How competitive am i?

Discussion in 'Brighton and Sussex Medical School' started by chicharito, Feb 11, 2011.

1. chicharito

chicharito New Member

Hows the going?
    Im an Irish student ,so excuse my ignorance when it comes to applying to medicine in the uk.I am clueless on the matter and would really appreciate yer help.
    Ok so,i did my leaving cert in 09 and scored 580 points(5A1 and 2B).However,i am rubbish at aptitude tests like the ukcat,so that why im considering applying to schools in the uk like BSMS who dont care about it too much.
    Now,work experience with a doctor/medical setting,i have none.
    However, i have been a sea and rescue volunteer for a few months now and am starting to get involved with St.Johns ambulance services as a volunteer.Do i need a lot more on top of this to get an interview at BSMS.I read somewhere,that they have 17 applcations per place which seem insane!
    Igreatly appreciate any reply,
    Really dont want to have to go to Poland to study medicine:(
    Cheers

2. smilingsophie

smilingsophie New Member

I think its important for you to gain some work experience so that it shows that you have researched and experienced the career that you are applying for. Remember there will be many applicants with the exact same grades, but it is the work experience, personal statement, extra-curricular activites which makes the good applicants stand out.

:)

3. chicharito

chicharito New Member

Thanks for your help!
    If u dont mind my asking,can u tell me what volunteer work/work experience u had seeing as u got a place?Iv heard brighton is the most competitive given that they have nearly 20 applicants per place.
    Thanks a lot

4. smilingsophie

smilingsophie New Member

I volunteered for 2 hours on an elderly ward for 6 months. I also did one weeks work experience with a GP and one weeks work experience with a rheumatologist. I also volunteered at a playscheme for disadvantaged children over one summer.

I am a graduate though so i did this was over 3-4 years!