Halls

elz

no it said they dont use the reference to place you, its just to give to the warden on ur floor so they know abit about ur personality

natamac

Hi,
has anyone from England who has put Aberdeen as their firm got an application form yet?
I am still waiting and want to get my form in quick as I have food allergies and need selfcatered, especially if you have to get a reference.

elz

yea well im uncond and from south coast of england and had mine couple of days ago. u can do the reference after and send it on. its the form thats important.

hate to tell u, they won't place you in accommodation until u get ur a level results or whatever in august. they only place people with unconditionals. thats what they told me. so maybe thats why theyr not in a rush to send those.

Last edited:

AbdnGradPL

I'm still waiting for the accommodation form to come as well..

A question to ppl who got them already (especially if u've got certificates of acceptance and whatnot) :

Does any of the letters you received clearly state what's the precise date that the term begins? NOT the start of lectures and tutorials, but what's the day we HAVE TO be there (registration/adviser of studies appointments and such) ?

I need this info to book my flight tickets from Poland to UK for September, I don't want to be late but I wish I could stay at home for as long as possible... so I'd appreciate someone's help with this matter :) cheers

Robert

lil-lauren

I'm pretty sure that the letter said you HAVE to register by october 9th or 17th, I can't remember which, I'll find my form later! I know that classes for medicine start October 1st but the letter said that during Freshers' Week (23rd Sep onwards) tings such as meet your studies advisor and finalise your timetable, I guess they're pretty important and I don't know if you can do that after Fresher's week.

AbdnGradPL

Thank you Lauren, I was specifically thinking about 23rd of September. We have to meet our adviser of studies before we start lectures and such, and we need to e-register prior to meeting him. I was just wondering whether we need to be there before 23rd. If not, that's just great :)

elz

my understanding was if u wanted to get an ID card before freshers week were u may hav to queue up a while, then u hav to send it back by some time in october. is that what u mean by registration or did i miss that somewhere?
it just said freshers week starts on 23rd. id expect lessons start the nxt week but have the feeling week need to be their freshers week for lots of bits, inductions and stuff.

AbdnGradPL

Nah, I doubt that. You cannot get an ID card until your registration as a student is complete. As shown on a diagram ;) below:

e-reg -> adviser meeting -> finances -> ID card

Also, there'd be no point in sending the ID cards back to the uni office after u've been issued one... I should know, I had 3 of those buggers ;)

Keeno

Nah, I doubt that. You cannot get an ID card until your registration as a student is complete. As shown on a diagram ;) below:

e-reg -> adviser meeting -> finances -> ID card

Also, there'd be no point in sending the ID cards back to the uni office after u've been issued one... I should know, I had 3 of those buggers ;)
Someone's forgetting we don't have advisers ;) Basically if I remember correctly the freshers time table is a bit like this.

Monday -> All day at foresterhill for the treasurehunt and movie.
Tuesday-> Nothing i think....
Wednesday-> Introductory lecture type thing from Stephen Davies where you get all the learning guides etc and letter's from GMC etc. You also get your ID cards here and it is basically a case of queing in a line and getting your ID card and having your name ticked off.
Thursday-> I think there was something in the morning but can't remember what it was ( probably more introductory mumbo jumbo ) and there was the regent's evening later at foresterhill.
Friday-> think this was another free day

AbdnGradPL

yikes! Yep, to be fair there's no reason for us meeting the advisers - we don't have a choice of modules to study, quite unlike everybody else.. I'd forget my own head if it wasn't sutured on ;)

Treasure hunt on Monday? Fun times! :]

Thanks Keeno, what would we do without your expertise? :)

lil-lauren

well, i think in the letter we got it said there was this weird programme where we could come look around the uni and use facilities from june but we need id cards to do it and we have to apply for them by the end of may.... at least i think so, my letter is under a pile of clothes atm cos i'm in the process of cleaning! i may have just subconsciously made that up lol....

AbdnGradPL

Oh, maybe they meant the access/summer programmes? I'm on one - starting in June, all the way till end of August. I'll have a temporary ID card and will be able to access the library and so on.

Despite the fact that anyone can apply to join the summer school, I think that:
A) it costs 150 quid for each subject you take
B) this functions like a proper course with exams and coursework, so I'd be reluctant to use it in order to obtain an ID card earlier than everyone if I already had an unconditional..

however I dunno, someone may actually wish to sacrifice 2 months of their holiday to study a subject not strictly required for medicine just to get to know the university better, it might be a good way I guess.. :)

elz

lauren i think u and i must have got totally different stuff through the post! lol all i thought mine said was u could send off to get ur ID card earlier by August or something so u didnt have to queue in september. hmmm

o i cant wait till the treasure hunt!!! what are we gonna do the rest of the days though guys?? how about a beach trip? hmm in septmeber

ruridh17

Treasurehunt. I asked this before but what exactly does it involve??

Codonas trip anyone? I havent been there for years, and it will be nostalgic as it was my first rollercoaster.

Keeno

Treasurehunt. I asked this before but what exactly does it involve??

Codonas trip anyone? I havent been there for years, and it will be nostalgic as it was my first rollercoaster.
will explain when i don't have exams... so wait til Wednesday night

AbdnGradPL

Dear all,

I just called the admissions to ask whether all accommodation forms were sent at the same time, and I've been told all forms for unconditional offers were send, but the conditionals will have to wait a bit longer - we should receive them later this week.

Personally, I thought mine was lost in post but apparently not :) PS. The head of admissions also told me that the time of filling in your accommodation form will not affect the chances of you getting your first choice - rooms will be allocated to ALL ppl with unconditionals at the same time and to ALL conditionals together as well (although probably a bit later than UC)

elz

hmm well if ur first choice is south house ensuite of which they only have 3! and you have a conditional, so u wont be alocated till august. then ur not gonna get ur first choice are u (silly acommodation people!) but if ur first choice is a hall where theres loads of rooms then ul be fine
it says on their letter its allocated on first come first serve basis, they cant physically do them all together.
i think they just want to fob us off so they can get on with it. lol