1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How is a PRHO/SHO life in GB ?

Discussion in 'Current Medical Students' started by drcarter, Nov 18, 2003.

1. drcarter

drcarter New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    I'm a medical student in France and I would be interested to train my whole residency in great britain.
    Could you tell me please how it is in the UK, i mean workload, time spent at hospital, income, vacations, responsability, on calls...
    how is resident's life over there ?
    do you have to apply for a new SHO post every 6 months in competition with other one ?
    thank you
  2. James

James New Member

Jun 28, 2003
    You work about 70 to 100 hours /week depending on your on-calls. As an example I work a 1 in 4 rota, so every Thursday I am on call, then every 4th week I also do Fri, Sat & Sun. Normal hours are 8-5, on call you are in for the full 24 hours. Income is about 33K-36K depending on the job and wether you are an SHO or PRHO. Vacations are 24 days per year, as an SHO you also get a couple of extra weeks off for study leave. Responsability is very dependant on the job, some are very heavily supervised others you are pretty much just left to it. Starting this August there are 2 year posts covering the first year PRHO and 1st year SHO (foundation years).