1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hong Kong Student in UK

Discussion in 'International Medical Students' started by Winnie, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Winnie

Winnie New Member

I am a sixth form student from HongKong

Med school in uk only admit a very small % of students from overseas. This is making me very nervous on the prospect of getting in any med school in UK.

Have few questions and hope someone out there could help?

1. I did my Hong Kong Certificate of Education in HK (equivalent to GCSE). I have 6B and 2C. Math/Chem/Phy with B, Biol. C. Does my score means I will get rejected right away if applying to med school list say over 4As at GCSE as minimum reuirement?
    2. Teachers at my UK schools believe I should have 4 As in my AS (math/Phy/Chem/Bio). Personally, I believe I will achieve 3As in my A2. will likely drop maths after AS. Will med school just look at my AS Level and neglect my HKCEE results?

Hope to hear from other International students who were in similar situation regardless if you were accepted or rejected by the univ.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

2. ash4

ash4 New Member

hi winnie
    im also from hong kong but i havent taken the HKCEE's...i did the standard ESF GCSE/A-Level degree. regarding ur questions, i would check with each med school wht they accept to be minimum requirements for gcse. it does seem difficult to get into a med school which requires a min no. of a's when u haf 6b's and 1 C, but remember, the hkcee's are NOT the same as gcse's...i know for a fact that the hkcee's are generally much more difficult than the gcse's that we take. getting an A grade (so i've heard) is much harder with HKCEE'S than with gcse's.
    i would try contacting each med school and explain ur situation, i.e. that you are taking a foreign exam of a slightly different (more demanding?) level than gcse. i'm sure a lot of ppl from HK with HKCEE's have applied to the uk for higher ed so admissions tutors should be fairly familiar with them.
    hope this helps, out of interest, which school in hk are u in?

3. acapriccio

acapriccio New Member

HK student in UK

hello!
    I was actually from hongkong before i moved to singapore to study 8 years ago, so am pretty much detached from the HK system. However I do know that the HKCEE and Singapore-Cambridge GCE is slightly harder than the British own one. For one, they take their exams at a few seatings, which definitely lighten the workload.
    Are u applying for entry 2004 or entry 2005? I suppose 2005 right since the deadline shld be long over for entry 2004. I suggest you order prospectuses from the universities you're interested in at their respective websites, and also request for medicine information leaflets. they provide pretty much the offers, and the types of courses they offer. better still, call up the admission officers of the unis and ask them, explaining your situation.
    I have heard that students from HK can't really adapt to the PBL system in certain schools like manchester and liverpool because they are too used to traditional teaching back in HK. I think it is so true. So either you're very prepared for it, or i suggest as a HK student, to avoid PBL totally.
    my 2-cents worth :D

4. ash4

ash4 New Member

hi appricio
    i am guessing that you are also applying to UK unis for med?
    i wanted to ask you, since you live in singapore are you applying to the NUS for med or to the UK?
    I am from hong kong and i really regret that i was not able to apply to singapore uni for medicine and only realised after the deadline. with the medical course of 5 years, it is not feasible for me to take a year out and then reapply, also with the possibility that i may not get in. so for now, it looks like the uk is my only option.,
    where will you be applying?

5. acapriccio

acapriccio New Member

I am going to apply for all 3, ie UK, HK and Singapore.
    I am considered a mainstream student in Singapore and by right can just follow suit and apply for NUS as local student and this process will only commence next year after our A levels. I have asked about HKU which will also only commence recruitment for overseas students next year. So right now, I am only settling the UK part of it.
    Honestly I am not quite sure about the admission for foreign students for NUS. You mean their deadline has already passed? So early?You wanted to be admitted in 2004 is it? As for HKU, why don't you apply to HKU as well? Do you know that the medical faculty in HKU is very strong? and it is also very famous world wide with good research and etc..definitely has a standard above NUS. However, the enrolment is very small, smaller than singapore's. Hmmm.. so sad. They recently shrunk the size of the medicine faculty right? I have read the news and I suspect it's just the government doesn't wanna pump in money to support it.
    So how, what are the UK universities you're most likely applying to? I am feeling all lost man!! :p

6. ash4

ash4 New Member

HKU is a good option as i think in terms of quality, it probably beats singapore. THe med faculty is very good. However, its very local based, ie. most of the students are from hk local schools and mostly speak cantonese. i cannot speak cantonese - i studied at an esf school (remember those??) so on a social level, i will probably feel very left out. classes etc. are conducted in english but having no working knowledge of cantonese can be very difficult to cope with, particularly with other students. also, theres no point in graduating with a H.K. degree, if I can't speak the language as i will need to communicate with patients rite?
    with any other language, the issue would just be to learn it. but cantonese as you know, is not like french etc. which are much easier to pick up and speak (forget writing, cantonese script is a nightmare).
    i was thinking that language was not so much an issue in singapore as english is more likely to be spoken. and even if it isn't, malay isn't too hard to pick up is it?
    so would you also have to serve the bond if you studied in singapore?

7. acapriccio

acapriccio New Member

what's esf? Some kinda international school? But don't you speak cantonese to your parents? or are you not a chinese as all? *confused* Well, if you know certaind degree of chinese, it really isn't that hard picking up cantonese, and I would say it's a pretty cool tongue, even singaporeans like the HK cantonese! Well, I sure think picking up cantonese for a HK context is much worthier for you since you're from HK anyway. Caucasians from overseas can pick it up why can't you?

