Halls of Residence

JD scrubs

Hi all,

I was wondering if current Students at Aberdeen could give me a bit of advice. I now know that I will be heading up to Aberdeen to study Medicine in September 09, and I will be choosing which Halls of Residence to apply for.
Any thoughts or advice as to which halls are good and which halls are bad?
I think I'll need catered coz I can't cook! :)

Thanks. :D

Kensei

Hey JD,

Apart from the abovementioned Hillhead, the only other catered halls are Crombie/Johnstone. They're on King's campus - not particularly close to the hospital :/ So I guess It would be taking a bus (no 14) or a 30 minute walk to the lectures if u decided to stay there. There are no other (catered) Halls closer to Forresterhill.

Frank E

The company I worked for until December are working on a student residence at Foresterhill, might be for nurses though
It's pretty bad that there aren't halls nearer Foresterhill, considering the age of the Medical School and the time the meedicla school has been on the Foresterhill campus.

The university sold off the teaching college campus (previously Northern College of Education) to housing developers which flattened halls of residence within a short walking distance to Aberdeen Medical School.

Becca-Sarah

The reason there are no halls at F'hill is because first years are traditionally based at Marischal College in the city centre. The 2009 intake will be the first lot to get based at F'hill for their entire course.

Personally, Hillhead is such a great atmosphere.

I stay at Crombie/Johnston, but I have friends at Hillhead so I'm reguarly up there, the pub is fine and cheap too...quaint though. I'll miss hillhead next year...and crombie, it has a good atmosphere, but not quite to the standard of Hillhead.

And yes...it's full of 'kids'...i.e. first years i presumeeeeee

Keeno

Personally, Hillhead is such a great atmosphere.

I stay at Crombie/Johnston, but I have friends at Hillhead so I'm reguarly up there, the pub is fine and cheap too...quaint though. I'll miss hillhead next year...and crombie, it has a good atmosphere, but not quite to the standard of Hillhead.

And yes...it's full of 'kids'...i.e. first years i presumeeeeee
That's cos no one was allowed to stay in uni accommodation other than the Freshers!

tikitiboo

Live up at hillhead, that walk is great in the morning, despite the distance, you get all the chat and get to know a lot more people a lot better than if you live at Crombie Johnston. I live at C/J and its OK but I'd much rather live up at hillhead... Also, go to self catered because the food is absolutely awful and by christmas you will long to cook your own food!! A lot of my friends in halls now just buy braed and fillings for sandwiches because they can't take the food anymore!

natamac

Seems the grass is always greener.
I am up at Hillhead and would prefer to be in Johnston. Mainly because it is nearer to the city centre and general uni stuff so going to society meetings would be easier in the evenings. Being in a flat is nice though (I am in Esslemont) as you get to know people really well in your flat and have control over cooking.
Full of kids???? I am the youngest in my flat and I am 20.

Well, when you're 39, everyone our age is 'kids'.

Tad arrogant, but we'll let this one go. Don't want a 'Health Issues around Aberdeen' starting up ;)

Becca-Sarah

I'm in Hector B and I love it! The walk to uni in the morning saves on all that gym membership stuff and makes sure you're at least awake before lectures. The No 14 bus is only just across Seaton Park and goes straight to the front door of ARI, or the walk to Fhill isn't too bad. My flatmate is complaining that we only have to walk to King's in the summer term so she'll get no exercise anymore!
Living at Hilly is great for meeting non-medics, and Natamac is right, it's defo not full of kids. The catered places may be, I'm not sure, but the self catered blocks are pretty mature. The average age in my flat is around 23, and our entire block (of 36 people) is pretty quiet and great for studying. The rooms look mank to start with, but once you get your stuff in it's cosy and I wouldn't want to have lived anywhere else this year.
If you play hockey, the astro pitches are just across the road, and lots of sports teams practice on Seaton Park which is right next door. And we have our own tennis courts and a hall for badminton/table tennis. And our own take away :D Gotta love Quismat. And the Watering Hole!! Where else do you have a cheap bar showing all the major sports matches literally on your doorstep?!

ruridh17

Beecca Sarah i could not disagree more. No matter how many times i have walked to uni from hillhead, i still feel the same overwhelming urge just to test myself to see how long i can hover between consciousness and sleep... dont deny it.

Hillhead is a pretty awesome place to stay. I stay at north court, so i am in a block of about 60people. we mostly all get on really well and most of them, with the exception of my flatmates are non medics. this is great as it does all ow you to meet other people and not get caught up wth the monotony that can sometimes be medicine.

Also, if you stay in hillhead there is a good chance that anyone you meet will find a link between someone else relating back to you.

The wateringhole is bordering legendary, qismat is the saviour and keith, dont even get me started on Keith House. good times.

but anyhoo, hillhead is a definate option, and the walk is good. catching up on the bant is always a plus and you save a fair but on the bus.

Frank E

Well, when you're 39, everyone our age is 'kids'.

Tad arrogant, but we'll let this one go. Don't want a 'Health Issues around Aberdeen' starting up ;)
A friend stayed in Hillhead halls in first year. He was the grand old age of 24. He ended up quite depressed due to being so far out of town, the other residents being younger, crashing in at all times making lots of noise, partying all the time and being rather deficient in the domestic skills department.
I've heard similar complaints from students who are 18, so it's not a comment at their age, more a comment on the behaviour of a significant minority who have bit more growing up than others to do.

There are folk in their 40s, 50s and beyond who act like that, stay in Travelodge on a Saturday night when you're working the next morning.

tikitiboo

I think what you're saying, Frank, is that you stated the obvious because there are folk like that in ALL student accommodation.

elz

personally i think staying at hillhead when your based at foresterhill will be a nightmare. you have to walk to the no 14 bus stop and the buses are only every half an hour and quite often never turn up and you end up waiting an hour! grrr i hate that bus! i doubt you'd want to walk the 50 minutes early every morning. i dont know whether crombie johnston would be better, or else maybe another unite closer to town.

ps. i think youd kind of expect halls to be full of young students wouldnt you?

Last edited:

ruridh17

Guys give it a break. To be even applying to accomodation for a first year course you have to expect there to be a large majority of 18-19 year olds. First year is about enjoying yourself and no matter how much people tell you that first year medic students cant enjoy themselves.... dont listen to them. I had just as much fun as a medic as the rest of the people doing other courses did.

Secondly Frank E, grow up. Of course there will always be people crashing and banging about at all hours and if you are applying to hillhead then begin to expect the worst. You are moving into student accomodation for gods sake, not the freaking hilton.

Elz, staying at hillhead and going to foressterhill is not as much as a nightmare as you would expect. It is about teh same amount of time to walk to marishcall and as usual the bant is always class. Dont judge a walk by its looks, just because it is longer than 10minutes doesnt mean it will be bad.

Frank E

Hillhead to Marischal is pretty flat, slight slope at Spital and Gallowgate. Hillhead to Foresterhill is like the name Foresterhill suggests ... uphill, a pretty forboding hill at that.

Last edited:

ruridh17

Funny you should ask. I am a first year student currently living in Hillhead. Maybe I was a bit extreme when i said grow up but to be fiar i think that if you are moving to student accomodation then you have to come to expect that there will be people who have never lived away from home before, and this is a very big thing. Especially when everyone else is in the same situation and suddenly going out on weekdays is an option

The walk to foresterhill is not as foreboding as you suggest it is probably on a par with the walk to marischal, either way you are not going to be climbing K2 to get anywhere.