Halls

elz

im excited waiting to hear from keeno about the treasure hunt!
and do u like my little count down?

AbdnGradPL

It's very sweet, really :) For me, I only like to count things down from 1 month backwards, for longer periods I get bored easily :p / I guess I could throw a counter of my own too, but since I'm afraid I might 'ave failed today's exam, it would be pointless.. it may be better if I wait till results are available... :|

Keeno

Right exams are now finished, Yay :)

The treasure hunt is not nearly as exciting as you would think..... Admittedly it would have been horrible no matter what we were doing because it was pouring it down with rain.

Basically you get into groups of 8 and get a map of Aberdeen with a route to follow. You walk along the route and you are given a task sheet that involves answering questions and drawing things etc. You end up walking past 'famous' doctors houses etc then eventually end up at the gallery in town. Then walk back a different route doing more tasks. The sheets are marked and the highest scoring group gets some small prize a few days later i think... can't remember what the prize was.

Oh btw just to warn you now.... they were handing out other prizes at the introductory lectures.... for what people wrote on their medsoc application forms. When you get sent your introductory pack it will have forms in it to join Ogston and medsoc and have a form for ordering Ogston hoodies etc. Anyway this form is a spoof thing saying 'what's your most embarrassing moment ever' kind of thing.... I am sooo glad I didn't join medsoc. Most of the members just think it was a waste of money

Last edited:

Keeno

How did the exams go? I saw people coming out of exams and did think of you!!
Px
They actually went quite well thanks :) The community course exam is a test of how well you can remember tutorials and also just spraff really. I remember the first question was a 9 mark question on a 23 year old couple who live in a flat with a 6 month old baby who has started crying for 4 hours during he night but is otherwise healthy Full time mother and father works. It just said what could be the effects of this etc.... so you just spraff about how the baby is teething, nothing to worry about healthwise, the father may be suffering at work due to fatigue or whatever... family be me fatigued/depressed, they live in a flat so baby might be annoying neighbours..... That kind of thing generally. The second one had a bit of ethics about a 15 year old girl who was pregnant and wans an abortion. It says the doctor who sees her is a Roman Catholic and is part of a 'sanctity of life' group. So you just go on about her beliefs and how they shouldn't interfere with her duty as a doctor and then it expands the question to other things... IN total it's a 60 mark paper over 1 hour and 15 mins.

Systems 2 exam I was VERY worried about.... there is a lot to learn and i didn't understand some of it too well. Anyway turns out the paper is almost exactly the same every year so do a couple of past papers and you will be fine.

The OSPE was not as bad as I thought it would be... again a lot of difficult things to remember... but the actual exam skirted over most of the difficult bits. Still wasn't easy either.

Interview and fail lists are posted next week so eagerly waiting...

lil-lauren

hey I checked my letter again and the thing I was talking about is an 'associate student scheme' which is 'free of charge' and lets you get into the uni facilities eg. library, gym, hub and stuff over the summer and you get to meet your director of studies early but i guess that doesn't apply to us! you also have to send away for an id card early. did anyone else get that letter?? maybe its just for aberdeen folk.

Keeno

hey I checked my letter again and the thing I was talking about is an 'associate student scheme' which is 'free of charge' and lets you get into the uni facilities eg. library, gym, hub and stuff over the summer and you get to meet your director of studies early but i guess that doesn't apply to us! you also have to send away for an id card early. did anyone else get that letter?? maybe its just for aberdeen folk.
You can get into the huv free anyway ;)

Also medics don't have to apply for ID cards.... basically no other subjects took passport photos to their interview so they have to send them in. You lot did so you will get the one you took to interview on your ID card.

ruridh17

Hmm, im not sure i like the picture i have of me at that interview. Oh well looks as though it will have to do i guess.