Well, I don't have an issue with cantonese because I can speak it, plus mandarin and english. I know a little bit of french as well. However I have been away from HK for so long, have already lost touch with the community and everything there. When I go back for holidays I often feel very weird as well, like can't fit in. Although my cantonese is still in tune, but when you aren't there long enough you just don't have the local taste in the way you talk right? The way I speak cantonese is kinda 'polite' and 'formal'.. if you know what i mean! haha. I aint sure if i want to practise in HK though, I aint sure about my future at all. so shall just take one step at a time.

I want to go to the UK mainly because of the rich culture heritage of Europe. especially excited to meet people from all over the world in the uni. studying in HK or Singapore will not give me such opportunities. And you learn to take care of yourself and really explore the world outside your comfort zone. Sounds exciting. But what really bothers me now is which uni to choose, whether i can get in and the high cost of med in uk!

Yes you've pretty much researched on the NUS system right? As locals we all have to serve 5 years of bond if we study medicine in NUS, because supposedly it's under heavy govt subsidy. As for foreigner I am not sure, but should be still alot cheaper than the UK cost-wise. Bond I aint sure. But I do hear about if you can go overseas for postgrad, there's something like buying yourself outta the bond. And if you get a scholarship for postgrad you can 'delay' that bond..only do it after all your education. I believe this will not be so stringent on foreigners though.

Don't bother learning Malay because it's not that significant. You wouldn't need it anyway except if you practise medicine in Singapore, you may need to know a few lines to greet the Malay patients who don't know english. By the time we graduate and practise, that population should be quite bilingual, english will do. But the government does push for learning more Chinese and speaking Mandarin. So you see, it all boils down to the fact that you must learn chinese dear!!!

Btw, you sound like a girl, are you a girl? haha.. and out of curiosity, how old are you?

8. Fried_Rice

Fried_Rice New Member

Ooooh exciting a hong kong ppl conversation.

ESF stands for English Schools Foundation. They are a group of international schools here. They do GCSEs and A levels or the IB.

9. vivien_yc

vivien_yc New Member

UK n HK

I've gone back to HK to study medicine (yr 1) at CUHK after 9 years of studying in the UK!!! So not used to it. Regret coming back to HK sometimes. Is studying medicine in UK much different from in HK? I really want to know. Please tell me la!

10. hotdoghk88

hotdoghk88 New Member

Hi Vivien, I am from HK and currently doing a-level in UK. Hope to get in med school here.

Can you advise, how difficult for someone with a UK medical degree to practise in Hong Kong these days. Prior to 1997 when HK was still a British Colony. UK qaulifications are fully recognized. Believe this is no longer the case.

So how can someone, say after MBBS and one year PRHO in UK, need to do to get a job in a HK hospital?

11. vivien_yc

vivien_yc New Member

i think if u want to practice in HK, it's better to go to medical school in HK. if u hold a qualification from elsewhere, u hv to pass an exam (which is apparently impossible with a pass rate of something around 5 - 15%) before u can practice in HK. So it really depends on where you wanna work after u graduate. There's no harm in applying to HKU and CUHK as well as UK unis. u can download forms from da net - thats what i did. the HKU n CUHK programmes are quite different tho. HKU is MBBS (problem-based teaching) and CUHK is MBChB (intergrated system based) so it depends what u like.

hope that's of help. i'm actually thinking of the opposite! how can i work in UK after my MBChB n internship?

12. acapriccio

acapriccio New Member

hey.
    i am actually targetting to get into a UK med sch but am also open to choices like HK n Singapore. This year my dad went back to HK to ask and I think according to the HKU pple, UK degree 'not recognized'..in a sense u still have to take another exam in HK to be a qualified MO there. n I suppose even after tt u gotta first do a yr PRHO first rite? which is usually the case everywhere. this is making me very confused and lost too.coz being in 2 places all my life i really don't know where am I gonna settle down and prac med (hopefully).but i guess just take one thing at a time la huh~

13. Lennon

Lennon New Member

anyone going to London?

14. acapriccio

acapriccio New Member

going london as in when?
    im going london in mid jan~

15. Lennon

Lennon New Member

as in studying in London next Sep........cos it is always good to know if HK people are there......I was really jus wondering

So I see you people live in HK......cos I live in UK, but hopefully going to be inLondon next year.

Though I am from HK.
    Lennon

16. Lennon

Lennon New Member

Hi everyone

Well, I am going to Queen Mary London next year to do medicine, I got an offer of AAB, hopefully I will get it, but anything could happen, so fingers crossed. I was really just wondering if anybody from Hong Kong is going to study there as well, I would be really interested. And had anyone had an interview there or are going to> If you need any help, I am more than happy to help.

Lennon

17. acapriccio

acapriccio New Member

hey i got offer to UCL, AAB...but hmmm..considering other options still..like singapore and HKU.. what about you Lennon? you are considered local (in UK) or overseas paying status?anyway do u live in bedford??? the other time when i was in london i went there to stay with my friend for one night! pretty cool place!! but cold! haha.. cheers

18. Lennon

Lennon New Member

yeah I think I am considered local, since QM london sent me a letter about my AAB offer, and stated I was a home student. yeah I do live in bedford, how about you?

Lennon :D

19. Lennon

Lennon New Member

yeah I think I am considered local, since QM london sent me a letter about my AAB offer, and stated I was a home student. yeah I do live in bedford, how about you?

Lennon :D

20. plucesiar

plucesiar New Member

hey everyone, I wannna go back to HK to practice med (if I get in medschool first haha), but anyway, does anyone have any information on the exams/courses you have to take if we are going to HK with a foreign medical degree? I saw vivien talking about it earlier so I was kinda interested. I'm applying from Canada so I'm at a disadvantage everywhere, so UK will more likely have a spot for me than HK because of the competition and comparatively less spots there.