1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Personal Statements

Discussion in 'Personal Statements and UCAS forms' started by theicemaiden, Apr 30, 2006.

1. theicemaiden

theicemaiden Super Moderator

This thread is intended as a (second!) updated list for members who wish to help others with their personal statements.

If you would like to help other members with their personal statements please post up your offer in this thread.

Could people also post who they are, eg 1st yr medical student, doctor, applicant etc so people know who they are sending their PS to. It might also be useful to put which med school you are at/have applied to.

Please do not post your PS in this thread, nor anything else other than offers to help... there are many other threads to post other questions in!

2. Aaliyah

Aaliyah New Member

I am happy to help with personal statements. I will be applying for 2007, so Lord knows I need help myself!! ;)

I work in NHS recruitment and spend 80% of my time looking at personal statements and interviewing junior doctors, so hopefully, I've learnt a thing or two of that!! You can PM me your PS if you want and I will give comments.

3. Bethfarr

Bethfarr New Member

I am happy to help with personal statements. I know I would have loved some when I was applying! I'm starting at UCL in september. Feel free to PM me. Beth xxxx

4. little_miss_phonics

little_miss_phonics New Member

Hi there,

If anyone would like some help with their personal statements then I would be happy to help. After having to rewrite mine to apply the second time and then getting into Southampton I have a fair bit of experience. Like Bethhfarr said, I would have been very happy to have had some help the 1st time round!xxx

5. Meg01

Meg01 New Member

What to do with myself now UCAS is over this year ...

I'd be very happy to help out in anyway I can (ps content, proof reading etc) - I was very grateful to have similar help during my application!

I suppose my area of knowledge (i'll stop short of expertise!) is graduate applications, with a background in social science. I applied to both GEP and 5 year courses. (offers at KCL, Newcastle GEP, Glasgow, Edinburgh). I can also help with cutting down to the word limit,and I won't let any grammatical/spelling errors past me!! Plus I have a stash of medical buzz words which I couldn't fit in my own PS!!

You can send me a PM - i'll be away 2 weeks in mid July '06, but the rest of the time sitting at my work desk needing something to do!!!

:) meg

6. Erin

Erin New Member

I would also be happy for anyone to pm me their personal statement. I didn't have a clue where to start with mine last year, but ended up getting some very good advice from a GP! I'll be starting at Edinburgh in September, and had offers from Aberdeen and Glasgow too.

Erin :)

#6 Erin, Jun 12, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2006
  7. Mattie

Mattie New Member

Hi,

I was so grateful to some people on this site for having a look at my PS and then commenting on it that I'd thought I'd repay my debts.

Please feel free to PM me with ur PS so that I can have a read and hopefully I'll be able to make some helpful comments.

About me... well! I'm a first time applicant. I received offers from Peninsual and Sheffield although I did have interviews at Cardiff and Brighton and Sussex as well. I'll hopefully be starting PMS in sept (depending on grades).

Good luck and feel free to ask me any questions as well (as long as they aren't too personal)!

Matt

8. Wannabe-Doc

Wannabe-Doc New Member

Thanks guys, when I finally get round to writing my PS, I'll be sure to ask for your help!

I was just wondering, could an Oxbridge student read over my seperate PS for the CAF/OAF (whichever I eventually decide to fill in!) and offer any advice?? It will be much appreciated!!!

9. Mattie

Mattie New Member

NO!!!

I'm they will if they come across this thread.
    :D

Matt

10. Wannabe-Doc

Wannabe-Doc New Member

er.. huh?

11. Mattie

Mattie New Member

Sorry, what I was supposed to say was that I'm sure an Oxbridge applicant/student will give you some help if they come across this thread.

Sorry but I was in a rush and I didn't read what I wrote... silly me!!!

12. *Liana*

*Liana* New Member

I'm happy to help with personal statements or CAF statements... I'm not that well-qualified - I'm in Year 13 at the moment - but I got offers from Cambridge (Trinity), UCL and King's, and checked several of my friends' statements for various courses.

I'm a bit of a spelling/grammar nazi when it comes to formal stuff, if that helps anyone. :)

13. frankum

frankum New Member

hello, hello, yep I'll be willing to help too, just PM or email me and I'll give yours a read through. Don't forget that there's a limit to the length, I spent a long time trying to make mine short enough to fit on the form! so I'm good at cutting out unnecessary words now!

14. Chris_Cal

Chris_Cal Member

Yeh il help do. Lazy gap yearing with 2 years PS experience! Starting 5 year georges in October! send em my way! woohoo

15. Wannabe-Doc

Wannabe-Doc New Member

I've just started writing my PS, and I was wondering what the word limit is?

I have too much to say!!!

16. *Liana*

*Liana* New Member

There's a character and line limit - I think it's 4000 or 4500 characters... when you get on to apply later you'll be able to check the length on the website.

17. Mattie

Mattie New Member

last year it was 3000 characters including spaces and it will probably be the same again this year. i Shouldn't worry too much about the character limit yet as you'll change and amend your statement so many times.
    What I tried doing was putting down everything I wanted to say and then talking it from there. As i think some said, don't worry about the opening sentence yet.
    Good luck.
    Matt

18. frankum

frankum New Member

I think the character limit was 4000 for me, that's about 47 or 48 lines in Word. Ucas won't let you send a PS if it is too long.

19. Gabby

Gabby New Member

Hello all - I am also more than happy to help with PS writing.
    I am delighted to say that I am due to start at UCL in September - and my particular area of (way too much knowledge) is being an elderly(!) graduate applicant who has taken about 20 years to get into Med School.......!
    My adult children will attest to my obsession with grammar and spelling (please don't get me started on the use of 'less' or 'fewer' or apostrophes....)

I don't get online terribly frequently as I am very busy at work at the moment - but if you pm or email me I will take a look as soon as I am able.

I cannot tell you all what a complete joy it is to me that I don't ever have to write another UCAS personal statement for myself!!

lots of love and luck, Gabby xxx

20. Butternut

Butternut New Member

:) hey i'm also totally willing to read any personal statements.
    I remember how much it helped having people on here read over mine last year. Btw i'm going to start my first year in sep hopefully at Glasgow if i get my conditions so if anyone wants me to read them just pm them over!!xx:)