most if not all their time as door stops. Pastest.com do lots of nice MCQs for clinical years but mainly finals.

Easy guide to OSCEs is pretty essential from 2nd year exams onwards as there is simply no way you know what to do otherwise in the practical exams. For finals (I know ages still) and clinical years to a lesser extent a good book in surgery is handy. I won a copy of Surgeon's survival guide to the foundation years which is very good and easy to understand. Spend ten minutes reading that before going into theatres and the surgeon will love you and then grill you some more.

17. nata1ie

nata1ie New Member

Oh wow, super helpful, thank you :D
    I'll check those out and stick some of them on my birthday list I think!
    Roll on September, I can't wait.

18. House Jr.

House Jr. New Member

Rang and Dale's pharmacology was pretty useful, as well as respiratory system and cardiovascular system at a glance for phase 2 since they're written by your lecturers and follow the course quite well. I personally bought Gray's Anatomy for students and it wasn't too bad of an investment, the diagrams in there were very useful. Vanders and Wheaters was useful from time to time but less so than the other books I've mentioned, they give you an anatomy booklet and lecture notes at the start which is sufficient to get you through although the diagrams in the booklet aren't great. Overall, I'd say there's no point in buying books for first year, I know that starting med school is exciting and you want to feel like you're prepared but the library will have all the books you need even if you end up hardly ever using them, which more likely than not will be the case.

19. nata1ie

nata1ie New Member

Thanks House Jr!
    Yes, I'm sure I should wait really and get everything from the library. I think one or two books to look over during the Summer could be useful, though.
    Seeing the King's online resources at the open day looked pretty good, like there's a lot on there to keep you going, especially if you've missed lectures.

20. Chwirkytheappleboy

Chwirkytheappleboy New Member

To contradict what Hannes said (sorry dude)... my copy of Gray's anatomy has seen some SERIOUS use... it's by a long long way the book I've used the most over the last 2 years.

Wheater's and Kumar and Clark's are helpful but probably not enough to warrant actually buying a copy as you can get free online access to them with your King's account (same goes for Gray's and Crossman and Neary, but they're so useful I recommend having a paper copy)