And this treasure hunt youw ere talking about doesnt sound all bad. I mean there are prizes involved, what can be better than that i tell you?? eh? haha

jitterbug

Hey guys, I'm wondering if someone can help me, I'm applying to halls for Sept 2008 but because of financial reasons my best option is the self catering halls. Can anyone tell me what they are like? e.g how many toilets in a flat etc. oh and how long it takes to walk from hillhead to the college we will be at?

Also are there many people ages 20+ who are applying to stay self catering? I'm a bit worried I'm the only one!

Thanks Jitterbug
(sorry for all the questions!!)

natamac

Hi, I don't know too much about the halls but I am going for the cheapest self-catering flats and will be 20 in September.
Also I think there is a good bus route from hillhead through the main campus and down to marischall college. There is a good site of bus routes in aberdeen with animated buses.

Polldoll

I also am financially restricted but have gone for Elphinstone at £92 per week. Its specifically for mature students and is flats of 3 4 or 5. I looked around Hillhead, the £93 per week and was shocked, so chose Elphinstone instead!! Dont know how different it will be, but its across the road from the library, next to the hub and closer to town so Im happier!
Still its only one year, next year we can look for cheap flats with all our new friends!!
Px

AbdnGradPL

Hey jitterbug,

You can't expect the same standard you have in a typical flat/house - even from the cheaper (<100 quid) Halls, and sometimes even those over this cutoff point are 'below average' - but then again, there are better rooms and those that were mistreated by previous occupants - so sometimes it's purely a matter of luck (unless you go to the new block, which is incredibly expensive but it's bound to be shiny and sparkling this September -I can't promise the same quality in Sep 2009 ;) )

As for the distance - many people mentioned this in threads around this forum - we will be based in Marishall college, and the time to get there (by foot) is roughly 40 minutes. You also have a direct bus connection, but a you'll probably want a monthly ticket for those early morning lectures.

BTW, people - my mistake, I thought First increased the price of monthly tickets - apparently they haven't. The Student version will make your wallet lighter by 'just' 34 quid this year. If you're planning to hit the shops/bars/discos frequently, this expense is a must.

elz

im 'old' and going to be at hillhead self catered but going for the more expensive ones because im stupid. but the north south house ones were my 2nd choice, i havnt seen any of them but they looked nicer from the pics then the rest, but kitchens looked pretty basic.
will just hav to get the bus to lectures -thanks aberdeengrad glad they are the cheaper price. yea if u hav a monthly ticket i guess at least its unlimited and can go into town and watever.
anyways jitterbug ill be around hillhead and i know a few other medics who already hav places there.

jitterbug

Thanks everyone for your comments! I reckon I'm going to go for the self catering (although I'm still swithering..)and hope for the best that its ok, if not as you said Polldoll its only for the year! The bus pass thing sounds like a really good idea, definitely worth it if living at Hillhead!

Its good to know there will be others of you around the area! Really looking forward to starting now, can't believe its June already so I'm sure September will come along very quickly!

oh I've just remembered another question: Is it a better option for medics to choose to stay with other medics? I suppose we will all be revising around the same time which will be good!

Thanks Jitterbug

Polldoll

I would rather be with other medics, more understanding of course, studying etc.. but I decided it was more important to be with mature students. But Im still hopeful that some medics may join me!!

Px

lil-lauren

I thought that the photo was just to make sure we weren't getting someone else to do our interview for us cos they asked us to bring photographic id? oh well... if they use that for student id, mine will have a black and white dutch passport photo of a twelve year old!!!

i'm not going to bother with a bus pass, i love walking! lol... and then i can use the money saved for taxis at night...

elz

not the id we took to interview lauren, the one we send them with the stuff they just sent us.

i like walking but not 40 mins there and back every day, ud hav to get up extra early!! cant do that!!! haha

jitterbug

hmm now I'm worried, I didnt get anything to send back with a photo apart from disclosure stuff (got disclosure, accommodation form and cert of acceptance) maybe is that if you are unconditional? all these forms are starting to confuse me! hehe