1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it true that there are dissection opportunities organised by the surgical society?

Discussion in 'Peninsula Medical School' started by radioblob, Apr 2, 2011.

1. radioblob

radioblob New Member

2. The Fantastic Dr. Fox

I wish I could claim that was true. But I cant.

3. Ryan118120

Ryan118120 New Member

Yes they do.
    There's a surgeon attached to peninsula in Truro who will teach dissection. Also you can go to Bristol in the summer to do dissection.
    Also the surgical society arranges a lot of extra lectures and stuff ... they seem to be very active.

4. The Fantastic Dr. Fox

There is a pathologist in truro that will let you watch post mortems. They are organised by the students themselves, not by the society.

5. Yixian

Yixian New Member

We talking about Rob Marshall? Yeah, he takes groups of students I believe, not sure how much hands on they actually get though.

That said I do agree that dissection doesn't seem hugely useful. Maybe if it helps some people memorise anatomy but I have done dissections at Nottingham and obviously seen a lot of surgery and a cadaver is just nothing like a living human body at all.

6. Ryan118120

Ryan118120 New Member

Oh that's good to know!!!

7. Ryan118120

Ryan118120 New Member

How come you have done dissection at Nottingham??

8. Yixian

Yixian New Member

My dad is a lecturer there, he hooked me up.

9. Ryan118120

Ryan118120 New Member

Oh awesome, using connexions!
    So you don't actually think it's any more useful then?

10. Yixian

Yixian New Member

Yeah not really, I really didn't learn a lot from it, if you are die hard surgeon and can only learn visually but keep in mind that a cadaver is very different from a living body then perhaps it will help you memorise your anatomy but that's it really.

It is incredibly expensive to run a dissection service and so Peninsula never bothered to set one up, in fact Nottingham are considering dropping theirs.

11. RoxieP

RoxieP New Member

I have to say I never found the dissection sessions at Manchester that useful. Easiest way to actually learn anatomy for me was with diagrams and models etc. ACutting a cadaver is just like a dried up piece of meat (without meaning to be macabre) tbh! I never really saw how it would resemble performing real surgery, but I suppose it gets you head round where things are - though models and diagrams do that to some degree...

12. Rake

Rake New Member

The surgical society doesn't organise dissection. We are trying to get a foot in the door with the pathologists in Plymouth so that people can attend autopsies so watch this space.

In Exeter and Truro, students tend to ring up on their own initiative and the pathology departments are happy for them to come along. I think it's a pretty small minority who actually do, but those who've done it got a lot out of it (kind of a self-selecting sample though.)

As for dissection on the course, nobody has experience of more than one medical degree, so it's pretty difficult to try to draw comparisons. Personally, I think my anatomy knowledge has suffered far more from my own failure to crack a textbook than from not having done dissection. I've found watching surgery useful for consolidating my anatomy and you'll get plenty of opportunities to do that in the clinical years.

13. saunders0104

saunders0104 New Member

I've spent a day down with Dr Marshall before, with him doing an autopsy. We all got to do hands on stuff. We each were given an organ to dissect (supervised) and we all worked together to determine a cause of death. Highly recommend it, though not for the faint hearted.