Halls of Residence

Kensei

cold? baltic is the word i think your looking for. and very wet, that's the worst bit:p
As a citizen of a Baltic country, I have to protest here :) It doesn't rain nearly as much in Poland as it does in Britain - and the temperatures in summer are more comparable with Spain than with Scotland ;-P

LittleOrangeBandaid- don't worry about finding a quiet place 2 study, depending on where you'll stay, there will b queen mother's library or forresterhill library nearby, open till late evening hours.. also, few buildings on king's campus (for example macrobert bld.) are open 24/7 - so few people choose to stay there until they can't study any more... when we did our overdue project, we worked in macrobert till 3am) During pre-exam weeks u can b sure both libraries will be packed with medics (1st year and higher)

I think there are new kitchens or a new kitchen going in in Hillhead starting early June.
Really? New kitchens for the catered halls? (I wonder whether that means the quality of food will be improved too... or will it be dodgy food on brand new shiny plates, :p)

Speaking of food - what's the food like in the Hub? ('cuz if I live in Crombie, all my dinners will be there...)

Frank E

Really? New kitchens for the catered halls? (I wonder whether that means the quality of food will be improved too... or will it be dodgy food on brand new shiny plates, :p)
Yeah that's what I was thinking.
Forgot to ask about the hillhead job today and if it is in fact new kitchen/s.

Speaking of food - what's the food like in the Hub? ('cuz if I live in Crombie, all my dinners will be there...)
The hub has an excellent food court. I even changed jobs so I could be based at Kings and get a nice sit down lunch.

Foresterhill campus is pretty grim for food facilities though unless anyone knows of anywhere. Not sure how that changes with the Matthew Hay, are there any facilities in there?

Keeno

Foresterhill campus is pretty grim for food facilities though unless anyone knows of anywhere. Not sure how that changes with the Matthew Hay, are there any facilities in there?
Somerfield less than 10 minutes walk away ;) A full 2 mins from my back door as well :D

Don't think Suttie Centre has catering facilities. However the hospital canteen has pretty cheap food that isn't bad from what I hear. Apparently 70p for a portion of chips! Plus we get NHS staff prices. Never been there myself though. Might go tomorrow for the thrill!

Frank E

Somerfield less than 10 minutes walk away ;) A full 2 mins from my back door as well :D

Don't think Suttie Centre has catering facilities. However the hospital canteen has pretty cheap food that isn't bad from what I hear. Apparently 70p for a portion of chips! Plus we get NHS staff prices. Never been there myself though. Might go tomorrow for the thrill!
I forgot about Somerfield, thought it was further away than that.

Teh one along the corridor from Angiography. Sometimes I got NHS prices, sometimes was surcharged, it just depended who was on. It's not too bad but you need to get there early before they run out of some mains. IIIRC it's cheaper than the hub.

It certainly beats the canteen at my current worksite which has a wide selection of various forms of heart attack on a plate.:mad:

The hub? yeah, good downstaurs with subway and the shop, great. But with the dinners, absolutely awful. I'm pretty drunk rioght, now aswell but i can tell yo that the dinners are pretty bad. They cant cook pasta or whatever, they do try bless them but it just isn't enjoyablke like a good meal at TGI's.

I wish i didn;t drink so much. Enjoy next year guys, hopefully I'll be your academic father next year you legndsssssssssssss

Kensei

hopefully I'll be your academic father next year you legndsssssssssssss
I don't know why but I've got the feeling that few prospective first years lost their high spirits after reading this ;-P Seriously though - I would recommend Mr Tickles to everyone, as an academic dad and as a drinking buddy ;] Roll on September 2009 xD

Frank E

The hub? yeah, good downstaurs with subway and the shop, great. But with the dinners, absolutely awful. I'm pretty drunk rioght, now aswell but i can tell yo that the dinners are pretty bad. They cant cook pasta or whatever, they do try bless them but it just isn't enjoyablke like a good meal at TGI's.

I wish i didn;t drink so much. Enjoy next year guys, hopefully I'll be your academic father next year you legndsssssssssssss

Evryone needs a hobby!

keiran91

Just had a fantastic idea for a new student society. Ya know how you get like wine tasting societys at some uni's and whatever? How bout a cider tasting society?;) Definately make my university experience a lot lot better.

Capt'n Jack

Crombie Hall... woo hoo!
Seems that crombie is getting a bit of a hard time, anyone else going there? Personally I chose it cause it looked better, its closer to most facilities and although the food may be shocking- it is student accomodation at the end of the day. Its something like 149 quid for an ensuite, and since NCC is £116, it about £30 for food, which is quite reasonable i think. Go Crombie!!

Capt'n Jaaaack. Do you know your room?? I'm in crombie c-block as i type, i'm going to lerave a lengthy message for the owner next year :)

ruridh17

IM NORTH COURT TILL I DIE, IM NORTH COURT TILL I DIE. I KNOW I AM, IM SURE I AM, IM NORTH COURT TILL I DIE.

Staying anywhere else would be blasphemy

keiran91

Nobody seemed to take me up on my cider tasting society, awellll I'll start and participate in it myself then see who wants to join!

natamac

What? Esslemont House is obviously the best block in Hillhead even though no one has ever heard of it and Hector Boece gets all the ghetto status. But it is right behind the shop and you can see the bus stop from my kitchen.
Keiran - I think there is a whisky tasting society. You could infiltrate them and bring in cider.

Kensei

Well well well, it seems we have a little inter-dorm battle going on over here ;] Ok, time to advertise my option.. Spring Gardens, people... The only thing I can say is: AVOID AT ALL COSTS! ;] Unless you enjoy being woken up at 4am every night by screaming r-tards, and barely making it to the 9am lectures as a consequence.

You have been warned. :)