1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Higher chemistry and human biology

Discussion in 'Scottish Highers' started by grub, Apr 15, 2011.

1. grub

grub New Member

Hi all,

I am a mature/graduate and I need to resit my highers in chem and human bio as they are over 5 yrs old.

I live in the south side of glasgow.

Please could anyone offer some advice on where I could do these, as evening classes?

Actually, do I even need to attend classes if I still have all my old notes, can I sit the exam only or is there coursework I need to pass?

Thanks x

2. ARTait85

ARTait85 New Member

Hi Grub,

Various colleges around Glasgow allow you to do highers: anniesland, stow and langside are 3.

Also, Stow do a course called Access to Medicine that will give you science qualifications that are recognised by *some* universities.

Andrew

3. alisonitis

alisonitis New Member

I did my higher chemistry as an evening class once per week on a thursday night 2 yrs ago at langside college. I did human biology at stevenson college in edinburgh as a distance learning but still had to go in a few times to do labs and nabs - you can sit a few in one go though so it saves you trips. With chemistry i'm pretty sure you need to attend and can;t do distance learning because of the practicals but double check with a college.

4. calum_c

calum_c New Member

I've done my higher chemistry on a Wednesday evening at Carnegie college in Dunfermline. I live in East Kilbride and work in Glasgow, so gets quite tiresome doing the long trip every week. Not sure if Carnegie are keeping evening classes next year.

Langside offer higher chemistry in evenings. I asked about it last year and they said no because I never done it at school at any level. As you done it, you would no doubt be accepted no problem.

5. alisonitis

alisonitis New Member

that's strange they must've changed their rules because I never did any chemistry in school either. It was a crash higher for me and they didn't have a problem with it. It was 2 years ago that I did it though so maybe things have changed.

6. lai9

lai9 New Member

Hi there,

Did the all universities specifically ask you to re-sit your chem and bio highers because it was over 5 years ago? Or was it only certain unis? It just seems odd as many mature students who have O-levels/similar can still get through?

7. vicky.w.glasgow

vicky.w.glasgow New Member

Hi, I understand that this is now a while since you posted but i wondered what stage you are at now. I am also a graduate and need to resit my human biology and take chemistry. I noticed that college entry has passed and courses will not begin until next August.

Did you enrole on time? Or are you planning to do self study?

Vicky