Interviewed graduates - what academic grades do you really need?

Discussion in 'Cardiff Medical School' started by Hannah79, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Hannah79

Hannah79 New Member

Hi

According to Cardiff admissions policy, candidates are selected initially purely on academic achievement. It goes on to say that the average school leaver selected for interview has 5A*s at GCSE and AAB at A2. Frustratingly, there is no corresponding advice for graduates!

If anyone has any experience of being offered an interview (or not), I would really appreciate any advice on what degree classification/ A level / GCSE grades you have.

Thanks!

2. starsky

starsky New Member

I called admissions today and the admission's assistant i spoke to said that as long as candidates meet the minimum entry requirements (as specified on the med school's website) they can be sure to proceed to the second stage of application screening, where selectors read the reference and ps and then decide who to interview. I did email cardiff to ask them to shed some more light on any potential 'unofficial' entry requirements but they just sent me a load of hyperlinks to there website which was not entirely helpful. I may be breaking that golden rule on relying on spoken word, but im afraid that i am going to have to in this case.

3. starsky

starsky New Member

It would be helpful if any graduate applicants from the past who received offers from cardiff could tell us about their academic credentials.

4. Mamba

Mamba Member

Cardiff really do work on a basis of... if they like you, they make you an offer...

Check the minimum req, if you have them.... apply. If you get to interview, that means they like your application, they are just checking you over in person.

Remember it isn't just academic, work experience and evidence of a real interest in medicine etc is logically considered in every medical school.

5. Snowflake

Snowflake New Member

Hey guys! I went to one of Cardiff's open days last time and the admissions tutor basically implied: the BBB at A-level and 2.1 are essentially the minimum requirements. They'll still consider your GCSEs, but it's just that if you've already got your A-levels and degrees, your acheived grades will contribute to your academic points alongside your GCSEs thus boosting it.

He gave some sort of example like:
    7A*s + 2As = 25/27
    2A*s and 7As at GCSE = 20/27, but + A*AA + degree (1st) pulls you to 25/27 or something, and making their cut-off.

Of course their cut-off will vary slightly each year but I think 23-5 is a safe bet. =]

Oh yeah, they also don't take into account your referee's report as much as other medical schools also as they're more interested in you as an applicant (rather than what "glimmering words of praise" most of our referees will be writing!).

Hope this helps! =]

EDIT:
    I'm a graduate who's got an offer btw (pheeww!).
    As for grades, luckily my GCSEs already met their academic requirements so my application didn't have to go through the craziness then!

Btw, I'm not sure if this'd be useful but don't put too much emphasis on the interviewing scoring sheet they have - it seems to me that they're really looking for certain qualities, traits and personalities more than what's stated on that interview sheet - I'm not implying I was their ideal candidate or something, but I'm pretty sure I didn't tick quite a chunk of those criteria (e.g. excellent communication skills - I waffled, stuttered, went silent for like a min somewhere and kept repeating myself) and I got in!

#5 Snowflake, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013
  6. impatient

impatient New Member

Mamba's right see his comments. Although i'll add, even if you are a bit shy of the minimum requirements apply anyway. You can send in a separate bio the admin office and ask if it can be considered as well.