1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Higher english - yay or nay?!

Discussion in 'Scottish Highers' started by emma329, Mar 12, 2011.

?

Should I take higher english? :)

1. Yes, take it!

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No, don't do it!!

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. emma329

emma329 New Member

Hiiii! :D So it's time to pick my highers, and I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice? :confused: I'm definitely taking maths, chemistry and human biology. I'd love to take physics, but my school aren't offering three sciences (at the moment anyway...I'm trying to change their mind :p ).

Now, I'm pretty good at english, but it's one of those very subjective subjects, and i'm scared that the exam will go badly and i'll not get an A (or even a B)! My brother, who was really good at english at standard grade level ended up getting a C, and only one medical school even considered him. :/ Plus I don't even like english!!

So what I'm really wondering is, do medical schools favour those who have taken higher english - for example, to demonstrate communication skills? (not that essay writing is particularly useful...) I know that it's not neccesary, but would it be an advantage at all? Do you think studying a foriegn language would be more useful?

Thank you for reading!! :D

2. klg

klg New Member

My advice would be to take something that you enjoy and think you are good at - Unis tend to want Chemistry and sometimes Biology for Medicine but outside that it's more about the grades, and if you enjoy it you are likely to do better, in my experience!! I thought about doing English but hated it so didn't and I'm really glad I didn't!

3. emma329

emma329 New Member

Wonderful - thank you very much for the advice! :) It looks like I'll be able to take chemistry, biology, maths, physics and french. I think it's time to leave those endless essay redrafts behind! :)