Is medicine the career for me?

Discussion in 'Current Medical Students' started by PuzzledMedic, Nov 18, 2014.

1. PuzzledMedic

PuzzledMedic New Member

Hey everyone

I was planning to study medicine, but didn't get in. So I went onto a computer science course, however, I dropped out as I disliked the course and the maths too.I am now on a gap year and unsure whether medicine is the right course for me and whether I should re-apply.

Pros:

I enjoy biology in general, and to some extent interested in body anatomy
    I am better in biology than in maths
    I like to say I am a medical student

Cons :

Medicine course is 5 years, which I feel is long, and in addition to that there are training years.
    I at times feel squeamish (I noticed this in biology dissection lessons in High School).
    I suffer from stress and headaches.

Assuming the above information, I would like to ask you guys here, what course/degree you would advise me to do, as I am completely stranded not knowing what to do next,

Thanks

2. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

Hmm.

From you list up there I cant see why you want medicine other that to say you're a medical student. Which isn't a good reason.

What is it about medicine, which makes it *your* vocation?

3. MRJjohnson

MRJjohnson New Member

Doing medicine just to call yourself a medical student isn't really a valid reason! You have to enjoy the biology of it all which you say you do so good there. Medicine is 5 years, for some people its 6, if you can't hack the years then you won't be able to hack the job. As far as I am concerned, your university years are the best of you life, especially as a medical student as you get to see and do so much (without the liability), I see it as a positive :D Squeamishness is normal as an undergraduate, you get bored of it eventually, as per stress, as long as you are able to find ways to combat them they aren't a problem.

Problem for me is that you have missed the big reasons why people study medicine! Desire to help patients, make people better, be part of a team that makes decisions that improve lives and that is just one very small aspect of it. Medicine is a social art applied through a science filter, if you don't see medicine as being that, then it probably isn't for you.

4. PuzzledMedic

PuzzledMedic New Member

I saw some videos of interns in their foundation year, and I felt kind of sick to be honest. I am just worried about feeling weird/squeamish or uncomfortable. The surgery parts make me feel like this. Before I thought I could just become a GP without all the blood and gorey stuff. Please advise me, as this can make a big difference.

Also I have learnt from others that a career in medicine makes your life a misery - not much sleep, so much studying stresses you out, patients that are hard to deal with, long hours, having to be call, etc. Like if you go into another career like computer science that is 3-4 years to complete, you can go to a wide range of jobs, even if u didnt like the course. But medicine on the other hand is very limited and takes 10+ years.

Thanks for the help

5. MRJjohnson

MRJjohnson New Member

Only you know how squeamish you are and if you will be able to cope. You will have to do some sort of surgery at some point in your degree as you end up as a Bachelor of Surgery as much as Bachelor of Medicine. You can't just focus on being a GP through your medical training and do nothing else, to be a good doctor you have to understand the profession and see what all doctors do, even if you don't want to do the speciality yourself.

A career in medicine is tough but incredibly rewarding and you have to see past the difficulties and stresses it puts on your life. If things like long hours and on call worry you then it doesn't sound like you are cut out for the job as it is very much a part of it. The on call, long hours and hard work shouldn't be something you fear, but something you are excited by, something you want to do.

Medicine is very broad, but it is and will always be all about people and disease processes, doctors work in everything from public health, law and education, I would say it is probably one of the broadest vocational career choices available. You seem to be rather negative in your approach, if you're not willing to work hard and sacrifice certain things then I wouldn't recommend medicine to you.

6. PuzzledMedic

PuzzledMedic New Member

Thanks for the reply

I am unsure what other degree to study. I have an interest in the medical field, but my communication skills aren't great and not great with patients. My general health isn't great too. Do you know any other courses that I should enrol on for next year?

Thanks

7. MRJjohnson

MRJjohnson New Member

Depends what you are interested in, I did a biomedical science degree prior to studying medicine. Biomedical science has basically no patient contact, job is relatively stress free providing you are happy with doing some monotonous work. The degree also gives research scope, which can be medical albeit molecular.
    Maybe do your degree in computing and then move towards ICT on the NHS.

Either way you are probably best speaking to a proper career advisor who can work out what you have interest in and what would suit your health and general character.

8. J.Creswell

J.Creswell New Member

Hey,
    I think, choosing such career as a doctor or nurse, for example, is the decision that must be done somewhere in school. What I mean, friends of mine who became doctors (and I myself) were dreaming to become a doctor from young ages. You need to be truly concerned in your choice as the speciality is very important and responsible. You need to love your job with all of your heart, because the work will be hard, but, if you like it, very interesting and fascinating. So, just try to understand whether you are ready to dedicate all of your life helping people or it is not your cup of tea.

9. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

The trouble is that at school you don't understand what the job entails, let alone have a proper understanding of adult life. So the decision is usually based off a fantasy of what medicine is about. It can still work for some, but others will find themselves feeling trapped in a career, that isn't for them and not what they wanted.

10. J.Creswell

J.Creswell New Member

I agree with you, but I think there is no such a career which would meet our childhood requirements. When we become older, nearly all our dreams from the past crash upon the reality. But, my thought is that you need to feel your strong parts and weaknesses and make the decision upon them. Such choice can be very crucial, as it will be very hard in future (for example in 35-40 years) to try to change your occupation.

11. RugileRar

RugileRar New Member

I was thinking exactly the same when I got rejected from Cambridge. Twice. For BioNatSci. Applied to too good colleges, wasn't native in English, maybe not fluent enough. Now I study medicine in my own country and I can't stand it because I'm dying how much I want to do research. I'm other way round but I understand your issue... I like to think that everything will be good in the future but I really doubt about it currently

12. Texila

Texila New Member

Hi,

It is quite too late to answer to this question. There are chances that you have taken up the program or not. But in case you have not then. Here is your call. If you have passion for taking care of people and love for science. I think you should go in for medicine.