Halls of Residence

jitterbug

At first I thought the walk to Forresterhill would be bad but like Ruridh said I reckon its about the same as Marischal but maybe 5/10mins longer depending on how fast you walk! hehe I always walk now if we have to go up there because the buses can be pretty unreliable sometimes!!

elz

yea jitterbug, but we dont have to walk every day, only once in a blue moon. i think walking 50 mins there and back every day the whole time would be abit much.
i dont really think its uphill though? its just long.

Becca-Sarah

A friend of mine in second year lives on King Street and walks about an hour to Fhill each day. Tis cheaper than the gym...

From Hilly it can be done in less than half an hour without breaking a sweat!

I enjoy the walk to foresterhill. I just plug in and switch off and sometimes look behind me to see the road. Mmm. Doesn't take long either.

It is uphill all the way from Crombie, not steep, just gradual. Ain't called foresterhill for nothing!

Foresterflat or foresterplateau doesn't quite have the same....zing.

raghnall

I havnt been on this for so long!
Right hillhead is great to stay in. You get to meet so many different people that you just wouldnt in private accomadation, i always feel really safe here and it has pretty much everything you need on sight (shop, wateringhole, porters etc). I stay in Hector Boece and although i ticked the box to be in with other medics, im the only 1 in my flat. Actually this is not a problem because i have great flatmates and being at hillhead its really easy to meet up with other medics.
Hector Boece is to all extents and purposes the ghetto of hillhead but in saying this its totally liveable and the people are awesome.
The walk to foresterhill is not at all bad and its good for you, I'll have to walk just about the same route next year and dont mind at all.

Mabaza_Ritchie

If I were doing things again. I'd go self- catered in Hillhead (New Carnegie - its Beautiful) and use the summer to learn to cook rather than perfecting my xbox skills (im pretty good though ;))

To be honest though, I think the accommodation quality really composes of two key parts.

1. Your own ability to make the best of life and enjoy it all.

2. Who you get living around you. Thats the biggest point I think. Good flatmates make good 1st Year.

Kensei

Yeah, Itchy: go for the quality, not quantity. Or imagine the forum has a 5 line limit for sigs, it'll make it much more enjoyable to read ;)

Hello~
I know this thread hasn't been used in a couple of months, but hopefully someone'll read this.
I've got a question about the halls - I'm debating btn Hillhead & Crombie Johnston...

I was wondering whether the halls have, well, a "college" feel to them - I'm not really talking about drunken fresher parties... but do they have sport carnivals and formal dinners and the like?
Thanks guys! :)

keiran91

Hi littleorange bandaid:) i was in the same boat as you like a month ago but ended up going for hillhead, don't know why just liked the look of it! that you firmed aberdeen i take it yes? you just coming straight from school in australia or a graduate?:)

yeah. at the moment, i'm thinking hillhead, because I can stay there through the christmas break... all except, somebody told me crombie was better. hopefully, i can send my accom application this wkend (i hope there are still places... TwT). but, i'm still waiting for my acceptance certificate
i'm straight from school :) and you?

keiran91

yeh i'd try and make up your mind pretty quick if you actually want to get in to some of the better halls in hillhead or crombie! same with me, straight from school:) did you have to get an interview for aberdeen? i'd imagine it might be a bit of a nightmare coming from across the other side of the world haha...

natamac

Hi,

I would say Hillhead definitely has a college feel. It is nice having friends living in the next building and a pub in central building. They do organise things here too like playing the eurovision song contest in the dining hall and an end of year silent disco.
Can't speak for crombie-johnston though but I am sure it would have a very studenty feel to it too.

Frank E

Hello~
I know this thread hasn't been used in a couple of months, but hopefully someone'll read this.
I've got a question about the halls - I'm debating btn Hillhead & Crombie Johnston...

I was wondering whether the halls have, well, a "college" feel to them - I'm not really talking about drunken fresher parties... but do they have sport carnivals and formal dinners and the like?
Thanks guys! :)
There isn't formal hall in Aberdeen unfortunately.

As for living in Aberdeen as a student you can try before you buy now if you have an offer:
University of Aberdeen | Facebook

see top link

Crombie Johnston will place you nearer the Kings Pavilion and sports facilities.
Hillhead will place you nearer the bulk of students in halls.
I'd say Hillhead has a more collegy feel, just because most students in halls are there.

Last edited:
Aaargh! I hate it that I'm so indecisive - but thanks so much for all the info/advice!

I can't cook, so I have to go catered - and I discovered, if I want to be fed all year, I'll be kicked out at Christmas wherever I live...

I really like the sound of Hillhead - I wanna meet lots of people, and the eurovision contest & stuff sound super-awesome!! :D
However, the inner-nerd in me is really paranoid, and I'm wondering with all the people in hillhead's catered halls, is it actually possible to find some quiet and study when exam time comes? (Though, I suppose quietness is hard to find in any college...)

That being said, are there any medics going to live in Crombie this year? Freshers??
It's just that I've heard of loads of ppl going to Hillhead, but Crombie Johnston seems a bit left out...

yeh i'd try and make up your mind pretty quick if you actually want to get in to some of the better halls in hillhead or crombie! same with me, straight from school:) did you have to get an interview for aberdeen? i'd imagine it might be a bit of a nightmare coming from across the other side of the world haha...
I did have an interview, but in Malaysia - which is considerably cheaper & closer to home ;P
*haven't actually been to scotland/aberdeen yet.... but I'm uber-excited!* All I've know is.... it'll be cold.

Last edited: