1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much studying is involved from finishing your medicine degree?

Discussion in 'MRCS Revision' started by ryanl1, Aug 10, 2009.

1. ryanl1

ryanl1 New Member

im quite sure that i want to become a doctor and have just been forced to take a gap year due to all rejections... so im just trying to confirm this is what i want to do before i reapply soon. I was just wondering how much studying you need to do in terms of hours per week or hours per day AFTER you have graduated and became a doctor? in your spare time when you have finished your shift...

be as truthful as possible as it would take A LOT to put me off.

#1 ryanl1, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  2. James

James New Member

A lot depends on your grade as a PRHO (F1) I did nothing out of work. As an SHO revising for membership exams I would say a couple of hours a night and 5-6hrs every weekend. Now as a reg I am still doing an hour or two per night working on research, audits and publications.

I think it will get worse for the next generation of doctors, there is an exam 1/2 way through F2 year for entry into certain (soon to be all) specialities which needs revising for and all the stupid workplace based assessments take hours...

3. ryanl1

ryanl1 New Member

how many hours did you work per week in F1 and F2?

ive been told its 60 per week... and if so... i cant imagine how hard it would be to do an extra couple of hours per night + 5/6 at weekend!

how was it for you?

what would happen if you slacked on your 'homework'? (not that id plan to)

4. James

James New Member

I used to work 'proper' 120 hour weeks. Better let one of the new ones answer this for you.....

5. ryanl1

ryanl1 New Member

120 hours a week?! thats 7 hours to yourself per day... unbelievable, how did you not go insane?
    id give up now if i believed ill have to do 120 hours a week :p

ill ask a new doctor