Is this UKCAT score good enough

Discussion in 'Leicester Medical School' started by dan87, Sep 25, 2012.

1. dan87

dan87 New Member

I am applying for the GEP and didn't do well on the UKCAT
    VR-650
    QR-700
    AR-520
    DE-660
    Does anyone have any ideas of whether I could still obtain an interview with this score.
    My work is exp is a year and a half full time as a Nurse Assistant and have shadowed in medical and surgical wards.
    Many thanks

2. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

I can't think of many of many UKCAT uni's who would go for that score. I know S'ton use UKCAT, but not as a primary focus. They accepted UKCAT scores above 625 last year, I believe.

What's your degree and class? What are your A-Levels? That will also effect the choices.

3. suff86

suff86 New Member

http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/ms...ine/documents/applicationscoringA101_2013.pdf

'Candidates achieving a UKCAT total of less than 2,100 will not be excluded, but will generate a score of
    zero for this section'

You would score 5/10 on the ukcat section. For work experience I was told they count it before the course start date not time of application, so on that section you would score 3/5 instead of 2/5 for 18 months work exp. I guess they trust you that you will carry on in a caring role after date of application and interview. The shadowing would help in getting an interview (providing you show how you have learned form it) only after they have assessed your academic achievement and experience out of 30.

4. noodle22

noodle22 New Member

I got an interview last year with an average of 624 so i'd say go for it if you like the look of leicester! If you look at there scoring system on the website the ukcat is just one of many factors they score you on to determine whether you are invited to interview so if you have good GCSEs, A-Levels and Degree and good work experience you still stand a good chance of an interview. Just be aware that you have to perform really well at interview as your overall application score will probably be lower than others.

5. mel1407

mel1407 New Member

Been looking at the Leicester GEM website and says its scored out of 30 based on ukcat, work experience, degree, a levels and gcses. I think i would score approx 21/30 (my a levels let me down). Anyone know what the cut off point for interviews is at leicester?

Thanx

Melanie

6. Lexi17

Lexi17 New Member

My UKCAT score is pretty similar to Dan87's but I have a lot less experience. I'd also be interested in finding out what the cut off point for interviews is at Leicester.
    Also, the document explaining their scoring gives applicants more points depending on whether the 1st degree was a science based subject or if the applicant has a science background.
    Can anyone explain this a little further, for example would an applicant be seen to have a science background if they have taken further study in sciences e.g MSc or does it only take into account A levels and Degree?
    I've got a feeling I may not be successful this year, but I'm going to give it a shot :)

Many thanks

Lexi

7. mel1407

mel1407 New Member

I dont know but from what I understood I think if you have some background academic study of science you should make the higher scores, regardless of whether a levels, degree or masters. Although may depend how much science / how related the MSc was?
    Just guessing though. Really keen to know an approximate cut off out of 30 though for leicester

8. suff86

suff86 New Member

I asked the admissions office about the cutoff points from previous years, they replied saying they couldn't give a cutoff point required for interviews as it depends on the applications they receive that year. Whether they misunderstood my question or were reluctant to disclose the cutoff from previous years, I'm not sure. From the GEP thread there is mention of someone getting an interview with a score of 17/30.

Also remember the decision to interview isn't based solely on that original score out of 30, it based on that score out of 30 combined with score out of ten for 'Personal Statement & Reference (personal qualities)', providing that original score is good enough. So I imagine you have to have a reasonable initial score so that your statement is considered, but a very good statement could make up for a mediocre initial score in getting an interview.

9. mel1407

mel1407 New Member

Thanx for that suff86. They do seem reluctant to let people know previous cut-offs, plus also there scoring system has changed anyway. I guess il just take the risk and apply to them. My GCSES and degree are fine, a levels really drag it down but have worked in healthcare for approx 6 yrs so hopefully should get good score for that. Can only apply and wait and see what happens