1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Highers, are they a must?

Discussion in 'Scottish Highers' started by prmdc098, Mar 1, 2012.

1. prmdc098

prmdc098 New Member

The chances are this question is away to sound so silly but I thought I would ask. Highers thats all you see when you open a university prospectus, especially for medicine. But is there any other routes into medicine. I mean surly not everyone who's applying to med school has these, or do they and im just hopping for the best. I mean there of course are people who dont do well in school but dose this mean theres no way they can become a doctor? I know the workload would be emense but surly because someone didnt do well when they are a teenager but are no more mature isnt discriminated? Or are they and im just hoping for a fairly tale world haha

2. Maria87

Maria87 New Member

There are widening-access programmes for those that don't get the grades, but you need to tick their boxes. Google "widening-access programmes for Medicine" and see if you meet their criteria. If this fails, your only option is to apply either as a mature or as a graduate, the latter will cost you energy (studying for a degree that isn't what you want to do for the rest of your life) and money to pay for the first and second degree, depending on where you're living/applying.

Don't give up - there are many routes into Medicine these days. The best thing to do now is to search for info and see if you fit their criteria. Usually all the info is contained in the universities website, and of course you can always call/email them if you're unsure about anything.

All the best.

3. ALiyah88

ALiyah88 New Member

i think you can get in medicine if you go on to study biomedical science

4. kaodeve

kaodeve New Member

Access to medicine course. Stow in Glasgow and Perth College both run them and are accepted at Glasgow and St. Andrews respectively if you get good grades in the modules and also meet the uni's other criteria - UKCAT score, PS, work experience etc. I know that Stow have now stopped accepting grads onto the Access but we have 3 who came through that route before it stopped - they all had non-science degrees.

hth