Imperial GEP 2014 Applicants and Open Day

Discussion in 'Imperial College School of Medicine' started by DrDani, Mar 15, 2013.

1. DrDani

DrDani Member

I've been following this imperial thread, and I've noticed that people hardly use it. So I thought that I will start of this thread. Is there anyone applying to imperial for 2014 GEP. I'm also attending the GEP open day on the 2nd May. Is there anyone else attending?

2. kiz2312

kiz2312 New Member

Hi i will be applying for 2014 entry :) but not attending the open day unfortunately!

3. jjredmore

jjredmore New Member

Hiya - yes, I am most probably also applying for GEM2014 and Imperial would be my number 1 choice. Yes, I have registered to attend the Open Day in May. I guess it all comes down to the UKCAT, as Imperial have a strict cut off of ~640 in each of the four sections.

4. DrDani

DrDani Member

Oh good, hopefully I'll see you there. I need to start revising for this exam.

5. CZephyr

CZephyr New Member

:) I've been following threads from past years but to see one with "2014" in the title is exciting!! I can't believe it's our cycle already. I'm thinking of applying to one of Imperial/Oxford GEP. It all comes down to how I fare in the UKCAT. (Imperial's cut - off is ridiculously high. Sigh*)

6. DrDani

DrDani Member

Hey!! Finally I've found someone as excited as me!! I really want to apply to imperial but it's a bit of a gamble for me. But fingers crossed! Can't wait to start the application process!!!!

7. kiz2312

kiz2312 New Member

Oh tell me about it! 2014 in the title is so so so exciting!! Why is imperial a bit of a gamble for you DrDani? and CZeph- have youdone the UKCAT before? I really wouldn't work yourself up over it too much, I did it before with about 2 hours revision due to hvaing Swine Flu and scored really well. Just get the 600 book and make sure your mental maths (i think) is up to speed as that slowed me down a little bit x

8. kiz2312

kiz2312 New Member

Any idea what Imperials cut off was this year? And also how do you get these little word things underneath your posts? I am so terrible with computer stuff!! x

9. DrDani

DrDani Member

Hey, it's a gamble because I'm not sure if they take applicants with nursing degrees. Nope this will be my first time taking the UKCAT. A little nervous about it. But I plan to revise alot this summer.

10. DrDani

DrDani Member

Go to setting at the top of the page, then on the left hand side click edit your signature and that's what I did!

11. kiz2312

kiz2312 New Member

Have you tried contacting them about your nursing degree? Im sure they said before a biological degree, not sure wether nursing is covered under that! And thanks I will do that now ;) where would be your first choice? x

12. DrDani

DrDani Member

I called admissions and they were very vague. But I thought I'll take a gamble. I went to Warwicks open day and I loved it but its so far away from home. I don't mind if I get it, as its medicine! Barts or kings would be ideal. Imperial would be perfect!!! I guess I don't mind, Warwicks course structure in London would be perfect!

13. DrDani

DrDani Member

What about you??

14. kiz2312

kiz2312 New Member

Agh ok, its crazy that they cannot be more definate, especially with such a crucial piece of information! My first choice is Newcastle! Love the place, and themed school! Plus I would get to stay up north :) Swaying towards imperial for my fourth but then im trying to weighup the differences between there and kings. Decisions decisions. I know Kings dont ask for A-levels for the 4 year, but I have been assured by a friend who applied before that they do end up taking them into account despite stating they wont! x

15. DrDani

DrDani Member

I was thinking to try George's too but I'm not sure which one I'd swap it with, depends on how well I do with the UKCAT. I wanna stay in London but I do love warwick so I'm not sure at all

16. CZephyr

CZephyr New Member

Did anyone go to the open evening today? :) Kind of wish I didn't go - now I want to apply to imperial even more despite the nightmarish UKCAT hurdle :/

17. DrDani

DrDani Member

I went yesterday and i absolutely loved it, i wana go there too! Now i have no idea where im applying to go, i keep on changing

18. lcsurfer

lcsurfer New Member

I got into KCL grad course with D's at A level and a non science degree from Coventry Uni so it's possible to get in what ever qualifications :) Someone didn't have A levels that got in this year too

For Newcastle adn KCL its vital to get a high UKCAT, they won't even consider you with a low UKCAT, Kings and NEwcastle this year was like 730+ - Hope that's of some help for you :)

19. jcak

jcak New Member

Can someone outline for me what went on in the Imperial open day - I didn't get the chance to go seeing as exams are coming up and I'm currently studying a long way away from London. Anything I can't find from their website/prospectus other than the buildings?

20. ryujin

ryujin New Member

Does anyone know the absolute lowest ukcat score that got an interview last year (I knwo the minimum per section was 640, but that's probably not the lowest average)
    I really want to apply to imperial, but looking at the ukcats this year, might be risky!!- thinking of applying to newcastle too, but again, same problem!!

And like Jcak, i'd liek to know what happened at the open day! Any information about number of applicants per place etc.?

#20 ryujin, Jul 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2013