Intercalated BSc

Discussion in 'Imperial College School of Medicine' started by becca230289, Nov 14, 2008.

1. becca230289

becca230289 New Member

Does any know anything about or have any opinion on the iBScs offered at Imperial? I'm considering applying for Neuroscience and Mental Health and wondered what people thought of the course? Also - how competitive is entry for external students, and what are your chances of getting a project (and if you don't get a project are you likely to get your first choice of the "other" modules like history of medicine)?

2. boincview

boincview New Member

ive heard that the neuro bsc is very difficult, 9 to 5 most days and lots of travelling as lectures are at all of the main hospitals. compare this to immuno/gastro which have 3-4 days a week geerally 9-12 or something less hard. however, if you really want to do it then go for it. on the other hand, you dont get any choice for taught modules for all the imperial bscs. why don't you want to do the ucl one? my friends doing it like it a lot

project-wise, i think everyone can get a lab, but clinical projects are rare. also you'll be competing with biomeds for entry in 09, but neuro is not that popular (because of its rumoured difficulty) which may make it easier to get in...

3. SurgSoc

SurgSoc New Member

Generally speaking, entry for external students into the Intercalated BSc regardless of the course will be very competitive depending on how popular an option it is with Imperial medical students.

All students are guaranteed a project (changed from last year), though people still choose to take Global & Environmental Health (epidemiology), Medical Humanities (arts & humanities) or History of Medicine instead of a project.

Neuro is mostly based at the Charing Cross Hospital Campus which is actually in Hammersmith.

The 10 BSc options offered are:
    1. Cardiovascular sciences
    2. Endocrinology
    3. Gastroenterology & hepatology
    4. Haematology
    5. Immunity & infection
    6. Management
    7. Neuroscience & mental health
    8. Reproductive & developmental sciences
    9. Respiratory science
    10. Surgery & anaesthesia

There is no statistically signifiant correlation between the choice of BSc and the number of 1sts awarded.

4. Fawaz

Fawaz Member

How competative is Reproductive and Developmental Sciences? If your an external applicant do you apply when you're in 2nd year or after you've finished 2nd year (i.e. 3rd year)? If my academic marks for first year arn't the best, do I stand a chance?

5. Abs_m

Abs_m New Member

If you are considering coming to imperial for a BSc, just go for it! You have all to gain and not much to lose. Repro is made up of about 30 students: 28 girls, 2 boys! If you are interested in applying the first step I would take is to email the course supervisor. This can be found on the Imperial Medicine Website.

Best of Luck

6. Philosoraptor

Philosoraptor New Member

Anyone know anything about the Surgery and anaesthesia - seems really interesting?
    Anyone ?

7. Alysha

Alysha New Member

Anyone got any advice for someone wanting to study the Management BSc at Imperial? I'm just sitting down to work on my personal statement - but was hoping i could get a clearer picture of what they're looking for? Anyone who's done the BSc? What are the reasons you guys put for it?

Also thinking about putting Surgery and Anaesthesia as my second choice. Mostly because I'm actually interested in doing anaesthesia in my future career.

8. Alysha

Alysha New Member

Ah, I see, this is what else we have in common. Haha, good to see you around. But again, not my top choice. So, if we both get what we want, unfortunately, we won't be seeing each other.

Nonetheless, best of luck with your app, i'll be going for the Management if I can!

9. kelfo

kelfo New Member

wow old thread still went to notifications in my email.

it's mainly about healthcare management, there is nothing clinical but it's all relevant to medicine. it's only for medics though, dates wise you start in october and end in june which is different to the other BScs which have exams in feburary. the workload is similar to the other BScs (some were easy a few years ago but now all of them are hard). there is a group project which counts to your marks.

10. Alysha

Alysha New Member

Having completed my BSc a year and a bit ago... (yay, I got in!), I loved it.

Yeah, I agree with Kelfo (also, just got notification in my email!:p). Its all management, nothing clinical really (depends on your project to be honest).
    The course is kind of split between stuff that is directly related to healthcare, and the stuff that is mostly 'business/management' and obviously relevant and can be applied to healthcare, but is not taught in that manner.

The healthcare management module and health economics are directly related, and then there was some 'research' module i've forgotten the name of that was too. The other modules (marketing, business strategy, project management, accounting, etc) are not so much.

Its all incredibly interesting, the start is, in many ways, just about teaching you to think in a different way. We're all medics / scientists, and it takes a while to put your 'business cap' on.

The work load is 'OK', can't compare it to other BScs, but can compare it to medical school. At least for me, I found that I've not done so much work since high school/college/ whatever. Its not hard work, just a lot, all the time... projects, presentations, essays, etc. and then a big exam in the end. And a lot of group work, with the exception of final exams, all assignments were done in groups of 3+.

Medical school on the other hand, at GKT anyway, is almost 'nothing nothing nothing' and then big exam at the end. I'd kind of forgotten what it was like to do work all throughout the year. And it takes a bit of time getting used to working with other people (at times that suit a group) when medical school is all on your own pretty much (and if I wanted to read at 2am, I could, obv. not feasible when 4 other people have to be there).

11. Alysha

Alysha New Member

Oh, and, it wasn't too difficult to get a 2.1 to be honest. And if you applied yourself, probably even a 1st is manageable. Depends on how much work you put in / how quick a learner you are. Unfortunately, a lot of it is group work, so, in that sense, it also depends on the team you're with.

And unlike medical school, its not all right or wrong answers, plenty of shades of grey, so its all about trying to find what your examiner wants. We didn't always agree ( and in one instance, the entire year scored very low marks on one exam, we're not sure what went wrong, maybe he didn't teach us anything right), but nothing came of it... a bit worrying to be honest.

12. sal_1000

sal_1000 New Member

HI

is anyone doing bsc business management at imperial?

I really am interested in business/health . But I heard that on the first day, they make you get in to your own groups so people are left behind to form a "reject group". is this true?

Also, i kknow there is a lot of group work, and am just concerned that idiots in the group will mess it up for everyone else

does this happen in your experience?

13. T.M.E

T.M.E New Member

I'm hoping to apply to do an external intercalation at imperial for next year to do neuroscience. I was just wondering how competitive the application process is and if there are any CV or personal statement requirements/ achievements to make my application more favourable (apart from exam results)?
    Also how driven do you have to be towards your particular Bsc field?

14. Dr Noodle

Dr Noodle New Member

Thought it best to use this thread rather than start a new one...

Have any external students who have applied for iBSc at Imperial heard anything yet?! According to the handbook we should have heard last week but still nothing, wondering if I should automatically assume rejection :/

15. Clem

Clem New Member

I know no one's written on here for a while but was wondering what people thought about the Global health BSc at Imperial, how competitive is it to get onto? And my grades from the first 2 years aren't outstanding either. If anyone has done it and has any info that would be great, thanks!