IMPERIAL GEP non-academic criteria

Discussion in 'Imperial College School of Medicine' started by ol.h46, Oct 6, 2013.

1. ol.h46

ol.h46 New Member

Hi :) I wonder if anyone has examples of what Imperial are looking for when they state you need to demonstrate:

Motivation and understanding of medicine as a career
    Community activities
    Leadership and teamwork
    General interests
    Referee’s report

Thanks!

2. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

You need to draw the examples from your own life, not other peoples.

3. jcak

jcak New Member

Motivation and understanding of medicine as a career
    This is a hard one. You really need to show that you understand the pros and cons of a medical career and still want to be a doctor. Additionally, you need to demonstrate you are motivated enough to finish the course and continue to be a successful doctor.

Community activities
    Do you hold any voluntary positions within the community; maybe helping out at Girl Guides or reading to the elderly?

Leadership and teamwork
    Captaining a sports team shows both, being a first aider can require these too.

General interests
    Your entire life can't be academic, you must be interested in something outside of work. The universities want to see you can contribute to their university more than just academically and you will also be a well rounded person.

Referee’s report
    This one can be both the easiest or the hardest. If you can get a reference easily then you have no problems at all. If you will struggle to find a referee then you will have a very hard time completing this section!

The examples I've given here are to be used as GUIDELINES and you shouldn't write these into your statement if you haven't ever done them just because I said they were the right sort of things. As Martigan says, the examples should be from YOUR life experience.

4. ol.h46

ol.h46 New Member

Thanks jcak, your reply is really helpful. I completely understand that the examples need to be relevant to me - I just wanted to find out whether I have the correct understanding of the types of things they are looking for so I don't completely waste a choice!

5. Medic28

Medic28 New Member

That's a helpful answer, also in terms of work experience does anyone know what Imperial is looking for?