Imperial College 5-year GEM

Discussion in 'Imperial College School of Medicine' started by mugatu, Jul 19, 2014.

1. mugatu

mugatu New Member

Imperial have now eradicated their 4-year programme and are adding an additional research year, just wanted to know how people feel about this. I'll be honest Imperial was my favourite option for 2016 entry, but now I doubt i'll be able to afford the expense nor have the will power to do an extra year that I dont want to do. TSR has some pretty good arguments on this, but wanted to hear from others.

2. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

Not quiet sure what arguments you are after.

Why they have made it all 6 years? - (more income for the uni.)
    Why you should do 6 years?
    Why you should afford it? Etc?

3. DrDani

DrDani Member

Imperial was one of my favourite choices too, I work as a healthcare in their trust too. I think it was one of my favourite choices mostly because of convience rather than the course, but now that they've change the course to 5 year plus changed the entrance exam, I'm not going to apply there.

I'm doing the UKCAT plus the gamsat, I don't i want to add a new entrance exam to the mix.

I think I was just applying to London schools first out of convience too, but after i researched each course, I came up with my final 4 :)

4. jcak

jcak New Member

I can see why they did it, Imperial is a money making machine, and very good at it. This is another aspect of that. They won't shrink as it'll still attract loads of applicants, they'll produce just as good calibre medics, maybe more so for the added time they have to learn (or maybe it'll just mean they learn the same amount and have less pressure?).

How do you think this will affect applicant numbers for this coming round? Personally I feel the BMAT will put a lot of candidates off, the added funding problem will scare off a large percentage too. Thought there will still be a crowd of people putting their name forwards. What put me off mostly (I had an interview there last admission cycle) is I found out the majority of their intake have doctorates. There's a freedom of information request out there that details how many people got offers and how many of those already had a PhD/DPhil.

TL;DR: Puts me off slightly, won't change the med school's overall performance, may affect intake?

Sorry that was a bit of a messy paragraph, I've been thinking a lot of this 5 year GEM course (I'm at ICL doing my Masters and it's probably my first choice) but I'm also in a massive rush right now.

5. randomusername

randomusername New Member

I'm a current masters student at Imperial too, and yes I think it's all about the money. I would've applied to their 4 year course but not to a 5 year GEM (can't afford it!), also having a masters means I'm not to bothered about gaining an extra year of research.
    I don't think sitting the BMAT is that much of an inconvenience (not for me anyway, I like the look of it!), I think the main factor of people not applying would be financial. I remember that being a main talking point at the royal society of medicine GEM event..

6. mugatu

mugatu New Member

It'll be interesting to see their applications this year, I really like Imperial, I might apply but I'd have to put a lot of thought into it and how come you're in a rush?

7. bcr23

bcr23 New Member

Actually it's allegedly to do with proposed changes to the registration regime. Medical graduates will be fully qualified now straight out of uni (rather than after FY1). This currently requires 5 years study under EU rules (4 year GEM + FY1 fulfils this as does the standard medical route of 5 year MBBS). However if they change the registration point then the GEM won't qualify. Since they're probably not going to keep a special FY1 just for GEM it's more likely they'll just have to extend GEM to 5 years like imperial has already done. What this will mean for people already embarked on GEM god knows.

Given imperial students seem to have lost the NHS fee bursary all this looks ominous for the costs of the GEM route.

BMA

8. ryujin

ryujin New Member

Sorry for replying late to this! but i just ended up back on here! I'm currently a 1 year GEP medic at imperial, and its completely not true that most candidates have PhD's... There are 44 in my year and only 1 person has a PhD, a couple have masters, but most like myself only have a bachelors...